+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the difference between a Settler, former resident and a PR...?

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
hi all,

what is the difference between a permanent resident , a former resident and a settler?.....how can the Immigration officer classify me as one of these 3 ?

if i tell the officer i am here to establish my PR without telling him that I will be for a short period will i be a PR or a settler?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Permanent Resident :A person who is not a Canadian citizen but has the right to enter or remain in Canada with an approval of permanent resident visa and maintains the obligation of permanent residency by living in Canada for two years of every five years.

Settler:

Ref:
Guidelines and General Information >Who are Considered Settlers?
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html#_a4

1.settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

2. Persons coming to Canada for the purpose of employment for a period exceeding 36 months (other than United States preclearance personnel) are, on first arrival, considered to be settlers to Canada.

3. Persons already residing in Canada as temporary residents for employment purposes (other than United States preclearance personnel) that have their employment authorization extended, such that the continuous duration of employment in Canada will exceed 36 months, become settlers to Canada

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
wilson said:
Permanent Resident :A person who is not a Canadian citizen but has the right to enter or remain in Canada with an approval of permanent resident visa and maintains the obligation of permanent residency by living in Canada for two years of every five years.

Settler:

Ref:
Guidelines and General Information >Who are Considered Settlers?
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html#_a4

1.settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

2. Persons coming to Canada for the purpose of employment for a period exceeding 36 months (other than United States preclearance personnel) are, on first arrival, considered to be settlers to Canada.

3. Persons already residing in Canada as temporary residents for employment purposes (other than United States preclearance personnel) that have their employment authorization extended, such that the continuous duration of employment in Canada will exceed 36 months, become settlers to Canada
Dear Wislon,

as usual,u come to rescue with accurate information ,thanks again,but I would appreciate if u can clear this doubt, if during my landing i showed that I will stay for a short period,will the officer decline to proceed with my PR card application and classify me as a settler or what?....
2- how about if I say i came to stay permanantly and after some time i go back to my home country and again once i re-enter wont they cause problems since i changed my situation from first entry.

thanks

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ramzy,

Next day or even same day after landing, you can return from Canada to your country of residence. The problem is that, in order to get the benefits of a Permanent Resident you should be in Canada and maintain your permanent residency such as medical insurance, child benefits, tax relief etc....

Any number of of time you can exit and re-enter Canada with your PR Card.

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
wilson said:
Hi ramzy,

Next day or even same day after landing, you can return from Canada to your country of residence. The problem is that, in order to get the benefits of a Permanent Resident you should be in Canada and maintain your permanent residency such as medical insurance, child benefits, tax relief etc....

Any number of of time you can exit and re-enter Canada with your PR Card.
Captain Wilson thanks a lot,

mentioning the PR card , i know the IO will fill the card application for us,but to make things smoother I want to fill and print the PR card application ( IMM 5444E) my question, do I have to fill for every family member, or only the principal applicant .eventhough we all are landing together as family.?

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramzy2277 said:
Captain Wilson thanks a lot,

mentioning the PR card , i know the IO will fill the card application for us,but to make things smoother I want to fill and print the PR card application ( IMM 5444E) my question, do I have to fill for every family member, or only the principal applicant .eventhough we all are landing together as family.?
Hi ramzy,

You dont have to fill up the form IMM 5444E.

Your PR application process is deemed complete when you receive your PR cards.This application is for people with permanent resident status in Canada.Therefore, when you are just at the POE you are still not a PR. I understand that it is a little bit misleading when you check question # 3 on this form. This is actually for people who have never received PR cards. Please scroll down to question 24. Also, if you check the guidelines for this form (pg 5 ) it has a box asking for a payment of fees. You dont have to pay any FEES for the PR card when you complete your landing formalities. This form is not for people who are landing for the first time.

Mitali

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with mitali.

Lot of new immigrants are completing and submitting the form 5444E, along with their COPR while landing, which goes to the trash.

According CIC :

Learn when to get a PR card

If you are immigrating as a permanent resident, CIC will mail your card to you when you get to Canada. You do not need to apply for a card.

