Med's Done....
30-12-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2016
Background check and criminality check is same, when they do your criminality check it means same as background with name and date of birth verification check same time.

background check is verification of your name, date of birth and country you claim to be from. if its application for citizenship background check is first thing they do about addresses, places of work and verification with info of the database in CRA and Service Canada and basic residency calculation.

then next weeks its about digging your criminality and security checks inside and outside Canada, and they see any red flag they will ask for further info sooner or later when you meet judge.
so if BG deals with basic residency calculation , whats purpose Physical Presence check then?
thanks

iam still waiting for my Physical Presence, Language and Prohibitions to go for Completed, but not yet

simkauo6o

May 24, 2023
Read this:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/the-anatomy-of-a-background-check-in-depth-analysis.500146/

In short,

Criminality and Security together are background checks. Criminality check is performed by RCMP, and Security by CSIS. Eligibility just means checking whether you're qualified to become a citizen (tax filings, physical presence, language proof etc.)
Does that mean security screening, eligibility check & criminal check are all part of 'background check'? I am not sure if they are done at the same time but seems to me they are the same thing (in terms of how IRCC processes the applications). Every time I request an update from IRCC, they hit me with 'We are checking your eligibility & your background check is being processed.' It honestly throws me off!

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Does that mean security screening, eligibility check & criminal check are all part of 'background check'? I am not sure if they are done at the same time but seems to me they are the same thing (in terms of how IRCC processes the applications). Every time I request an update from IRCC, they hit me with 'We are checking your eligibility & your background check is being processed.' It honestly throws me off!
Background check (BGC) is a generic term for criminality, security and information sharing. Three federal bodies work together to do immigration and citizenship screenings:
    • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
    • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
    • Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)

Reactions: simkauo6o

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
In my understanding........ background check would be verifying all the address, employment histories, passports/ citizenships etc, collecting fingerprints and running an initial criminal history check.

Background sets the stage for Prohibitions which pretty much digs into criminal/ security aspects.

Language, Prohibitions and Physical Presence will be followed by Citizenship Test and Oath. Most folks do complete their citizenship test before the LPP though!

Reactions: simkauo6o

simkauo6o

May 24, 2023
Background check (BGC) is a generic term for criminality, security and information sharing. Three federal bodies work together to do immigration and citizenship screenings:
    • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
    • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
    • Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
thank you, that helps sm :)

Reactions: pcuma and Raptor33

simkauo6o

May 24, 2023
In my understanding........ background check would be verifying all the address, employment histories, passports/ citizenships etc, collecting fingerprints and running an initial criminal history check.

Background sets the stage for Prohibitions which pretty much digs into criminal/ security aspects.

Language, Prohibitions and Physical Presence will be followed by Citizenship Test and Oath. Most folks do complete their citizenship test before the LPP though!
thank you :)

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020
With the caveat that I am NOT an expert, among the comments I have made about this subject, and specifically in those you quote, I have addressed the fact that references to background, security, and criminal checks or clearances, can be and often are used in various senses, sometimes specifically in reference to a particular clearance, but more often generally. In many if not most interactions with a call centre agent, it is near impossible to be sure . . . as I have oft noted, the call centre agents can be prone to giving more or less stock answers in cases where the application is in process waiting for the next step. NOT informative. NOT illuminating. All the applicant learns is that there is no apparent problem, the file is active, and the applicant will continue to be in WAIT mode.

Whether there is some issue with the application to be worried about is fact-specific to the individual application. The vast majority of qualified applicants who followed the instructions, and who properly, truthfully, and completely provided the information and documents required, and who genuinely do NOT KNOW of any reason for concern, almost certainly HAVE NO REASON for CONCERN, NO CAUSE to WORRY. All they need to do is WAIT, wait and watch for communication from IRCC and respond to the next communication accordingly.

