+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what happens if I know who took my PR Card from me?

BenjiTreitz

Jan 24, 2015
Hello!

I hate to bother you with this question but I am not sure what to do:
Normally when you lose your PR Card you call CIC and tell them what happened. There are three options (1) stolen (2) lost (3) it never arrived.
In my case, it is that my ex-partner withholds my PR Card from me. The Card was supposed to be sent to me after I became PR (the card was sent to the address where we lived together but we ended our relationship before it arrived). She admitted to having received it but she refuses to hand it to me.
Should I just pretend I lost it or that it never arrived? I am not sure which reason to provide CIC with why I need already a new PR Card ... thank you very much for your help and advice!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hmm.. interesting.

The correct answer is "stolen", because that's what happened. She stole your card.

However, that will probably require a police report and other hassles, so I would personally go with "lost". I wouldn't say "never arrived" because that's a straight lie. "Lost" is technically correct - you may know the card is in her house, but you can't find it!

Let's see what other people have to say as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It isn't actually lost. Because these are valuable documents on the black market there is likely to be a Canada post investigation/. You know where it is so no need for the mail delivery person to be questioned. The answer is that your partner has your PR card and is with holding it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you relationship end before you landed as a PR? That could be another reason why you don't have a PR. She would have withdrawn your sponsorship if you separated before you landed.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Stolen is the correct answer. The card was sent and received by someone other than yourself and not return to IRCC for redirection. If she’s opened it as well, that’s illegal and can result in criminal charges.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Guess depends how broken the relationship with the ex is in that you you try calling her bluff by informing her that in applying for a replacement card you have informed the police that you believe card has been stolen and the last known address from where it may have been stolen from was your ex address.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I'm going to agree with the consensus and say you should choose stolen. As @Bs65 says, this may prompt your ex into giving you the card.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. You may want to let her know that if she doesn’t return it to you, that’s the route you plan to take. A little subtle encouragement may go a long way.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Come on Benji..be a man. Knock on her door and demand your property being handed over immediately.. ;)