+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is considered a serious disease?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
so, serious from this point of view is an illness that prevents you to function in society. for example, it is so severe that you cannot work or go to school.

let's say someone has cancer. it is serious because the illness keeps the person from working and has a toll on the medical system and social services.

something like diabetes, thyroid malfunctions....not so serious because you can live with these and be a productive member of society.
Diabetes is actually a very serious and expensive disease and leads to many people being disabled.

BaliAshmita

Jun 22, 2019
Diabetes is actually a very serious and expensive disease and leads to many people being disabled.
yes, technically you are correct. but, depending on the individual condition on the severity and management of the disease which will be indicated by tests and Dr evaluation, they may be able to pass the medical exam. but if they are on the verge of losing a toe because of it, yes, it is severe enough not to pass the medical exam. My assumption was a regular person with diabetes that has to just monitor their glucose level and use insulin regularly and their condition has remained the same and under control for a long time.

In a very general view, yes you are correct, even controlled diabetes is a serious matter, I did not mean to downplay anyone's situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes, technically you are correct. but, depending on the individual condition on the severity and management of the disease which will be indicated by tests and Dr evaluation, they may be able to pass the medical exam. but if they are on the verge of losing a toe because of it, yes, it is severe enough not to pass the medical exam. My assumption was a regular person with diabetes that has to just monitor their glucose level and use insulin regularly and their condition has remained the same and under control for a long time.

In a very general view, yes you are correct, even controlled diabetes is a serious matter, I did not mean to downplay anyone's situation.
Long term diabetics often have vascular disease and kidney disease. So you are often looking at potential dialysis or transplant. Often you can run into mobility issues due to vascular issues or neuritis. So you could be looking at the cost of mobility aids. The cost of insulin is also quite high so if you have other conditions that could add to the cost, Then there is the cost of diabetic supplies, Potential pumps, blood sugar monitors that are applied weekly for diabetics that have poor control for various reasons, etc. Diabetes was just not a good example.

BaliAshmita

Jun 22, 2019
Long term diabetics often have vascular disease and kidney disease. So you are often looking at potential dialysis or transplant. Often you can run into mobility issues due to vascular issues or neuritis. So you could be looking at the cost of mobility aids. The cost of insulin is also quite high so if you have other conditions that could add to the cost, Then there is the cost of diabetic supplies, Potential pumps, blood sugar monitors that are applied weekly for diabetics that have poor control for various reasons, etc. Diabetes was just not a good example.

ok, I agree :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was treated for early stage syphilis - should I tick 'yes' to this question?
No since it should be quickly treated with a penicillin injection which you should have already received once you were diagnosed. Also it is an easily preventable infection.

Reactions: w1t

w1t

Jul 16, 2019
No since it should be quickly treated with a penicillin injection which you should have already received once you were diagnosed. Also it is an easily preventable infection.
Thanks for your reply. Just on the 'easily preventable' note- I caught it from kissing and it presented as a sore throat. It shows how getting tested for STIs regularly is important!

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is crazy how many people are posting about having syphilis on this forum or mention catching it again. It puzzles me as to why people are not more concerned about preventing the infection in a first place. Unfortunately you end up with STIs which become much harder to treat like this super gonorrhea strain.

clvcanada

Jun 29, 2018
Not really, I saw your comment when submitting the application and marked YES for this question on "Serious disease", now they came back with a Procedural fairness letter asking me more details on the that question.
Hi Ivcan1991, Have your heard back from IRCC after explain your case to them? Did you get your PPR?

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
ok, has anyone on this forum got PPR after answering YES to this question? Did you come across any?
hi
can you please share what happened after the fairness letter.? Was ur PR approved without any issues once u explained your condition. They they asked for many more tests based on same?

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Hi Ivcan1991, Have your heard back from IRCC after explain your case to them? Did you get your PPR?
hi
did u also got fairness letter and got PR?. I am confuised with this question. Do you had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder.. For diabetes I am anyway going to share with panelled doctor with all history and we dont' feel its serious etc as its in good control..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi
did u also got fairness letter and got PR?. I am confuised with this question. Do you had any serious disease or physical or mental disorder.. For diabetes I am anyway going to share with panelled doctor with all history and we dont' feel its serious etc as its in good control..
The question doesn't lead to automatic refusal. It will always depend on the cost of caring for your condition.