+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the survival jobs in Canada that can be found at first?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
vikasraj said:
How is the IT market for SAP consultant in Calgary...
Do you think there are start up job so i can some how manage to be in IT, (I appreciate all jobs and don't look down on any profession - No offence to any one) But i just be closer to computers and IT as i am more passionate about it..

Kindly provide your inputs. . :)

@ Ememabd - Thanks for the correction..
I guess you are still abroad and waiting for your PR visa? If yesِِ try applying for jobs online and see if you can get any responses.

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
vikasraj said:
How is the IT market for SAP consultant in Calgary...
Do you think there are start up job so i can some how manage to be in IT, (I appreciate all jobs and don't look down on any profession - No offence to any one) But i just be closer to computers and IT as i am more passionate about it..

Kindly provide your inputs. . :)

@ Ememabd - Thanks for the correction..
What's your SAP module? I am an SAP ABAP Consultant and I was able to find a job 2 months after we landed in Montreal. Keep the faith and just send your resume to job postings.

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
Dear seniors,

Is there any specific CV model to use for applying. If yes, please suggest. For the survival jobs do we need to hide our qualification?

If there is any CV/ resume model please suggest.....

A

airacaberoy

I'm a nursing graduate has a master's degree as well and a registered nurse. What type of work do you suggest for me to have? I don't have any job experience because of the dependency status. We'll be migrating in Vancouver as PR very soon. Thanks!

Sarah1

Feb 7, 2014
Well, driving around the city I always see "help wanted" signs in almost every Tim Hortons, McDonalds, gas station, Home Depot, Walmart etc. All the big chains are always in search for staff. If you want a survival job from the first days you land then just go to your closest shopping mall. Salary not that great, but it will pay your rent and living expenses till you get something related to your background.

Sarah1

Feb 7, 2014
The topic here is about survival jobs, not "how to live in a 2,000sq.f. condo in downtown Vancouver". Set correct priorities, handle your budget carefully and the time will come for that condo. No one owes you anything, you have to work your way up and you need a starting point.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I know what we're talking about -- rents are high, rental markets are tight in Edmonton and Calgary both, and a survival job is not quite enough to survive on.

Rent: ~900/month
Food: ~500/month
Other: ~500/month (optimistic)

Needs: ~1900/month

Job: 35 X 11 X 4 = $1540 month

And this is assuming minimal expenses and a survival job that is above minimum wage; and not taking into account the period of paying for things before the job is found and pay kicks in.

Sarah1

Feb 7, 2014
No need to be pessimistic my friends...
The example you gave above is the worst case scenario. I pay less rent than that for 1-bd apartment almost downtown in good condition. But for the shake of the conversation lets just say than your monthly expenses (as a single person) are $1,900/month. Then look for a job with 40 or 37,5 hours/week, not 35, and look for something that pays $12-13/hour, not the lowest possible which is $11! And there are plenty of survival jobs that meet these criteria.
But let's assume again that you still get this $1540/month, then you have to spend every month $360 extra from your savings. What if you stay home waiting for something better to come along? Then how much you spend from your savings every month?
I agree that if you can afford it, then better look for something good instead of getting the first thing you find. But if you can't afford it, then what is a better option for you?

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Sarah1 said:
No need to be pessimistic my friends...
The example you gave above is the worst case scenario.
It is no the worst case scenario, it is a normal scenario.

Sarah1 said:
I pay less rent than that for 1-bd apartment almost downtown in good condition.
East Hastings?

Sarah1 said:
But for the shake of the conversation lets just say than your monthly expenses (as a single person) are $1,900/month. Then look for a job with 40 or 37,5 hours/week, not 35, and look for something that pays $12-13/hour, not the lowest possible which is $11! And there are plenty of survival jobs that meet these criteria.
I can get that in a third world country without any need to beg for a job like in Canada where cost of living is 80% lower.

Also, no one in Canada will give you full time with any of these "survival" jobs. They will give you 20-30 hours, so they don't have to pay out benefits. This is another big assumption with these so called survival jobs.

Sarah1 said:
But let's assume again that you still get this $1540/month, then you have to spend every month $360 extra from your savings. What if you stay home waiting for something better to come along? Then how much you spend from your savings every month?
I agree that if you can afford it, then better look for something good instead of getting the first thing you find. But if you can't afford it, then what is a better option for you?
The better option is not to come to Canada where you will squander all your savings in "hope" for a better tomorrow.

Sarah1

Feb 7, 2014
mrbeachman said:
It is no the worst case scenario, it is a normal scenario.
Ehm, actually not at all...it is the worse. Minimum salary+least working hours/week for permanent employment

East Hastings? Nope, actually I'm in Alberta. Safe neighborhood for a young single girl. All you need is to research before you rent. Spend 1-2 days online, won't kill you

I can get that in a third world country without any need to beg for a job like in Canada where cost of living is 80% lower.

Also, no one in Canada will give you full time with any of these "survival" jobs. They will give you 20-30 hours, so they don't have to pay out benefits. This is another big assumption with these so called survival jobs. Did you even try? I got plenty, but I did put effort on it; send my resume all over, tried to network with people and kept a positive attitude. You will be surprised what difference a positive attitude does.

The better option is not to come to Canada where you will squander all your savings in "hope" for a better tomorrow. Then why are you even in this forum or reply to people? Making someone feeling bad makes you feel better? Attacking someone else's opinion which happens to be different than yours gives you satisfaction? Of course you can claim I'm the one attacking you, and since everyone is allowed to have their own opinion I'll accept yours and tell you that I love it being here. People are great, economy is fine and I see a future for myself. A bright one, not just an okay one!

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Sarah... contrary to popular belief by most posters who "made it" in Alberta, this province is not all of Canada.

As I said many times before, even a monkey can find a job in Alberta.

The reality for the rest of Canadians in other provinces is quite different.

Also, many people prefer not moving to Alberta where 60% of population drives a pickup truck and it's citizens bathe in oil sands. In terms of anything cultural, Alberta has very little to offer.

Sarah1

Feb 7, 2014
I agree with you beachman, Alberta has right now the best economy compared to other provinces.
And yea, most do have pick ups and I laugh about it, but they don't care.
I didn't live in other provinces to do the comparison, so I can only talk about albertians.
They are very polite, very friendly, say what they have to say to your face, and they try to help you if they can.
The winters are hard, not easy for everyone, they is no architecture, no nightlife, nothing fancy, and as you said no cultural events etc.
So it comes down to priorities. I didn't come here for the culture, or the weather, or else I would stay in my home country.
I left friends and family to get a good job, with good salary and good opportunities to move up.That's why I chose Alberta.
Once I get enough canadian experience and put enough money on the side then I might consider moving to another province. But being a newcomer I have to be rational and take my best bet to survive. Unfortunately neither Ontario or BC would offer me this.
So I will put up with awful weather, pick ups, oil sands etc and do the best I can for myself.
There is no point in complaining about things I don't like, nothing good can come out of it. It's "take it or leave it" and I chose to take it when I applied to come to this country.

And I would suggest you to reconsider Alberta..it's not that bad at all. Boring oh yea, but the people are really great and the province helps newcomers. I felt so welcome by everyone I met so far, I think I wouldn't mind spending some years around here.