+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the final steps of spousal sponsorship?

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello @scylla an others
This is new to me the Quebec Family Sponsorship cap. I have a question, 2 days ago our inland spousal sponsorship application on ecas turned to Decission Made, and we are hoping to receive the AIP and Portal Invite soon. Does the Cap affect us now, even if the decision was made?
Thanks

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Hello @scylla an others
This is new to me the Quebec Family Sponsorship cap. I have a question, 2 days ago our inland spousal sponsorship application on ecas turned to Decision Made, and we are hoping to receive the AIP and Portal Invite soon. Does the Cap affect us now, even if the decision was made?
Thanks
We are not sure exactly at what point it gets struck but it's certainly in the last steps. What we guess is that if it gets approved but the cap is filled, it will be put aside until 2024 when the cap renews, then processed based on first in, first out.

Mine has most steps done, remains background and eligibility but I don't think I will see any progress before 2024 as those might be put as lower priority too.

Reactions: scylla

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
We are not sure exactly at what point it gets struck but it's certainly in the last steps. What we guess is that if it gets approved but the cap is filled, it will be put aside until 2024 when the cap renews, then processed based on first in, first out.

Mine has most steps done, remains background and eligibility but I don't think I will see any progress before 2024 as those might be put as lower priority too.
That's sad, if true.Hope not.
What if the timeline exceeded the 24 months while quota is reached?

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
That's sad, if true. Hope not.
What if the timeline exceeded 24 months while the quota is reached?
The timeline outlined on the IRCC site is the average for 80% of the Quebec applications and it could exceed it, especially if the quota is in place for a while. What we read somewhere is that we get like 30k applications per year but a 10600 cap for 2023. It means the applications will certainly grow to unmanageable levels if nothing is done.

As the article I posted yesterday mentions, the new Canada immigration minister Mark Miller is urging Quebec to reconsider this and to have a good discussion on the ways to resolve the issue with the quotas.

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
The timeline outlined on the IRCC site is the average for 80% of the Quebec applications and it could exceed it, especially if the quota is in place for a while. What we read somewhere is that we get like 30k applications per year but a 10600 cap for 2023. It means the applications will certainly grow to unmanageable levels if nothing is done.

As the article I posted yesterday mentions, the new Canada immigration minister Mark Miller is urging Quebec to reconsider this and to have a good discussion on the ways to resolve the issue with the quotas.
Does the cap specify if Outland or Inland. Sponsored spouses as inland are already here in Canada!!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No idea and I'm also curious if it include inland too.
I vaguely recall that a case or two - either in that other thread or in the news articles - concerned spouses who were already in Canada. So I think fair to assume as a starting point that inland applicants not exempted from this issue. (Which yes would be incredibly stupid from any policy point of view, as reducing 'immigration' of those who are already in Canada is ridiculous but the whole policy is ridiculous.)

*Editadd: I recall that must be the case as I speculated/wrote that I wondered if Fraser as minister hadn't instituted the OWP-for-applicants-in-Canada as a way to reduce the impact on families. Which is pure speculation of course.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
I vaguely recall that a case or two - either in that other thread or in the news articles - concerned spouses who were already in Canada. So I think fair to assume as a starting point that inland applicants not exempted from this issue. (Which yes would be incredibly stupid from any policy point of view, as reducing 'immigration' of those who are already in Canada is ridiculous but the whole policy is ridiculous.)

*Editadd: I recall that must be the case as I speculated/wrote that I wondered if Fraser as minister hadn't instituted the OWP-for-applicants-in-Canada as a way to reduce the impact on families. Which is pure speculation of course.
Same for me, I also vaguely read somewhere a couple of inland applicants are also waiting a long time. so it's possible it is included in the caps. I agree it is just plain stupid to use us as bargaining chips by the Quebec government to get the immigration powers.

WaitingUSAtoCAN

Jul 28, 2023
Same for me, I also vaguely read somewhere a couple of inland applicants are also waiting a long time. so it's possible it is included in the caps. I agree it is just plain stupid to use us as bargaining chips by the Quebec government to get the immigration powers.
It's very weird that there is no clear answer I can find if inland is included in the cap.

And if it is, what are they going to do send us back?? Inland applicants are already here. Everyday being deprived of calling Quebec their new home. While also not being able to spend/return for extended amount of time to abroad/home.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
In Québec official report there is no distinction between inland and outland. Similarly high processing time on ircc website suggests the same.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's very weird that there is no clear answer I can find if inland is included in the cap.
YOu have to keep in mind that the QC government hasn't admitted openly that there IS a cap. You have to read the articles. The feds also have a 'target' (or estimated) number for spousal immigrants, but they don't limit the number of apps processed or people admitted based on those numbers - it's basically just a guess (or an estimate if you prefer).

What seems to be different about QC is that somehow, at some stage, they are limiting further appovals after that number is reached.

Point being: you're only going to get guesses (inferences, estimates, interpretations) of what's happening until such time as one or the other openly admits it's operating as a cap.

Reactions: WaitingUSAtoCAN

dun146

Jun 19, 2019
Got done with sponsor approval, biometrics, and medical. PR tracker - Background check 'in progress'. According the excel spreadsheet circulated on this forum - the next column after medical is "Moved to Visa Office (Call IRCC after App Received in ECAS to find VO Office)". How do I check if app received in ECAS? I need to find out my visa office.

Migueltravellover

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
Got done with sponsor approval, biometrics, and medical. PR tracker - Background check 'in progress'. According the excel spreadsheet circulated on this forum - the next column after medical is "Moved to Visa Office (Call IRCC after App Received in ECAS to find VO Office)". How do I check if app received in ECAS? I need to find out my visa office.
Have you tried checking with other people who know their visa office? On this tracker here, a lot of people have their primary applicant’s visa office indicated - you can ask them through a comment how they got that information, there’s hundreds of active cases you can reach out to https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/consolidated-spousal-sponsorship-tracker

Reactions: dun146