+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the restrictions and conditions after getting Provincial Nomination?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also get PNP from overseas so it is not a requirement to live in the province during the application process. However, your intention needs to be to settle in your PNP province when you get your PR. If you can convince immigration that this is the case, you do not have to move.

If you have an open work permit and can easily move though, I would suggest that you do. If you are on a closed work permit or studying, you should include a letter explaining that you do intend to settle in your PNP province but will move when you get a BOWP or PR or when you complete your studies, whichever applies.

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You can also get PNP from overseas so it is not a requirement to live in the province during the application process. However, your intention needs to be to settle in your PNP province when you get your PR. If you can convince immigration that this is the case, you do not have to move.

If you have an open work permit and can easily move though, I would suggest that you do. If you are on a closed work permit or studying, you should include a letter explaining that you do intend to settle in your PNP province but will move when you get a BOWP or PR or when you complete your studies, whichever applies.
Thanks, Leon.
Much appreciated.

ramiaw

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

i just see this thread , i need your advice please,,

i have been nominated from SK , and i will do my landing in two months , i have two questions

1-the problem that, the immigration officer will ask me in the airport for my dress and my Box office to send PR there, and actually i don't have one in SK yet and i will stay in the hotel at the beginning , so can i gave my friend address knowing that he is in Ontario ??

2- i could not find a direct flight to SK , i have to land first on Calgary or Toronto , so is it possible to stay there for 7 - 10 days before going to SK knowing that i have friends in these two cities, will the officer consider this as not intending to live in SK

appreciate your help in advance
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramiaw said:
1-the problem that, the immigration officer will ask me in the airport for my dress and my Box office to send PR there, and actually i don't have one in SK yet and i will stay in the hotel at the beginning , so can i gave my friend address knowing that he is in Ontario ??

2- i could not find a direct flight to SK , i have to land first on Calgary or Toronto , so is it possible to stay there for 7 - 10 days before going to SK knowing that i have friends in these two cities, will the officer consider this as not intending to live in SK
1. I would advise not to try to give an Ontario address. Instead, tell the immigration officer that you do not have an address yet but you will contact CIC when you have one.

2. The best idea would be to buy the ticket to SK after 7 or 10 days so you can show it to the IO to prove that you are going to SK.

Imee_dee

Aug 21, 2015
How long does it take to recieve LAA at the time of sending youe EOI

Guys,
Id appreciate ur answer, my eoi pts is 585. Also, is it okay to apply to other part of canada thru exp entry, while waiting from manitoba response

ramiaw

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
1. I would advise not to try to give an Ontario address. Instead, tell the immigration officer that you do not have an address yet but you will contact CIC when you have one.

2. The best idea would be to buy the ticket to SK after 7 or 10 days so you can show it to the IO to prove that you are going to SK.
thank you ,,,,,,

do you have any idea , ( due to my kids school) if i told IO that i will do the landing only and stay for 3 weeks and traveling back home then i will come in the next summer (after 6 months) to stay permanently..

and in this case i won't have address, so i have to give my friend address on ON ?

what do you think ??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramiaw said:
thank you ,,,,,,

do you have any idea , ( due to my kids school) if i told IO that i will do the landing only and stay for 3 weeks and traveling back home then i will come in the next summer (after 6 months) to stay permanently..

and in this case i won't have address, so i have to give my friend address on ON ?

what do you think ??
If you do that, the worst case scenario would be that the officer believes you are not going to settle in your PNP province and refuses your landing and tells you to go to your PNP office and clear things up with them. This means you would not get your PR immediately and it would likely take you way longer than the planned 3 weeks to clear things up with your PNP and for them to decide if you are going to settle there and should be allowed to land or not so if you really were only intending to stay for 3 weeks, you would have a problem.

Another likely scenario would be that they believe you are going to settle in your PNP province when you return but in that case, if you give an address for your PR card but admit that you will not be staying at this address when the PR card arrives in the mail, they can refuse the address and you wont get a PR card this time. You would still be a PR if you have landed so the way to return would be getting a PR travel document when you are ready to return to Canada and after you have arrived in Canada, call CIC and give a Canadian address. If this happens less than 6 months after your landing, you can still get your first free PR card mailed to you. If it's more than 6 months later, you would have to fill out an application like for a PR card renewal, send new photos and pay a $50 fee.

ramiaw

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another likely scenario would be that they believe you are going to settle in your PNP province when you return but in that case, if you give an address for your PR card but admit that you will not be staying at this address when the PR card arrives in the mail, they can refuse the address and you wont get a PR card this time. You would still be PR if you have landed so the way to return would be getting a PR travel document when you are ready to return to Canada and after you have arrived in Canada, call CIC and give a Canadian address. If this happens less than 6 months after your landing, you can still get your first free PR card mailed to you. If it's more than 6 months later, you would have to fill out an application like for a PR card renewal, send new photos and pay a $50 fee.
[/quote]

Thank you so much fot the great details,

So i will postponed my landing to the summer to avoid this, and i will try to find a permanent condo online from the beginning ,,

And if I didn't like it i can change it to other house later on

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramiaw said:
Thank you so much fot the great details,

So i will postponed my landing to the summer to avoid this, and i will try to find a permanent condo online from the beginning ,,

And if I didn't like it i can change it to other house later on
I would not recommend renting something online that you haven't seen. You never know what the neighbourhood is like until you are there and many places might be asking you to sign a one year lease to move in. It would be better to stay in a temporary apartment to start with and look for something once you are there.

