+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is Approval in Principle and how to get it (inland application)?

Together

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
I read the explanation on their website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp
However, it is totally unclear, at which stage of the process (Spouse in Canada sponsorship) we might expect it, in what cases they do send it and in what they don't and if we can do something to get it it and get it faster.
Could anyone shed some light on the matter?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I read the explanation on their website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp
However, it is totally unclear, at which stage of the process (Spouse in Canada sponsorship) we might expect it, in what cases they do send it and in what they don't and if we can do something to get it it and get it faster.
There is nothing you can do to expedite it and it generally comes closer to the end of the process

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
AIP mean it has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements for permanent resident status, however, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met like pass medical and background checks.

So on the Sponsor Application, you should see "decision made" (meaning the sponsor was approved) and on the principal applicant side Status will be "in process" or "decision made". When you see "decision made" on the principal applicant status, means that you are waiting for a landing.

AIP is determined by IRCC……you can’t influence AIP…....processing timeline depends on a case by case basis…….

Reactions: RaiSaab108

mohammadfareedy

Dec 31, 2018
AIP mean it has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements for permanent resident status, however, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met like pass medical and background checks.

So on the Sponsor Application, you should see "decision made" (meaning the sponsor was approved) and on the principal applicant side Status will be "in process" or "decision made". When you see "decision made" on the principal applicant status, means that you are waiting for a landing.

AIP is determined by IRCC……you can’t influence AIP…....processing timeline depends on a case by case basis…….

I am sure this means that they are sending you some letter for your interview or asking you for info for PR? However, I am just wondering did you already pay Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)? This is because I am on the same boat as you . MY DM was made but when I call the number it says that background check is ongoing also for Online services the status change says Medical was done successfully and they never sent me anything apart from an email stating you meet eligibility requirements.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I am sure this means that they are sending you some letter for your interview or asking you for info for PR? However, I am just wondering did you already pay Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)? This is because I am on the same boat as you . MY DM was made but when I call the number it says that background check is ongoing also for Online services the status change says Medical was done successfully and they never sent me anything apart from an email stating you meet eligibility requirements.
Do you have DM on both sides (sponsor and PA)? If the DM is recent, it's normal for the systems to be out of sync. For example ECAS shows DM while GCKEY shows in process and the like. It can take a while for it all to sync up.

If you haven't paid the RPRF there will be an instruction in the landing appointment email for you to pay it and bring the receipt to the appointment.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Reactions: Mbm92

mohammadfareedy

Dec 31, 2018
Do you have DM on both sides (sponsor and PA)? If the DM is recent, it's normal for the systems to be out of sync. For example ECAS shows DM while GCKEY shows in process and the like. It can take a while for it all to sync up.

If you haven't paid the RPRF there will be an instruction in the landing appointment email for you to pay it and bring the receipt to the appointment.

When I call I get the recording saying background check in progress. They also say no fingerprints needed and no interview needed. Is that normal?

However, on line for both Sponsorship Application Status and Permanent Residence Application Status it says decision made and I got an email saying we meet eligibility requirements. The status it just changed to this last weekend from the previous status of In Process. Everything else has remained same.

At what point I should be paying the RPRF Fees?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
When I call I get the recording saying background check in progress. They also say no fingerprints needed and no interview needed. Is that normal?

However, on line for both Sponsorship Application Status and Permanent Residence Application Status it says decision made and I got an email saying we meet eligibility requirements. The status it just changed to this last weekend from the previous status of In Process. Everything else has remained same.

At what point I should be paying the RPRF Fees?
Yes, it's normal. As you said, the change is recent and all the systems haven't updated yet.

You will get an email with your landing appointment details - time and date and place, and it will also instruct you on what you need to bring (passport, work permit if you have it, photos, etc). Among those they will also ask you to bring the receipt for the RPRF. So you don't have to pay now and upload online or anything like that, you bring it with you to the appointment (you can pay whenever, of course).

As for when you'll get the appointment, that depends on where you live. Certain offices are more busy than others so you just have to sit tight and wait.

Ranamaalouf

Jul 21, 2022
My file is at IRCC since September 2021. Medical were done and received as of May 2022. Biometric also done and we paid all related fees. How can we get the Approval in Principal?