+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the risk involved in travelleing outside Canada before receiving PR Card

upr

Aug 4, 2012
As per new laws-PR Card for me is applied automatically at the Airport
I landed at Pearson Int. Airport on 19th July, 2012 and PR card applied automatically.

I travelled outside Canada after 9 days.

Supplementary Application Form with specific size of photos were already submitted at the time of issuance of Immigrant visa.

What are the risks involved if a person travelled out of Canada before receiving PR card?

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you enter back you need to prove that you are eligible resident of Canada

1.) If you are entering Canada by road (non commercial vechile), your COPR will be sufficient
2.) If you are travelling by a commercial transport you will need a Travel Document - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
upr said:
As per new laws-PR Card for me is applied automatically at the Airport
I landed at Pearson Int. Airport on 19th July, 2012 and PR card applied automatically.

I travelled outside Canada after 9 days.

Supplementary Application Form with specific size of photos were already submitted at the time of issuance of Immigrant visa.

What are the risks involved if a person travelled out of Canada before receiving PR card?
A landed immigrant can travel out of Canada without the card.
He/she is allowed to re-enter with the copy of COPR only if he/she is entering from USA by road.
If travelling from any country to Canada including USA by flight he/she require a travel document (PRTD).

nsharif

Star Member
Jun 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-12-2009
Doc's Request.
02-11-2009
AOR Received.
24-01-2010
File Transfer...
12-11-2009
Med's Request
13-03-2012
Med's Done....
03-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-07-2012 ( sent 6th July and received by LVO 9th July)
VISA ISSUED...
26-07-2012 ( PP received 9th Aug)
LANDED..........
10-09-2012
wilson said:
He/she is allowed to re-enter with the copy of COPR only if he/she is entering from USA by road.
If travelling from any country to Canada including USA by flight he/she require a travel document (PRTD).
Hello Wilson
Would you please clear my point on the same issue?

I want to land temporary ( say for 3~4 weeks) and willing return back herein GCC, my working place. I will give mailing address one of my friend for PR card delivery. My friend can courier it to me. When I get the PR card in my hand then still I need travel document (PRTD) to re-enter after few months?

Thanks in advance

nsharif

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nsharif said:
Hello Wilson
Would you please clear my point on the same issue?

I want to land temporary ( say for 3~4 weeks) and willing return back herein GCC, my working place. I will give mailing address one of my friend for PR card delivery. My friend can courier it to me. When I get the PR card in my hand then still I need travel document (PRTD) to re-enter after few months?

Thanks in advance

nsharif
Of course, there is no problem. Travel document is only necessary for re-entry when a Permanent Resident is not in possession of the PR card.

upr

Aug 4, 2012
Dear nsharif,

Congrats on your Immigrant visa. If you have an intention to return to GCC before receiving your PR card which you are allowed for but there may be a chance that the CIC center will call you for he PR card size photos.

The photos I also have submitted with the updated information form when they asked for the passports. It happened with many and you can find on this forum also that so many were called after a month or so for the photos either for one or one of the family members.

I also returned to GCC on the 10th day because of my job but I have applied for the Travel documnet in the Canadian embassy here just to be on safe side. If they would call me for the photos I would be having a Travel documnet and so I can re-enter Canada.

Note: It's only a chance that the CIC center call someone for the photos. It's not a must procedure.

Good Luck.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
wilson said:
Technically a travel document is required. Realistically it is not. Immigration status is held on the computer system which the officer can check at the airport, so even without COPR they can check your status in Canada against the passport number.

My understanding is that the bigger problem when flying to Canada by air is that sometimes the airlines will not allow a one-way flight without PR card, since they get nervous and do not want to fly you back at their own expense if you can't enter Canada.

Both myself and my wife re-entered Canada after landing and neither of us had our PR cards and neither of us had travel documents. I did have my COPR, and my wife had a photocopy of the PR card which had arrived in Canada so I copied this and sent it to her.

Wayne.