+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens after you apply for a PR card; no address

halibut1980

Aug 16, 2019
I have been invited to apply for a PR card. However, I was waiting so long to get PR that I could no longer stay in Canada and migrated to Hong Kong. I have found it difficult to find a job here and am living in hotels. Now I have been instructed to send my details by post to the Hong Kong visa office.

Am I supposed to wait to receive something in the mail? The email message which they sent doesn't make this clear; it just asks me to send a scan of my passport and some photographs within 30 days. I tried asking CIC but they haven't acknowledged my message or responded, and now I don't know what to do, since I have already been waiting a week for a response.

Is Permanent Residence just an electronic thing, or should I expect to receive a physical document?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not exactly clear what you are saying, you really mean you applied for PR given you would not get a request regarding an actual PR card given PR cards are only dealt with from within Canada ?

Sounds as though you have reached the final stage for your physical COPR document to be issued to allow you to travel to Canada and land as a PR so you need to take action in the time frame requested.

Have you checked your status in your MYCIC account ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/application-approved.html

Last edited:

halibut1980

Aug 16, 2019
Thank you for your answer. I cannot parse your first paragraph, but let me explain my circumstances.

I applied for PR in February 2018 after being invited via express entry. I was living in Canada at the time, on a working holiday. The PR process was supposed to take 6 months, but it took more like 18 months. In the meantime, my visa expired and I had to leave Canada.

Now I have got an email saying that my PR has been approved. It asks me to send photographs and a photocopy of my passport to the local visa office. However, it doesn't explain why, or whether I can expect to receive something in return.

From the link that you posted, it looks like I will get a Certificate of Permanent Residence in return, which is a physical document. I will therefore need a physical address. My issue is that I do not have a physical address, and I cannot contact CIC since I am outside Canada. I tried using their web form, but I have had no acknowledgement or reply, and it was a week ago already.

Thank you for your patience!