+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES recognition of postgraduate diploma /certificate program

Manish1989

Jul 31, 2017
I have a bachelor’s degree from India, which has been recognized by WES; I'm through with the process. However, I wish to do a postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate program to enhance my CRS points. I intend to do this by choosing "two or more certificates, degrees or diploma" option, which will give me extra points, as I already have a three-year degree and I need a postgraduate diploma /certificate program.

What's bothering me is whether WES will recognize it. My questions.

A. Will a 6-month postgraduate certificate program suffice?

B. Will a 12-month postgraduate diploma stand a better chance of recognition by WES?

C. What shall I do to get these crucial points?

I intend to do them from IGNOU, Delhi.
Is that a wise choice?

Since I can't find the diploma/ graduate certificate equivalency tool on WES website, I have to ask you. Though their website has the tool to equate bachelor’s and masters degrees.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp

You can find more information about this in this link under "two or more degrees / certificates or diplomas".

It provides with a list of acceptable combinations.

Please help me with this.

saba.khan

Apr 9, 2018
I have a bachelor’s degree from India, which has been recognized by WES; I'm through with the process. However, I wish to do a postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate program to enhance my CRS points. I intend to do this by choosing "two or more certificates, degrees or diploma" option, which will give me extra points, as I already have a three-year degree and I need a postgraduate diploma /certificate program.

What's bothering me is whether WES will recognize it. My questions.

A. Will a 6-month postgraduate certificate program suffice?

B. Will a 12-month postgraduate diploma stand a better chance of recognition by WES?

C. What shall I do to get these crucial points?

I intend to do them from IGNOU, Delhi.
Is that a wise choice?

Since I can't find the diploma/ graduate certificate equivalency tool on WES website, I have to ask you. Though their website has the tool to equate bachelor’s and masters degrees.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp

You can find more information about this in this link under "two or more degrees / certificates or diplomas".

It provides with a list of acceptable combinations.

Please help me with this.

Could you please tell me what did you opt for then? I am in the similar position. Thank You.

vish82

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
I am not 100% sure about it but I would advise, to be very wise in choosing the course. My wife did an MSc full time for 2 yrs but still, the assessment from WES turned out to be only a diploma. I know sadly I am being of no help but please contact someone who is in this boat and is able to guide you appropriately as the last thing you want is do a course and you are unable to claim the points. Seniors in the forum please can you shed some light on these guys. Good Luck

saba.khan

Apr 9, 2018
I am not 100% sure about it but I would advise, to be very wise in choosing the course. My wife did an MSc full time for 2 yrs but still, the assessment from WES turned out to be only a diploma. I know sadly I am being of no help but please contact someone who is in this boat and is able to guide you appropriately as the last thing you want is do a course and you are unable to claim the points. Seniors in the forum please can you shed some light on these guys. Good Luck
Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your response. It is really upsetting that after putting in so much effort, it was not credited completely.

I was about to register for a course and I am glad I came to this forum before that or else I would have definitely wasted my money, time, and energy.
If I were to take up a PG Diploma course (1 year), what will that be equivalent to?

Since I already have a Bachelor's degree of three years.
I am planning to take up a course that would enable me to choose the "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years" option.

Last edited:

vish82

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your response. It is really upsetting that after putting in so much effort, it was not credited completely.

I was about to register for a course and I am glad I came to this forum before that or else I would have definitely wasted my money, time, and energy.
If I were to take up a PG Diploma course (1 year), what will that be equivalent to?

I am planning to take up a course that would enable me to choose the "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years" option.
From the little what I understand from WES, I believe they would consider Masters only for the courses which required 4 yrs of Bachelor's. I hope, I am wrong but as I mentioned someone with the right knowledge and experience needs to guide you through this. Good luck and I hope you find the answer. Keep us all posted pls

saba.khan

Apr 9, 2018
From the little what I understand from WES, I believe they would consider Masters only for the courses which required 4 yrs of Bachelor's. I hope, I am wrong but as I mentioned someone with the right knowledge and experience needs to guide you through this. Good luck and I hope you find the answer. Keep us all posted pls
Thank you. I think you are right. I will keep you all posted.

kknid

Mar 14, 2017
Guys, not sure about WES but an year ago i reviewed this document about how IQAS assesses various credentials. Basis that I went ahead and opted for 1 year PGDIS course from IGNOU. Will be completing the course this year and then will have it assessed. In the meantime, this document might give you some idea and hope...

https://www.alberta.ca/documents/IQAS/india-detailed-credential-templates.pdf

Refer Page 46, 56 for Post Graduate Diploma (duration ranging 6 months to 2 years).. It says 1 year PG Diploma is generally compared to PG Certificate. If that is true, then also it will gain extra points for "Two and more degree, certificates...".. Will solve the purpose.

hexa310

Jun 20, 2016
Hey everyone,

Eager to know what option did you people choose to ahead with, 1 year PGDip or 6 month PGCert?

And whether anyone has been able to claim points in their EE profile with a single ECA from WES for 2 degrees or certificates with one being 4 year Bachelors degree and the other a Post Grad Certificate?

Regards.

vjkrish30

Jun 3, 2018
Hey guys,

It is wise to choose one of those universities mentioned in the WES website to do your PG Dip (1 yr min) course. 6 month certification course are not valid under the criteria Two or more degree, diploma or certificate in the EE. I learnt this after talking to multiple consultants and by personal experience.

Regards,
VJ

hexa310

Jun 20, 2016
Hey guys,

It is wise to choose one of those universities mentioned in the WES website to do your PG Dip (1 yr min) course. 6 month certification course are not valid under the criteria Two or more degree, diploma or certificate in the EE. I learnt this after talking to multiple consultants and by personal experience.

Regards,
VJ
I would but there's no option for Pakistan in the WES Equivalency Checker tool to know beforehand which Pakistani universities are recognized by WES. Do you know of any other way to find out?

hexa310

Jun 20, 2016

Hi saba.khan,

I'm in a similar situation (have a 4 yrs bachelors degree and looking for PGDip or PGCert options to be able to claim points for 2 or more degrees/certificates). Would really appreciate if you could give some updates about what you were able to learn about this and what option you finally went ahead with.

Regards.

hexa310

Jun 20, 2016
vjkrish30,

Thanks a lot for sharing that link!

Could you also shed some light on how you learnt that "6 month certification course are not valid under the criteria Two or more degree, diploma or certificate in the EE" as you mentioned in your reply earlier. As in, is this explicitly stated somewhere or did you try doing this but received an unfavorable result (with regards to claiming points for 2 degrees / certificates with a Bachelors + PGCert).

Appreciate your help!
Regards.

Reactions: Vijay Yeruva

vjkrish30

Jun 3, 2018
That was just a knowledge gained from consultants. Several people advised me to do one year course as 6 months will not be considered.

I haven't seen this stated anywhere in the Canadian website, but since i dint wanna take a chance, I took up one year course. Honestly, I am no expert in this but just sharing my experience.

https://www.quora.com/Is-a-6-month-diploma-from-CDAC-Pune-a-valid-credential-for-Canada-immigration-If-yes-which-education-credential-evaluation-agency-should-I-approach-as-WES-does-not-look-into-CDAC

Reactions: Vijay Yeruva