You may want to apply for a PR card if:

you did not get one when you immigrated to Canada,
you have one that has expired or will soon expire, or
your card was lost, stolen or damaged.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
hi all,

by the grace of Almighty ALLAH, we successfully landed at toronto before yesterday,still trying to adjust with the time zone difference.

regarding the PR card,i gave the officer a residential address and he told me it might take up to 6 weeks to recieve it,but in the cic website the processing time is 55 days so is there a chance to receive it earlier?

also why didnt my e=CAS status changed to complete?...it still shows DECISION MADE but my current home address changed to the address i gave?

also the custom officer ticked the setller box in my B4 ?......dont know if that is good or might complicate things,as i will leave as soon as we got our OR cards then come back in few months.....

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Welcome ramzy to Canada. Everything looks fine. Don't worry about the term of settler, which is normal for new immigrants. Forget about your ECAS now. You have lot of other things to do. Good luck!

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
wilson said:
Welcome ramzy to Canada. Everything looks fine. Don't worry about the term of settler, which is normal for new immigrants. Forget about your ECAS now. You have lot of other things to do. Good luck!
@wilson,

million thanks to u and ur assistance all the time. apart from SIN card+health insurance+bank account ,what else u suggest i do.i got a wind telephone card and usb still for the internet....i am still trying to figure things out?...by the way wilson may i know where u at?..r u in toronto?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am based at Milton, at present in Charlotte, North Carolina. Will be back by August.
As you are planning to leave shortly, you don't need a permanent house or job. Visit the community center near to your place where you may find some assistance and guidance there for the new comers.

sunasir

Champion Member
Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ISD-LND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 25,2013
Dear Wilson
If somebody could not complete 2 out of 5 years in Canada ,What w'd be the status ? c'd somebody retain PR for next 5 years and how?

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunasir said:
Dear Wilson
If somebody could not complete 2 out of 5 years in Canada ,What w'd be the status ? c'd somebody retain PR for next 5 years and how?
The status without PR would be "Illegal" in Canada. If you lose your PR status then you have to start all over again.

Mitali

ashmita87

Aug 30, 2021
Hi Wilson, Mitali,
I have a Question regarding the BSF 186 and BSF186A forms.

I landed at Vancouver Airport in 24th June 2019 and completed my landing procedure then. When the Immigration officer asked me if I had the BSF186/BSF186A forms with me, I said I didn't have them on me. I told the officer I had come to complete the landing procedure and planned to fly back to the USA in 2 days. I asked the officer if it was mandatory for me to fill the BSF186,BSF186A forms as I wasn't going to leave anything behind in Canada when I departed after 2 days. I told them that I planned to move in the next 12 months and not now, since my Passport arrived just 2 weeks before, with a time limit of 4 weeks to complete my landing procedure. Hence I hadn't gotten the time to wrap things up in the USA and plan my move. The Officer told me that I should have the forms with me when I plan to move to Canada Permanently. He didn't say it's mandatory to fill the forms and didn't even force me to do the same.

I returned within 2 days on 26th june 2019.

Due to Covid-19 in 2020, I couldn't move as I was uncertain of the border restrictions, especially on Canadian side. I knew that USA wouldn't let me enter on H1B Visa. So I decided to play safe and stayed in USA till it was safe to travel and restrictions were lifted. On each website of cic, only the Border closed notifications could be seen. I could see travel restrictions in place and only people required for Care, Medical, Transport, Family assistance were being exempted from travel.

I recently moved in july 2021, after all restrictions were lifted for fully vaccinated individuals, only then did i see that PR holders were openly being mentioned as welcomed and exempted from travel restrictions. However, at Toronto Airport when I presented by B4 and B4a forms and Mover's inventory and my own inventory list, the officer refused to sign, saying it had been 2 years since I received my PR and that I should have completed these forms in 2019 itself at Vancouver. When I explained what happened at Vancouver, she simply said 'I always force all my clients to fill up the BSF186 and BSF186A forms even if they are here for 2 days.' I told her I understood her view point, but I can't help it that the officer at Vancouver told me something different and didn't make me complete my forms. She said worst case I would have to pay Duty.

I am completely at a loss for what to do, as I have my shipment arriving in 2 weeks and I am afraid I may have to pay a large amount in Duty. :(

Any advice???