+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is considered a serious disease?

ashaf79

Sep 12, 2009
Dear all,
There is a question in background form:
HAVE YOU HAD ANY SERIOUS DISEASE OR PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISORDER?

I know 'serious' can mean different things to different people but generally are typhoid and jaundice considered serious diseases to be mentioned here? Did you guys mention such diseases for your forms?

Your urgent help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: srini_r

SF2005

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
I think they mean a disease requiring hospitalization or one which might be considered very contagious and possibly terminal.
Eg. Hepatitis B/C/D, HIV/AIDS, Cancer,Tuberculosis (although not normally deadly, post HIV/AIDS most countries would like to watch this closely).

I hope this helps.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SF2005 answered perfectly.
According to me we cannot give an exact definition to the CIC's question - 'any Serious Disease' - because CIC did not list particular diseases like the visa application for some other country.

If the applicant had any history of life threatening disease during the past years, admitted and treated in hospital, that can be shown. But it does not mean that the applicant will be disqualified for PR application. Health condition is assessed by a medical by the DMP.

canada plus

Star Member
Nov 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 24th, 2011
I second this idea !

SF2005 said:
I think they mean a disease requiring hospitalization or one which might be considered very contagious and possibly terminal.
Eg. Hepatitis B/C/D, HIV/AIDS, Cancer,Tuberculosis (although not normally deadly, post HIV/AIDS most countries would like to watch this closely).

I hope this helps.

Reactions: elisemacale

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
well, the question here, will you ever be accused of misrepresentation because of the answer you provided for this question?!
they haven't defined what 'serious' means! should we worry that we may be misrepresenting facts if we don't mention a disease we believe is not serious?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
C_Survival said:
well, the question here, will you ever be accused of misrepresentation because of the answer you provided for this question?!
they haven't defined what 'serious' means! should we worry that we may be misrepresenting facts if we don't mention a disease we believe is not serious?
The simple rule is "if you are not sure, declare it" and let CIC decide what is important.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Yes -- normal infectious disease, like flu or herpes, probably doesn't need to be mentioned. Serious infectious or serious chronic disease, like TB (which frequently is fatal), kidney failure, or hepatitis, should be mentioned. Jaundice, mentioned above, isn't a disease but a symptom. In general, err on the side of caution, I suspect that CIC will not be amused by people trying to pretend that they didn't think active TB was 'serious'. For chronic diseases, the more pressing or the more expensive they are, the greater the need to mention; for infectious diseases, the combination of infectiousness and seriousness should be the determinant. For example, flu is highly infectious, but not that serious (don't mention); HIV is not very infectious, but very serious (mention); measles is very infectious and reasonably serious but having it once means that it is no longer a concern for you or people around you (don't mention). Decide yourself, but decide seriously, and don't play games with CIC's lack of definition.

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
I wasn't intended to play with the lack of definitions, I know medical exams are going to show all my history anyways.
I had a history of Cancer that I never looked at as a serious condition. it was localized and I had a one day surgery and never really needed any further treatment, and it was more than 5 years ago.

I said no on the background form since I really didn't think of it as a serious condition, and I know I will be visiting this history on the medical exams. I didn't even think of it at the time.

I am just hoping this won't be seen as misrepresentation

mahshid775

Dec 15, 2014
C_Survival said:
I wasn't intended to play with the lack of definitions, I know medical exams are going to show all my history anyways.
I had a history of Cancer that I never looked at as a serious condition. it was localized and I had a one day surgery and never really needed any further treatment, and it was more than 5 years ago.

I said no on the background form since I really didn't think of it as a serious condition, and I know I will be visiting this history on the medical exams. I didn't even think of it at the time.

I am just hoping this won't be seen as misrepresentation
Hi sir , would you please tell us if you have done your medical and if that saying "no" on background form caused any problems?

Thanks a lot

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
Hello, @C_Survival, I am interested to know if CIC accused you of "misrepresentation" for not click "yes" in the application form while you presented it to the panel doctor for the medical exam? Thanks!

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hello, @C_Survival, I am interested to know if CIC accused you of "misrepresentation" for not click "yes" in the application form while you presented it to the panel doctor for the medical exam? Thanks!
this thread is from 2014, not sure the person is still active.
in all cases, better be straightforward and declare everything

SaiLL7mj

Mar 4, 2018
this thread is from 2014, not sure the person is still active.
in all cases, better be straightforward and declare everything
agree, but in many cases, people don't even think of it as serious, so they just intrinsically select no. But I think if you report it during the medical exam, it is still not the case of "misrepresentation"

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
agree, but in many cases, people don't even think of it as serious, so they just intrinsically select no. But I think if you report it during the medical exam, it is still not the case of "misrepresentation"
just report everything. there's no "Select no" for medicals as far as i remember