Wait times tend to be significantly longer than many if not most applicants apprehend. Some get through rather quickly (and their cases tend to mislead others into thinking they too will soon be done). But many more will need to WAIT. And this year it is quite likely the WAIT time is longer than it has been for a few years (due in most part to huge surge in applications last quarter of 2017 and the implementation of major changes, which large bureaucracies like IRCC are NOT known to be good at).

If in contrast you are aware of a potential issue in your case, well that is what it is.

BUT if you know of no reason to worry other than it seeming to take longer than you anticipated, odds are very good there is indeed NOTHING to worry about . . . it is just about waiting. You might see notice of the next step tomorrow, or not for . . . things can take awhile.

No reason to feel lost. The process goes on behind the curtains. That's how it works for everyone else as well.
I have a question please.
On my citizenship application in the section where it asks if you have had any previous immigration or citizenship status (including your country), I only put my country. I later saw that statuses like student, worker and visitor visas were meant to be declared.
Ideally, to the best of my knowledge I answered genuinely because I thought that part only asked for citizenship status elsewhere..
However, due to my curiosity, i have been reading forums and watching videos and spotted the mistake I made.
Also, note that there was a section that asked if I have lived in another country in the last 5 yrs which I answered truthfully and included the police report of that country.
My question or worry now is if I should just wait it out and see if it isn't an issue or declare it now. Your message said the checks are done by RCMP and CSIS. Will they flag the omission? Also, this information was already given during my PR application. Will it be a big issue with my processing? I know it has been a long time since this thread, I hope I can get a response.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have a question please.
On my citizenship application in the section where it asks if you have had any previous immigration or citizenship status (including your country), I only put my country. I later saw that statuses like student, worker and visitor visas were meant to be declared.
Ideally, to the best of my knowledge I answered genuinely because I thought that part only asked for citizenship status elsewhere..
However, due to my curiosity, i have been reading forums and watching videos and spotted the mistake I made.
Also, note that there was a section that asked if I have lived in another country in the last 5 yrs which I answered truthfully and included the police report of that country.
My question or worry now is if I should just wait it out and see if it isn't an issue or declare it now. Your message said the checks are done by RCMP and CSIS. Will they flag the omission? Also, this information was already given during my PR application. Will it be a big issue with my processing? I know it has been a long time since this thread, I hope I can get a response.
You are addressing a post from nearly five years ago and in a thread which is at most tangentially related to your question. Note, for example, while my post referred to checks done by RCMP and CSIS, it also discussed checks done in GCMS and other screening including inquiries utilizing open sources. Moreover, as discussed in many related discussions since the one you quote, background screening can involve referrals to CBSA and its NSSD for investigation.

I do not know, but it is my GUESS that the information omitted from your application is more likely to be noted in the GCMS check, and if there is a concern (I cannot guess whether there will be a concern or not), referred to CBSA and its NSSD for investigation.

Also note that despite how detailed some of the information is that I post and discuss, I am NO expert and I am especially NOT qualified to offer personal advice. I can offer general advice, like a citizenship applicant can submit corrections to their application using the webform, or if they wait, to be prepared to address questions about the errors in the application during an interview.

I cannot say whether or not IRCC will consider the sort of omissions you describe to be misrepresentation. I cannot guess to what extent it will be problematic, but my guess, emphasizing that it is ONLY a guess, is that IRCC will either see the omissions as a mistake or at least accept an explanation they are a mistake, if they focus on them much at all. But of course that could depend on a range of particular factors.

The safest approach would probably be to submit a webform referencing the question in the application, correcting the information, and explaining it in your own words (an oversight, misunderstanding, mistake, what best explains why you failed to include the omitted information).

India Punjab singh

Apr 1, 2023
You are addressing a post from nearly five years ago and in a thread which is at most tangentially related to your question. Note, for example, while my post referred to checks done by RCMP and CSIS, it also discussed checks done in GCMS and other screening including inquiries utilizing open sources. Moreover, as discussed in many related discussions since the one you quote, background screening can involve referrals to CBSA and its NSSD for investigation.

