+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES ECA validity and renewal

roland1990

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Hi all,

My initial ECA was done in July 2014 which expired in July 2019 (validity of 5 years). I had requested for a "Order Duplicate IRCC" report in March 2019 just 4 months before the expiry date. In the duplicate report, the date when the duplicate report was issued is mentioned (March 2019) along with a note stating the date of the original ECA assessment ie July 2014. I found the following FAQ in the WES website saying that if you order a duplicate report for IRCC, it will extend the validity for 5 more years from the date of issue of the duplicate report.
Reference https://www.wes.org/advisor-blog/how-to-renew-your-eca-report/

However, some applicants have mentioned in this forum that extending validity by requesting duplicate doesn't work and their application was marked as incomplete stating the reason than ECA was older than 5 years. Does this mean that the entire ECA has to be re-done by submitting the transcripts again from the educational institution?

Looking at the CIC website, it says, they will accept ECA reports for five years from the date they are issued. However, it is not clear if the are referring to the initial date when the ECA was first done, or the date when the duplicate was issued.
Reference http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=685&top=29

Can any members / seniors comment on this please ?

roland1990

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Hi all,

My initial ECA was done in July 2014 which expired in July 2019 (validity of 5 years). I had requested for a "Order Duplicate IRCC" report in March 2019 just 4 months before the expiry date. In the duplicate report, the date when the duplicate report was issued is mentioned (March 2019) along with a note stating the date of the original ECA assessment ie July 2014. I found the following FAQ in the WES website saying that if you order a duplicate report for IRCC, it will extend the validity for 5 more years from the date of issue of the duplicate report.

However, some applicants have mentioned in this forum that extending validity by requesting duplicate doesn't work and their application was marked as incomplete stating the reason than ECA was older than 5 years. Does this mean that the entire ECA has to be re-done by submitting the transcripts again from the educational institution?

Looking at the CIC website, it says, they will accept ECA reports for five years from the date they are issued. However, it is not clear if the are referring to the initial date when the ECA was first done, or the date when the duplicate was issued.

bump

EnthuChap

Jun 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2019
Doc's Request.
22-01-2020
Nomination.....
26-11-2019
AOR Received.
01-12-2019
Med's Request
02-11-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2020
Passport Req..
06-04-2021
LANDED..........
10-09-2021
Hi all,

I came across this issue yesterday and called WES. I informed them that an individual got his application returned with the reason that his report is older than 5 years, despite him ordering a duplicate.

WES responded that they work closely with IRCC and do it as per the guidelines set by IRCC. Once you order a duplicate, the reissued report becomes current, as they reassess your report as per the current standards and issue a renewed report within 48 hours. They haven't come across this issue and they routinely follow this procedure. A duplicate report is treated as current report and will have the new date, so it remains valid for further 5 years after which the whole procedure has to be done again. If IRCC has issue with this, then they wont be issuing such duplicate reports.

Above was a response from WES.

Reactions: Miracle2018

vdguiselini

Jul 11, 2014
Hey Guys,

I had the same problem with my WES. However, after a long investigation, I discover how it works.
IRCC doesn't care about the scanned paper. It is even not mandatory for your PR process to include the documents. The only thing that matters is ECA#, which you included at the beginning of your process. However, if you had requested a re-evaluation without requesting WES to sent an electronic copy to IRCC, they will not know that you really have a newer copy and they will deny your process.
In other words, the paper you have received by mail from WES does not have value for IRCC. They only trust in electronic documents. If you did not send it, they will considerer the old date.
Note: WES does NOT send this electronic copy automatically. You need to request them!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Hey Guys,

I had the same problem with my WES. However, after a long investigation, I discover how it works.
IRCC doesn't care about the scanned paper. It is even not mandatory for your PR process to include the documents. The only thing that matters is ECA#, which you included at the beginning of your process. However, if you had requested a re-evaluation without requesting WES to sent an electronic copy to IRCC, they will not know that you really have a newer copy and they will deny your process.
In other words, the paper you have received by mail from WES does not have value for IRCC. They only trust in electronic documents. If you did not send it, they will considerer the old date.
Note: WES does NOT send this electronic copy automatically. You need to request them!
Great information and insight.

SGBruce

Sep 24, 2013
Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for your post. I ordered a duplicate report standard from WES on October 19, 2019 and it was dated as such along with a note stating the date of the original ECA assessment was on august 29, 2013. Since I have an active express entry profile, I received an email from IRCC on February 17, 2020 with the message that IRCC only accepts an Education Credential Assessment issued for immigration purposes. Therefore I ordered a duplicate report IRCC as a paper copy to myself only on February 19, 2020, but not an electronic copy to IRCC (I thought I could save some money here by just attaching a scanned report to my submission!). I received the report today. The cover letter is dated 19-Feb-2020, but the report is dated Aug 29, 2013, the original ECA assessment date!! The report did not have the date requested printed (February 19, 2020) along with a note stating the date of the original ECA assessment was on August 29, 2013.
I have received an ITA with 40 days left to submit, so I would have no time to start a new ECA application and request documentation from my two educational institutions, especially since one can only be done by mail. I am going to place an order with WES to send an electronic copy to IRCC and only include my ECA report reference number ending with IMM in my questionnaire. I hope this will meet the requirements. Can I enter the date that I sent the electronic report to IRCC to ensure IRCC recognizes that as the renewal date. Also. let me know if anyone has the same experience as me: ordered a duplicate IRCC report and it is only dated with the original issue date!

