+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was 98% confused...now I'm 100% confused...

anik1981

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Late May
AOR Received.
06-Aug-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-Feb-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-Mar-11
LANDED..........
04-Mar-11
Thank you all who replied to a previous post I made, however, I am now officially confused. In a nutshell, he is a US Citizen, I am a Canadian Citizen...getting married in Feb...then applying for him to stay in Canada....the end (I WISH)!! I was advised in my prev post that it would be best for him to apply Outland instead of Inland, but to remain in Canada while it is in process. Has anyone done this? I was wondering, if this is an option, then why is there an Inland app? I was also wondering if applying outland will make it less likely that he would get his visit extended? He will have no apartment, no job, no car anymore, so we are not too crazy about the chance of him being sent packing, and back to Mom and Dad's. Lastly, if there is an interview, and we have to attend, will the US let me in for such a reason, and will Canada let him back in after?

On another note, I have a question regarding documents. In Ontario there is a 3 month wait for Marriage Certificates, and up to 18 weeks for FBI Criminal Checks. Can we send the app with a note stating we will be sending the documents at a later date, but due to the delay, blah, blah blah? Has anyone done this with success? I called CIC 3 times, and got 2 different answers...

Thanks everyone, I am TOTALLY overwhelmed, and we haven't even started the process yet lol :p

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
anik1981 said:
Thank you all who replied to a previous post I made, however, I am now officially confused. In a nutshell, he is a US Citizen, I am a Canadian Citizen...getting married in Feb...then applying for him to stay in Canada....the end (I WISH)!! I was advised in my prev post that it would be best for him to apply Outland instead of Inland, but to remain in Canada while it is in process. Has anyone done this? I was wondering, if this is an option, then why is there an Inland app? I was also wondering if applying outland will make it less likely that he would get his visit extended? He will have no apartment, no job, no car anymore, so we are not too crazy about the chance of him being sent packing, and back to Mom and Dad's. Lastly, if there is an interview, and we have to attend, will the US let me in for such a reason, and will Canada let him back in after?

On another note, I have a question regarding documents. In Ontario there is a 3 month wait for Marriage Certificates, and up to 18 weeks for FBI Criminal Checks. Can we send the app with a note stating we will be sending the documents at a later date, but due to the delay, blah, blah blah? Has anyone done this with success? I called CIC 3 times, and got 2 different answers...

Thanks everyone, I am TOTALLY overwhelmed, and we haven't even started the process yet lol :p
Oh boy. Okay. My personal policy for contacting the government is call 3 times and if two answers are the same go with that. If you called 3 times and got two different answers, that also means two were the same.

Everyone has your best interests at heart but every*thing* changes from person to person, experience to experience for each of us. Some can explain the inland vs outland application far better than I (while I accept it, I don't *understand* it) but yes, it is apparently legal to apply as an out of Canada applicant even while you are *IN* Canada.

What I've learned is that an outland application is supposed to be faster than an inland one and that, if rejected, you have more options legally available than if you apply inland.

Regarding the interview, should one be required, you may (but not likely) be asked to attend. If you go, it is up to the American Border Patrol Officer on duty where and when you cross to determine if you are allowed entry to the USA. Similarly, when the interview is complete, it is up to the Canadian Border Patrol Officer on duty where and when he crosses to determine if he is allowed entry to Canada.

Each and every time someone wishes to cross an International border a chance is taken.

Personally, I wouldn't file without the marriage certificate but would consider doing so with the FBI report to follow up.

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
anik1981 said:
Thank you all who replied to a previous post I made, however, I am now officially confused. In a nutshell, he is a US Citizen, I am a Canadian Citizen...getting married in Feb...then applying for him to stay in Canada....the end (I WISH)!! I was advised in my prev post that it would be best for him to apply Outland instead of Inland, but to remain in Canada while it is in process. Has anyone done this?
I have done this. Outland processing but being with my husband in Canada.

anik1981 said:
I was also wondering if applying outland will make it less likely that he would get his visit extended? He will have no apartment, no job, no car anymore, so we are not too crazy about the chance of him being sent packing, and back to Mom and Dad's.
No. I applied for extension 30 days before my status expired, asking for it to be extended until December 8th, 2009. I received an extension until August 13th, 2010. :D

anik1981 said:
Since I lived in the US for more than 6 months I had to submit a FBI clearance, plus the state clearance. I also read about the 18 weeks and got worried, but we put a deadline for them. 2 weeks later we received the FBI clearance - much before the deadline, totally unexpected.

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anik1981 said:

Hey... my common law spouse and I did this. He was in Canada the entire time, we went through Buffalo. We applied and were approved for a visitor visa extension, however our PR application was processed so fast through Buffalo, that he actually got his PR BEFORE the new visitor visa. Buffalo has been processing very fast- MUCH faster than you could ever expect to even be done with first stage approval for inland...so I highly recommend going outland in your situation.

As far as if an interview is required... do you have a Canadian passport? If so, there is no reason to think that they wouldnt let you into the US. Regarding him returning, it is no different then any other time a foreign national is entering Canada- there is no guarantee, but if he has a visitor visa that would likely not be an issue (but as I mentioned- no guarantees). On a side note- it's more likely than not that you wont even need an interview, so I wouldnt stress about that aspect. Submit adequate proof, and demonstrate that your relationship is genuine.