+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does "first stage of approval" mean? [inland PR + OWP appliation]

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

My local MP's office called to enquire about my PR + OWP application (inland, family class, sponsored by my wife), and was told that the OWP can only be issued once the PR is at the "first stage of approval".

Is this the same as approval in principle?

Many thanks for your help!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My local MP's office called to enquire about my PR + OWP application (inland, family class, sponsored by my wife), and was told that the OWP can only be issued once the PR is at the "first stage of approval".

Is this the same as approval in principle?

Many thanks for your help!
Yes - this refers to AIP.

I'm assuming you were out of status in Canada when your application was received and that's why you don't qualify for the OWP pilot?

Reactions: daniel07

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
Yes - this refers to AIP.

I'm assuming you were out of status in Canada when your application was received and that's why you don't qualify for the OWP pilot?
Thanks for your reply.

I technically was, but I applied online to restore status as a visitor (I lost my implied status when my PR/OWP application was returned due to failure to sign a form) before reposting my PR/OWP applications.

My status was restored before I received AOR.

I have since spoken to CIC and they told me that my officer has connected my restored status to my application and the OWP should be processed within 4 months.

Who do I believe? The CIC worker I spoke to, or the CIC worker my local MP spoke to?

Thanks.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
When did you apply? The 4 month mark for OWP might come around the same time as AIP, depending on when they received your application.

That being said, if CIC told you that your owp has been linked with status restored, why wouldn't you believe them?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply.

I technically was, but I applied online to restore status as a visitor (I lost my implied status when my PR/OWP application was returned due to failure to sign a form) before reposting my PR/OWP applications.

My status was restored before I received AOR.

I have since spoken to CIC and they told me that my officer has connected my restored status to my application and the OWP should be processed within 4 months.

Who do I believe? The CIC worker I spoke to, or the CIC worker my local MP spoke to?

Thanks.
MPs don't really know what they are taking about when it comes to immigration. I would believe the CIC worker. And the CIC worker's response makes sense based on your history.

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
When did you apply? The 4 month mark for OWP might come around the same time as AIP, depending on when they received your application.

That being said, if CIC told you that your owp has been linked with status restored, why wouldn't you believe them?
Thanks for your reply.

It was received March 14th. 4 months later is mid-July.

I'm asking because I've read here that AIP can take A LOT longer than 4 months, whereas I've been told by CIC that the OWP window is around 4 months.

And I've been told one thing (that my OWP is connected to my restored status and therefore I can expect it to be processed in around 4 months) and my MP's representative has been told another (I have to wait for first stage approval l,AIP).

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
MPs don't really know what they are taking about when it comes to immigration. I would believe the CIC worker. And the CIC worker's response makes sense based on your history.
Ok great, thanks.

So I shouldn't be worried that my OWP hasn't been approved yet, even though a lot of other people who applied in March got theirs last month? That's what I'm seeing on the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gm315tmNKWoywb7PwZBiE67fUmznYQrNhYVWXPXXJBw/edit?usp=drivesdk

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok great, thanks.

So I shouldn't be worried that my OWP hasn't been approved yet, even though a lot of other people who applied in March got theirs last month? That's what I'm seeing on the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gm315tmNKWoywb7PwZBiE67fUmznYQrNhYVWXPXXJBw/edit?usp=drivesdk
You have a non-routine application. You aren't going to experience normal processing times since you submitted the application while out of status and had to apply for restoration. People with straight-forward applications and who applied while in status will be processed faster. So yes - normal. No - you should not be worried. I would expect yours is going to take a few of months longer than routine cases.

luckyrabbit13

Apr 26, 2019
I have not received AIP but did receive OWP. I don’t think they are the same.

That said, 2 months seems quite fast, at least historically, for OWP, so your not having gotten it yet definitely doesn’t mean anything is wrong! More that 4-5 months and it would be time to worry. (Sometimes people get decisions made before they get their OWPs, even!)

daniel07

Nov 7, 2018
You have a non-routine application. You aren't going to experience normal processing times since you submitted the application while out of status and had to apply for restoration. People with straight-forward applications and who applied while in status will be processed faster. So yes - normal. No - you should not be worried. I would expect yours is going to take a few of months longer than routine cases.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!