+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What can be done immediately after landing as a survival job ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You haven’t attached the article. Restauranteur generally refers to higher end restaurant owners in Canada. Most in the hospitality industry, including restaurant managers, do not make on average over 100k. It is unrealistic to say that someone will be making even close to 100k in the hospitality industry in 3 years. Most restaurant owners don’t make 100k while working full-time at the restaurant.
Besides it says 3.5 years. Not in 3 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are an adult and capable to do your research. I have attached the article somewhere in this forum more than a week ago.

The article did mentioned the Restaurateur, the highest general manager position, with an average compensation of more than $100,000 annually.
Just want to stress that even if you are a head chef you are unlikely to be making anywhere close to 100k at most restaurants. Restaurant jobs are notoriously not great when it comes to pay.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
The article did mentioned the Restaurateur, the highest general manager position, with an average compensation of more than $100,000 annually.
If that article (I am not searching yet) declare 100K for Manager position , as a manager, without attention to location, it would be right , but it's hard to believe that restaurant owner can't make 100K annually , I've really witnessed that in many Asian countries, the mid-level restaurant can make more than this amount.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, I don't think he means chef , he said owner/Manager/Director something like this position.
I am dressing that even the head chef which should be the highest or one of the highest paid positions in a restaurant doesn’t get close to 100k in most restaurants. Managers don’t either. Hospitality is poorly paid, usually no benefits or sick leave and bad hours which which is why there is a labour shortage.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am dressing that even the head chef which should be the highest or one of the highest paid positions in a restaurant doesn’t get close to 100k in most restaurants. Managers don’t either. Hospitality is poorly paid, usually no benefits or sick leave and bad hours which which is why there is a labour shortage.
But it's Restaurateur the article had mentioned. You can read the above for the definition and compensation.

Reactions: santi_marlon

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But it's Restaurateur the article had mentioned. You can read the above for the definition and compensation.
One article does not represent the hospitality sector. In general it is one of the most poorly compensated industry. Very few people in the restaurant industry earn close to 100k.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Typical way of advertising unrealistic expectations. The probability that someone in the hospitality sector climbs the positions and makes it to a six figure salary is very low. It is not zero but it definitelt represents a marginal case.

In reality a survival job can be a dead end if you do not have enough fire power in your core profile and an exit plan in place right before you sign for that very survival job. That exit plan should be thorough and should includes a timeline and well defined steps as well as enough contingencies to accomodate for things that could and will evolve unexpectedly.

Some options to consider:
- Upgrade your education while attending said survival job;
- Start your own business venture and/or consider self-employment or freelance career;
- Get professional or vocational training;
- Of course, keep on applying to higher grade jobs while sharpening your resume and interview skills.

In addition, a survival job can act as a double edged sword on a resume. It can be an embarassement as much as it prove you have the willingness to strive for work and adapt to an adverse environment and to gain domestic work experience. In general though it can be seen positively in north america-centric job markets but exceptions apply.

In general and as reply to OP, in any scenario, my advise is to act very fast to put in place and execute the exit plan.

santi_marlon

Sep 19, 2019
Typical way of advertising unrealistic expectations. The probability that someone in the hospitality sector climbs the positions and makes it to a six figure salary is very low. It is not zero but it definitelt represents a marginal case.

In reality a survival job can be a dead end if you do not have enough fire power in your core profile and an exit plan in place right before you sign for that very survival job. That exit plan should be thorough and should includes a timeline and well defined steps as well as enough contingencies to accomodate for things that could and will evolve unexpectedly.

Some options to consider:
- Upgrade your education while attending said survival job;
- Start your own business venture and/or consider self-employment or freelance career;
- Get professional or vocational training;
- Of course, keep on applying to higher grade jobs while sharpening your resume and interview skills.

In addition, a survival job can act as a double edged sword on a resume. It can be an embarassement as much as it prove you have the willingness to strive for work and adapt to an adverse environment and to gain domestic work experience. In general though it can be seen positively in north america-centric job markets but exceptions apply.

In general and as reply to OP, in any scenario, my advise is to act very fast to put in place and execute the exit plan.
Thanks
The problem would be aroused while this wrong imagination has been formed into a employer's mind that you have not had a Canadian Exp. However, it's by far the most ridiculous things I've ever seen and heard.
I agree what you were talking about.
I believe that career's structure has been made somehow that push forward and force non-Canadian graduated nor Canadian experience holder to enroll university/college.
All we know that, within a 1 year college or 2 Y Master program, just theoretical side might be soaring up not market-based or your technical and hands-on experience sides. Nevertheless, I'm expounded your suggestion as a "Last Chance for getting into the Market fields"; enrolling university.
This option from my side could be the best option If the infrastructure let and nothing as a impediment exist through/in your path.