+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is background check means

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If I May ask do we need to maintain both the work as well as personal history in the Linkedin profile for background checks ??
Also, I recently did some updates on my linkedin profile but those changes are not reflecting jn my Google search so how should I proceed ahead to make sure it doesn't cause any harm. Not sure as haven't shared any profile link with IRCC so hoping they do the verifications by Google.Could you please help me how can I make those changes successfully in the Google search too.

Quite concerned as what all they look for do these verifications. Would appreciate your advise. Kindly help.TIA.
I have not personally used platforms like LinkedIn. I am not active in social media. I have not made any effort to modify or amend or fix what comes up in a google search.

If someone is claiming to IRCC they were an engineer working in Toronto throughout 2022, but a google search uncovers information showing they were working in Dubai for most of 2022, that is not something I can help them address.

LinkedIn is just one website, among many, that can be (not necessarily will be) cross-checked as an "open source" of information. Meaning IRCC (or CBSA/NSSD if conducting an investigation) can go to this and other websites and look at any information that is available to the public and cross-check the information it finds there against information a PR (or other client) has submitted to IRCC. I do not know if it uses google or some other public-based search engine, or uses its own search capabilities, or a combination. And it is not as if IRCC or CBSA has distributed a map showing how they go about cross-checking information about applicants, in open sources or otherwise.

It is not at all clear that IRCC routinely cross-checks internet open sources for most applicants, let alone all citizenship applicants. But we know that at the least they sometimes will, and if they do and they see that an applicant is claiming work history in one that conflicts with what the applicant claimed in the other, well, no genius necessary to see, as the CCR put it, "a bad moon rising."

Common problem: PR has reported an address and work history to IRCC (be that attendant a PR card renewal or an application for citizenship) and IRCC finds this individual has reported information (in LinkedIn or other sites) indicating differences in work or address history compared to what they submitted to IRCC. Obviously, anyone who is truthful regardless of the media has zero to worry about (truthful work history in LinkedIn, for example, will be consistent with the same, truthful report of work history in a citizenship application). In contrast, there was a problem for the health care professional who claimed to have been working in Canada 20xx to 20xy in his citizenship application, but whose LinkedIn profile stated he was managing a health care facility in the state of Indiana in the U.S. during that same period.