+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens when you get your approval?

Remrov

May 16, 2012
I was wondering about this.

Lets say Vienna approves me and I can move permanently to Montreal. How does this work exactly?

Do I get something in the mail or something? I mean snailmail? Or do they just let me know by email, and do I have to pick something up in Montreal?
Is this some kind of document? A permanent residence card?
And what happens then?

And another question...
My boyfriend wants me to come over to Montreal from February to April, what happens if I get approved during that time? Can I even be in Canada around the time when I get approved or can I better stay in the Netherlands until I get approved?

Sorry lots of questions but I just have no idea how everything goes and what to expect. And I'm trying to plan things correctly.
I also have a pet parrot to take with me so I also have to do some paper work for this little feathered friend. Does anybody know how this works?

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
Remrov said:
I was wondering about this.

Lets say Vienna approves me and I can move permanently to Montreal. How does this work exactly?

Do I get something in the mail or something? I mean snailmail? Or do they just let me know by email, and do I have to pick something up in Montreal?
Is this some kind of document? A permanent residence card?
And what happens then?

And another question...
My boyfriend wants me to come over to Montreal from February to April, what happens if I get approved during that time? Can I even be in Canada around the time when I get approved or can I better stay in the Netherlands until I get approved?

Sorry lots of questions but I just have no idea how everything goes and what to expect. And I'm trying to plan things correctly.
I also have a pet parrot to take with me so I also have to do some paper work for this little feathered friend. Does anybody know how this works?

When you are approved, Vienna office will request your passport and affix on it single entry immigrant visa, and issue a document called Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). When you fly to Montreal, you will show your visa and COPR to immigration officer at border, and they will ask you to submit application for permanent residence (you can find it on CIC website). You will submit it, and they will send a permanent resident card to the address you indicated on your application for permanent residence. The PR card will be valid for 5 years.

Remrov

May 16, 2012
But in the original application package there was already a form called: application for permanent residence' and I already filled this out then and send it too them (along with the whole application package).

And will they also requist my passport for a visa if I live in the Netherlands?
Since when you're from the Netherlands then you never need a Visa to visit Canada.

And another question...after those 5 years that the PR card is expired, can you lengthen it again?

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
Remrov said:
But in the original application package there was already a form called: application for permanent residence' and I already filled this out then and send it too them (along with the whole application package).

Since when you're from the Netherlands then you never need a Visa to visit Canada.

And another question...after those 5 years that the PR card is expired, can you lengthen it again?
Sorry, I meant application for permanent resident card. You can find it here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp
I am not sure about visa requirements for the Netherlands. Someone else needs to comment this point.
When after 5 years your card expires, you can apply for replacement if you meet residency requirements, i.e. you have to live in Canada minimum 2 years out of 5 years.

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
Remrov said:

PR lasts for 5 yrs, after 3 yrs you can apply for Canadian citizanship, which takes 18 to 24 months.
You only need a PR card to enter Canada. I have never had to use it for anyother reason.

sciencelover

Dec 7, 2012
There may be information here that can help you get your parrot over with you at the Canada Food Inspection Agency website. For whatever reason I can't post the link so you'll have to google that along with "pet bird immigration" and it should take you to the right place.

McDutch

Dec 20, 2011
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
File Transfer...
11-08-2012
Med's Done....
REDONE: 22-01-2013
LANDED..........
26-04-2013
Dutch people (and other visa exempt countries) don't get a passport request.

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Thank you all very much for your responses!!!!

I only have one question...
Does it matter that at the moment when I get approved if I am in Canada?
I think that around March, April if everything goes well, I should hear something from Vienna. So I wonder if I can better stay in the Netherlands then, or doesn't it matter?

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
The CIC won't care if you happen to be in Canada when they approve you. Just make sure that you can get your mail--the COPR is sent by snail mail, and I've heard of people getting their PPR via snail mail as well (though getting the PPR via email is more common)

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
McDutch said:
Dutch people (and other visa exempt countries) don't get a passport request.
So, pardon my interruption, I am from the US so I won't get a passport request. But I still include a copy of the first page with myapplication, correct?

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
blueangel371115 said:
So, pardon my interruption, I am from the US so I won't get a passport request. But I still include a copy of the first page with myapplication, correct?
Yes. Also it's in the checklist so you can't miss it ;)

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
That's what I thought ( I have the checklist) but I wanted to clarify to save me time and paperwork.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Remrov said:
Thank you all very much for your responses!!!!

I only have one question...
Does it matter that at the moment when I get approved if I am in Canada?
I think that around March, April if everything goes well, I should hear something from Vienna. So I wonder if I can better stay in the Netherlands then, or doesn't it matter?
it doesn't matter, and in fact, you could decide to go to Canada and wait out the PR there, as you are from a visa exempt country.
One thing you could do is "move" there already before getting the PR. Just don't tell immigration at the border that you are moving but say that you are coming to stay with your boyfriend until the PR is approved. ( and have the sponsorship approval printed with you to prove that you have indeed applied for PR and stage 1 is over).

If you decide to do that, you can update the mailing address in your application, and receive the COPR directly in Canada. Then you need to leave the country and exit again - just go to the nearest US border, tell them you want to "land as a PR" and they will explain what to do. The process is called "flagpoling" and it's a pretty easy one.

Good luck,
Sweden

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Okay, thank you for your respons!!
I'll think about what I'll do then, since there are also many things I still have to do here in the Netherlands, like trying to sell all my furniture anf things like that. And I can't take my pet parrot with me to Canada yest either, since I'm only allowed to import a pet bird when I have a residence Card already. So I would have to come back to the Netherlands just to pick up my bird.

sciencelover

Dec 7, 2012
You also have to check with the airlines you use to see what their animal transport policies are. It may determine which airline you choose. I know in Canada there are some companies that deal with shipping live animals. Perhaps there are some in the Netherlands that do the same. Your airline may even be able to direct you to one of them.