I do not know, but it is my GUESS that the information omitted from your application is more likely to be noted in the GCMS check, and if there is a concern (I cannot guess whether there will be a concern or not), referred to CBSA and its NSSD for investigation.

Also note that despite how detailed some of the information is that I post and discuss, I am NO expert and I am especially NOT qualified to offer personal advice. I can offer general advice, like a citizenship applicant can submit corrections to their application using the webform, or if they wait, to be prepared to address questions about the errors in the application during an interview.

I cannot say whether or not IRCC will consider the sort of omissions you describe to be misrepresentation. I cannot guess to what extent it will be problematic, but my guess, emphasizing that it is ONLY a guess, is that IRCC will either see the omissions as a mistake or at least accept an explanation they are a mistake, if they focus on them much at all. But of course that could depend on a range of particular factors.

The safest approach would probably be to submit a webform referencing the question in the application, correcting the information, and explaining it in your own words (an oversight, misunderstanding, mistake, what best explains why you failed to include the omitted information).
Respected sir, I applied for visitor visa for canada on 03 December 2023 and on 26 february 2023 ircc requested military service details which was forwarded on 28 february 2023.now it has passed eligibility requirements for visa and file is stuck on background check since 3 months. Kindly give your views in this situation and when I will get result

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Respected sir, I applied for visitor visa for canada on 03 December 2023 and on 26 february 2023 ircc requested military service details which was forwarded on 28 february 2023.now it has passed eligibility requirements for visa and file is stuck on background check since 3 months. Kindly give your views in this situation and when I will get result
Apart from me NOT being qualified to offer personal advice, you are asking questions about visa processing in a forum discussing citizenship, and in a thread discussing background screening and clearances of Canadians (Canadian PRs; who are NOT Foreign Nationals here) applying for citizenship.

While some of the information applicable to citizenship background checks overlaps with information about background checks for Foreign Nationals, forum participants following visa application processing will probably have better, more relevant information than what I can offer (I have not followed visa application processing for many years now) or what is generally discussed here.

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020

Yes i know i was responding to a post from 5 yrs ago as I mentioned it in my last line and i know it is also "tangentially related" to this thread... however, I commented based on the similarities of the case with the person you replied to.
Anyways, I never got a notification to your response but I went ahead to raise a webform and provide the missing details.
Thanks for your response all the same.

DKalkhand

May 9, 2022
Hi all,
I am the primary applicant and my IRCC tracker shows my BG status as COMPLETED.But my spouse’s and my son who are my dependants ,their status for BG is IN PROGRESS in the tracker.My query is if my BG is complete and I am the primary applicant,can I expect a PPR now or I will have to wait for my dependent‘s BG status to be COMPLETED as well.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi all,
I am the primary applicant and my IRCC tracker shows my BG status as COMPLETED.But my spouse’s and my son who are my dependants ,their status for BG is IN PROGRESS in the tracker.My query is if my BG is complete and I am the primary applicant,can I expect a PPR now or I will have to wait for my dependent‘s BG status to be COMPLETED as well.
BG for citizenship is different than PR one. Maybe ask in PR group to get the latest answer.

DKalkhand

May 9, 2022
Criminality passed on 24 May 2023 and my BG verification status COMPLETED on 19 June 2023.When can I expect my PPR???

Mar 14, 2022

Hi dpenabill,
If I May ask do we need to maintain both the work as well as personal history in the Linkedin profile for background checks ??
Also, I recently did some updates on my linkedin profile but those changes are not reflecting jn my Google search so how should I proceed ahead to make sure it doesn't cause any harm. Not sure as haven't shared any profile link with IRCC so hoping they do the verifications by Google.Could you please help me how can I make those changes successfully in the Google search too.

Quite concerned as what all they look for do these verifications. Would appreciate your advise. Kindly help.TIA.