+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what if married in the middle of PR process!!

goudam

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all,
If i get married in the middle of PR process and if i inform CIC about this? will this affect my current PR process? I applied under CEC. What's the actual procedure and what will happen if i inform CIC about this?? Thanks in advance

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, you have to tell them so your spouse can get PR. As long as you married after submitting your application it doesn't impact your eligibility/score.

Reactions: goudam

Izytiti

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
So If one indicated they are married but their spouse wasn't migrating to Canada with them and late receive an ITA, they can't include the spouse for PR without it afftecting their score?

Neha Agarwal

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
No, as per my knowledge if you add your spouse in middle of your process then your CRS will come down as there is difference between married and unmarried applicants in crs points

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
No, as per my knowledge if you add your spouse in middle of your process then your CRS will come down as there is difference between married and unmarried applicants in crs points
Your knowledge is incorrect:
For example, if an applicant marries before they submit their e-APR but informs IRCC of the marriage only after they submit their e-APR, the marriage can be taken into account as part of the section A11.2 assessment.

If, however, an applicant marries after they submit their e-APR, then informs IRCC of the marriage, the marriage cannot be taken into account as part of the section A11.2 assessment.
However, it is important to note that if OP met the definition of common-law partners at the time they applied, even if they were not yet legally married, there are potential issues.

Reactions: francesli1994

jitheshani

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hello all,
If i get married in the middle of PR process and if i inform CIC about this? will this affect my current PR process? I applied under CEC. What's the actual procedure and what will happen if i inform CIC about this?? Thanks in advance
If you are getting married after AOR date then CRS points are not recalculated. On the other hand if you were married before AOR and adding spouse after AOR then it's misrepresentation and they can reject the application.

Adding your spouse will impact the processing of your application as your spouse needs to complete medical and security even if he/she is not accompanying. You can inform IRCC about the marital status and they will share the application forms and the required document list. But for faster processing you can get all the docs ready in advance and once you have the marriage certificate in hand submit everything right away.

These are the docs requested from me, make sure that you fill in the latest version of the form.
Upfront medical was not requested by them, but you can still do an upfront and in most cases they approve it. Doing medical upfront will save 4-6 weeks time.

Expect delays anywhere from 2 months to 1 year on the application.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello all,
There is no if, you should, you must inform IRCC about this. They will ask you this before you complete you landing and if you delay this, you will just earn yourself further delays.

Submit a webform and inform IRCC about the details of your change in marital status. Also do let them know if you are planning on adding your spouse to your application.

The will get back to you shortly and provide details and what documentation you need to submit.

A quick heads-up, your spouse will have to complete a medical and security clearance regardless of whether he\she is accompanying you.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
And just as a general response since there seems to be some confusion.

When you get married after submitting a full EE application and you chose to add your spouse to your application, your CRS (pre-marriage) will not be recalculated. This could be advantageous because your spouse doesn't need to submit any english/french test results nor any educational qualifications (because these are required to calculate the CRS).

Your spouse. when married after AOR, will have to submit (you do this using a webform) medical and any applicable police certificates. (security, criminality and medicals all need to be passed)

Reactions: Ahmed Farouk

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The important thing to note as well is that even if you delay getting married until after you have submitted your e-APR, if you met the definition of common-law partners at the time of the application (one year of continuous cohabitation), you are technically supposed to apply as if you are married. This can be grounds for refusal due to misrepresentation.

goudam

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
If you are getting married after AOR date then CRS points are not recalculated. On the other hand if you were married before AOR and adding spouse after AOR then it's misrepresentation and they can reject the application.

Adding your spouse will impact the processing of your application as your spouse needs to complete medical and security even if he/she is not accompanying. You can inform IRCC about the marital status and they will share the application forms and the required document list. But for faster processing you can get all the docs ready in advance and once you have the marriage certificate in hand submit everything right away.

These are the docs requested from me, make sure that you fill in the latest version of the form.
Upfront medical was not requested by them, but you can still do an upfront and in most cases they approve it. Doing medical upfront will save 4-6 weeks time.

Expect delays anywhere from 2 months to 1 year on the application.
Thanks a bunch for the information!!! appreciated! :)

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
The important thing to note as well is that even if you delay getting married until after you have submitted your e-APR, if you met the definition of common-law partners at the time of the application (one year of continuous cohabitation), you are technically supposed to apply as if you are married. This can be grounds for refusal due to misrepresentation.
Yes, of course if you list the same address before being married this will raise suspicions and they might want to inquire about this further for sure.

Narayan Mani

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
08-11-2020
A friend of mine had a situation like this. She had to inform IRCC. Catch is- she got married 5 months into the PR processing times. They updated everything and started processing times from scratch once again.

goudam

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
There is no if, you should, you must inform IRCC about this. They will ask you this before you complete you landing and if you delay this, you will just earn yourself further delays.

Submit a webform and inform IRCC about the details of your change in marital status. Also do let them know if you are planning on adding your spouse to your application.

The will get back to you shortly and provide details and what documentation you need to submit.

A quick heads-up, your spouse will have to complete a medical and security clearance regardless of whether he\she is accompanying you.
]

Hi thanks for the info. I want my spouse to accompany me. In this case, will they recalculate my CRS score or I will just have to add my spouse documents ( medical, Security and marriage certificate) without having to recalculate CRS but, just adding those docs. Thanks :)