RoseAndRosemary

Feb 11, 2016
Hello,

I have a question about what is considered as 'to settle' in one province.
Is it OK to live in the province which gave the nomination but have a job in the neighbouring province for example or tele-work (work from distance).
If that's not possible for the principal applicant, is it acceptable for the accompanying spouse at least?

And my other question is about renting - what's required in order to rent an apartment? Say - labour contract, funds, references, etc. And how difficult is it to rent with a pet cat?
Are there differences between the provinces or generally same rules apply?

Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RoseAndRosemary said:
Hello,

I have a question about what is considered as 'to settle' in one province.
Is it OK to live in the province which gave the nomination but have a job in the neighbouring province for example or tele-work (work from distance).
If that's not possible for the principal applicant, is it acceptable for the accompanying spouse at least?

And my other question is about renting - what's required in order to rent an apartment? Say - labour contract, funds, references, etc. And how difficult is it to rent with a pet cat?
Are there differences between the provinces or generally same rules apply?

Thank you!
If your sponsor wants to sponsor someone else, they will ask them where you live, not where you work so living in the PNP province should be fine.

Your second question depends completely on the landlord. They might want to see your bank statement or a credit card, a bank letter (from your employer stating how much you make and how long you work there) or something else.

As for being allowed a pet etc. here are the rules for the various provinces: http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/real-estate/renting/renters-pay-pet-deposit-not-pet-rent/

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poissonmagique said:
Someone mentioned one possible denial reason is for 'intention not to settle in province that nominated you'.

Just need to address some concerns:

1. after one gets the provincial nomination, how will the canadian embassy know what ur actual or perceived intentions are? Will show when you land and when you apply for citizenship and probably a couple of interviews with the province immigration office like i will when receiving PR.

2. what is the minimum amount of time u need to stay in that province, before u can consider moving to other provinces? Some make you stay 1 year and some 2, as far as i have seen.

3. any exceptions to the rule? wat if I have a better job offer in another province? u mean to say I need to stay in the nominating province for a required time first? You can build a case saying that your life and contribution to the canadian economy will be better BUT you need to make sure that you try to settle in your province of nomination. Don't try to do it immediately though - they would understand (i've discussed this with a CIC rep).

4. upon getting my permanent resident visa, do I need to land in my nominating province, and not anywhere else? Land anywhere that has international airport but make sure you have a connecting flight or train/bus ticket to the nominating province.

5. any other restrictions, terms and conditions need to know about? Look at your PNP certificate for restrictions.

please explain in detail. thank you.

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poissonmagique said:
thank u for replies. I have more concerns:

1. if u a Alberta provincial nominee, it is not possible to enter via Vancouver, BC, and then go to Alberta? if this happens, r u considered 'landed' in Vancouver, or can u just enter and stay in Vancouver for a while, and 'land' later when u take the trip to Alberta?

2. wat documents do u need to show to prove you exerted effort in looking for a job in your nominating province? or is the fact that u landed in that province enough?

3. will the canadian embassy know if you stayed in the nominating province for two months, or just two days? how will they know?

4. is there an interview that will be conducted in the canadian embassy after u get ur provincial nomination?

5. how many months does it normally take before u get permanent resident visa, after getting the provincial nomination?

6. also, is it true u need to be someone with extraordinary capabilities to be nominated by any province? why?

DO NOT MISREPRESENT YOUR INTENTIONS. IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU ARE TRYING TO FIND OUT IF YOU CAN RETURN TO YOUR CURRENT PLACE IMMEDIATELY AFTER GETTING PR-PNP. Yes there are interviews with the province, and yes they will know when you apply for citizenship or list your addresses etc..

RoseAndRosemary

Feb 11, 2016
Leon said:
If your sponsor wants to sponsor someone else, they will ask them where you live, not where you work so living in the PNP province should be fine.

Your second question depends completely on the landlord. They might want to see your bank statement or a credit card, a bank letter (from your employer stating how much you make and how long you work there) or something else.

As for being allowed a pet etc. here are the rules for the various provinces: moneysense.ca/spend/real-estate/renting/renters-pay-pet-deposit-not-pet-rent/
Thanks a lot, Leon

Dec 5, 2015
Hello,

Hope someone can help me out on this.

I got my OOPNP in December and applied for PR based on that under Express Entry. I recently got refused for PR on June 17 on the basis of my work experience which was fine when I applied for the PNP.

I had also applied for restoration of status under visitor visa in August 2015 which got approved on May 30 but it is only for a month and expires on June 30.

My question is, can I apply for a work permit because I have a PNP?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you!