+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is my citizenship?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm a little confused about what to list under the citizenship question on my application. I am originally from country A. I hold a travel document from country B. In this travel document it says my nationality is country A.
To make things more complicated. I also have a passport from country A. This passport does not allow me to travel back to country A (even though it is issued by that country's embassy). So I always use the travel document issued by country B whenever I travel.

Under the citizenship question, do I list myself as a citizen of country A?
or do I list myself as a citizen of both country A and B? (If a country provides me a travel document, does that mean I can list myself as a citizen of that country?)
or do I list myself as a citizen of country B only? (Since I only ever use the travel document for travelling, visas, and etc.).

Thank you for your help! I know how messy this is.. :(

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Hi Everyone,

I'm a little confused about what to list under the citizenship question on my application. I am originally from country A. I hold a travel document from country B. In this travel document it says my nationality is country A.
To make things more complicated. I also have a passport from country A. This passport does not allow me to travel back to country A (even though it is issued by that country's embassy). So I always use the travel document issued by country B whenever I travel.

or do I list myself as a citizen of both country A and B? (If a country provides me a travel document, does that mean I can list myself as a citizen of that country?)
or do I list myself as a citizen of country B only? (Since I only ever use the travel document for travelling, visas, and etc.).

Do you hold a passport from birth Country A and Country B? If so, then just pick one country.

If you only hold a passport from one country then that is your country of citizenship. I can't say for certain without knowing exactly what yours is, but a travel document isn't normally a document of citizenship. Much like a Canadian Permanent Residence card doesn't make one a citizen of Canada.

Reactions: DimT44

frange

May 25, 2018
Do you hold a passport from birth Country A and Country B? If so, then just pick one country.

If you only hold a passport from one country then that is your country of citizenship. I can't say for certain without knowing exactly what yours is, but a travel document isn't normally a document of citizenship. Much like a Canadian Permanent Residence card doesn't make one a citizen of Canada.
I don't know why this confusion.

He has a passport from Country A, and a travel document in country B.
Normally, you are a citizen of country A since you have its passport.
A travel document or an immigration doc is not a proof of citizenship.

Last edited:

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC

Whoops, that should have read:

Do you hold a passport from both Country A and Country B?

Reactions: DimT44

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

A travel document does not mean you have citizenship.

A passport means you have citizenship.

List your citizenship as country A.

frange

May 25, 2018
I have a refugee travel document from B and a passport from A.
We already told you that. You are citizen of a country you have birth certificate of or its passport.
An immigration doc is not a proof of citizenship. A refugee travel doc is considered as an immigration doc.

Reactions: UBC 2017 and DimT44

UBC 2017

Apr 8, 2017
I have a refugee travel document from B and a passport from A.
Put country A as your citizenship, if you provide country B travel document as refugee, they will consider you as "Stateless"
This happened to someone I know, he is Palestinian refugee with travel document from Lebanon, but he does not have a passport from the Palestinian territory. He put "Palestinian territory" as nationality and yet it says on his visa and study permit " Stateless".

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Thank you all for clarifying. I think it's clearer now to me how to proceed with this.
So I will list country A as my citizenship country, even though the travel document from country B is my main travel document.

Thanks for taking the time to answering my question!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You are citizen of a country you have birth certificate of or its passport.
For clarity: there are many countries and circumstances where having a birth certificate from a country does not indicate citizenship; they are not one and the same thing.

And while rare, there are circumstances where one may carry a passport from a country and not have that country's citizenship - which is one reason why passports have a 'citizenship' line on the tombstone data page. (Again, this is rare - I don't think Canada ever does this but not certain; but it does exist in some circumstances).

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
I don't know why this confusion.

He has a passport from Country A, and a travel document in country B.
Normally, you are a citizen of country A since you have its passport.
A travel document or an immigration doc is not a proof of citizenship.
A passport is not a proof (at least for some countries) for the citizenship. In other words, you can have a passport from a country A without being a citizen of that country.

Reactions: Underhill

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A passport is not a proof (at least for some countries) for the citizenship. In other words, you can have a passport from a country A without being a citizen of that country.
In most cases it is IF the passport says the holder is a citizen. Ie the citizenship field says "citizenship : A"

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
In most cases it is IF the passport says the holder is a citizen. Ie the citizenship field says "citizenship : A"
Even with that, in some cases, it's not. One example is the forfeiture of nationality (i.e., denaturalization). That's why, sometimes, they ask for a certificate (from the Court) up to date

Reactions: armoured