Last edited:
Reactions: abbasghani

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Alright! Time for me to chime in as well

I requested a duplicate (original done in dec 2014) yesterday night and today I got my PDF. Also I had requested both "Send ECA to me" and "eDelivery to IRCC" as seen in my account details:

Here is my WES account screen cap:

@guydecent Did you also selected eDelivery to IRCC during your first attempt, the one which failed?

Here is my ECA PDF screen cap

As you can see, that the date in the letter header is changed to 17th March 2020. I have removed some personal details from both the picture. Can folks, especially who faced difficulty before cross check against the documents they submitted earlier?

@vdguiselini Did you "deliver to IRCC" show like mine?

@SGBruce Compare mine against what you got, is there a major change? like Date field?

Last edited:

taurushimmat

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010

I requested a duplicate (original done in dec 2014) yesterday night and today I got my PDF. Also I had requested both "Send ECA to me" and "eDelivery to IRCC" as seen in my account details:

@guydecent Did you also selected eDelivery to IRCC during your first attempt, the one which failed?

As you can see, that the date in the letter header is changed to 17th March 2020. I have removed some personal details from both the picture. Can folks, especially who faced difficulty before cross check against the documents they submitted earlier?

@vdguiselini Did you "deliver to IRCC" show like mine?

@SGBruce Compare mine against what you got, is there a major change? like Date field?
Hello...My WES is also about to expire in May 2020.

Should i ask for Duplicate..will it come with validity for another 5 years...and how much would it cost.

What i understand from your post is that option for IRCC is compulsory to opt other wise this duplicate with extension in validity shall not go to IRCC and they may reject application...AM i right please..
Please advise thank you.

drew_kun

Nov 13, 2017
Hi everyone. Does anyone know, what should be done after my WES report renewal (originally issued on june 29th, 2015, renewed by issuing the electronic duplicate on june 15th, 2020. The report number stays the same, but the issue date changed with the note, of the initial issue date (2015)).

Question:
Should I update my EE profile with the new date (june 15th, 2020), or should I leave there the date of the initial issue(june 29th, 2015) because the number stays the same?

Thank you,

D.

Jun 24, 2020
@GandiBaat /@vdguiselini Can you guys please let me know which option you selected under "My Account" Section. My WES report is also expired and want to renew.

Also will it work and in report does they mention Duplicate? Is it accepted by IRCC?

Also if you guys let me know where is that option which states to send report to IRCC electronically. And what are the total charges for same. Please find Options below which i can see on my account. please let me know which one to select?

1. Order Duplicate standard
2. Order Duplicate IRCC

dkv1986

Aug 30, 2019
Thank you very much for your post. I ordered a duplicate report standard from WES on October 19, 2019 and it was dated as such along with a note stating the date of the original ECA assessment was on august 29, 2013. Since I have an active express entry profile, I received an email from IRCC on February 17, 2020 with the message that IRCC only accepts an Education Credential Assessment issued for immigration purposes. Therefore I ordered a duplicate report IRCC as a paper copy to myself only on February 19, 2020, but not an electronic copy to IRCC (I thought I could save some money here by just attaching a scanned report to my submission!). I received the report today. The cover letter is dated 19-Feb-2020, but the report is dated Aug 29, 2013, the original ECA assessment date!! The report did not have the date requested printed (February 19, 2020) along with a note stating the date of the original ECA assessment was on August 29, 2013.
I have received an ITA with 40 days left to submit, so I would have no time to start a new ECA application and request documentation from my two educational institutions, especially since one can only be done by mail. I am going to place an order with WES to send an electronic copy to IRCC and only include my ECA report reference number ending with IMM in my questionnaire. I hope this will meet the requirements. Can I enter the date that I sent the electronic report to IRCC to ensure IRCC recognizes that as the renewal date. Also. let me know if anyone has the same experience as me: ordered a duplicate IRCC report and it is only dated with the original issue date!
Hi Bruce,

I'm in the same boat, Can you please kindly let me know whether IRCC accepted a duplicate copy of ECA that you have applied to extend the validity.

dkv1986

Aug 30, 2019
Hello...My WES is also about to expire in May 2020.

Should i ask for Duplicate..will it come with validity for another 5 years...and how much would it cost.

What i understand from your post is that option for IRCC is compulsory to opt other wise this duplicate with extension in validity shall not go to IRCC and they may reject application...AM i right please..
Please advise thank you.
A duplicate report will cost 30 CAD, an electronic copy to IRCC will cost another 30 CAD, and delivery through a reputed courier company [example DHL] with tracking will be 85 CAD. Total 145 CAD.

andy24

Dec 4, 2017

Hi,

A quick question to you? While requesting duplicate to IRCC and if we don't order for ourself( just to save international courier charges), is it still be possible to view duplicate report PDF under account option?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
andy24 said:
Hi,

A quick question to you? While requesting duplicate to IRCC and if we don't order for ourself( just to save international courier charges), is it still be possible to view duplicate report PDF under account option?
[/QUOTE]

Quick answer, yes.
Detailed answer, I ordered because my original paper of that eval was missing.

Praveen09

Jan 5, 2021
Hi All,

My Wes will be expiring in August 2021, as my initial assessment was done in Aug 2016.

I am going to submit my application (AOR) this month. My question is, Do I need to apply for renewal as it will be expiring in 6 months.

I am aware that all the documents will be locked on the date of AOR, but had an doubt as the process will be taking longer than expected when the IRCC personal reviewing my document by then my ECA might be expired.

Please suggest..! Thank you very much