+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WARSAW TIMELINE-Join here !!

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Hi all,

So I'm sponsoring my wife, who is from Belarus, and our Belarusian marriage certificate and her workbook are both in Russian, and we had them translated at a certified translator in Belarus and the document copies were notarized by a public notary also in Belarus (public notary statement was written in Russian).

My question is: Should I also translate the public notary's statement on those document copies by the same translator or there's no need?
hi
I certified a copy of the document at the notary (for example, work record book), then gave it to the translator, then again to the notary who confirmed the translation (some translation companies do this on their own)
*but, for example, I did not make a copy of the birth certificate, but sent a duplicate, so I skipped the first point in this case

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No pardons needed. VFS Global in cooperation with IRCC, CSIS(Canadian security and Intelligence Service) for various background checks and, probably, a few other Federal agencies, are in charge of the whole process of issuing visas. I am sure IRCC has some kind of supervisory function, and a big say on the final decision, which is in vast majority of cases is a very simple "qualified or not qualified" according to the federal Immigration Act,
I am also sure no Canadian is dealing with the minutia of collecting and piecing together all the information for our immigration files. VFS Global is a big private company, they do visas for 64 countries, and they have have a gazillion VACs....
Here:
With 3399 application centres and operations in 144 countries across 5 continents, VFS Global serves the interests of 64 client governments. The company has successfully processed over 224 million applications since its inception in 2001, and over 97.52 million biometric enrolments since 2007.

Yes, I am saying that the Canadian Embassy has nothing to do with any of our problems!
This is mostly wrong, meaning you can criticise the government all you want. VFS basically takes on the biometrics and logistics side - accepting applications, with biometrics, sending files and that back and forth, and deliveries within the region and I believe accepting payment in most places as well. It means embassies don't have to maintain most of the public facing stuff with waiting areas, etc, nor maintain large logistic operations. It's a big deal because security costs for embassies are high.

VFS does have a role in first check that applications are complete when physically delivered by applicant in person (checklist, not verifying content) . But no evaluation of note beyond that.

Most of the rest is IRCC though,whether in canada or at embassies. I am almost certain all visas must be physically issued by Canadian government.

Moscow embassy does have some staff working on IRCC matters but most is done by Warsaw. Don't know specifically what roles and authorities Moscow emb has in this regard - quite limited but not zero.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
This is mostly wrong, meaning you can criticise the government all you want. VFS basically takes on the biometrics and logistics side - accepting applications, with biometrics, sending files and that back and forth, and deliveries within the region and I believe accepting payment in most places as well. It means embassies don't have to maintain most of the public facing stuff with waiting areas, etc, nor maintain large logistic operations. It's a big deal because security costs for embassies are high.

VFS does have a role in first check that applications are complete when physically delivered by applicant in person (checklist, not verifying content) . But no evaluation of note beyond that.

Most of the rest is IRCC though,whether in canada or at embassies. I am almost certain all visas must be physically issued by Canadian government.

Moscow embassy does have some staff working on IRCC matters but most is done by Warsaw. Don't know specifically what roles and authorities Moscow emb has in this regard - quite limited but not zero.
And the source of this information is.....?

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
No pardons needed. VFS Global in cooperation with IRCC, CSIS(Canadian security and Intelligence Service) for various background checks and, probably, a few other Federal agencies, are in charge of the whole process of issuing visas. I am sure IRCC has some kind of supervisory function, and a big say on the final decision, which is in vast majority of cases is a very simple "qualified or not qualified" according to the federal Immigration Act,
I am also sure no Canadian is dealing with the minutia of collecting and piecing together all the information for our immigration files. VFS Global is a big private company, they do visas for 64 countries, and they have have a gazillion VACs....
Here:
With 3399 application centres and operations in 144 countries across 5 continents, VFS Global serves the interests of 64 client governments. The company has successfully processed over 224 million applications since its inception in 2001, and over 97.52 million biometric enrolments since 2007.

Yes, I am saying that the Canadian Embassy has nothing to do with any of our problems!
You’re so misinformed.
Quote:
Who decides if I will get a visa?
Your visa application will be processed by the Government of Canada, who makes all decisions regarding your visa application. VFS Global and its staff do not play any part in or influence the outcome of your visa application. VFS Global can only provide services to ensure that your visa application is correctly filled in and submitted.

(Note that in case of any PR applications VFS Global plays even a lesser role because these type of visas can’t be submitted there. So it can’t be checked for completeness by VACs employees)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Your visa application will be processed by the Government of Canada, who makes all decisions regarding your visa application. VFS Global and its staff do not play any part in or influence the outcome of your visa application.
I've been thinking about this more and the thing I don't understand is why the Moscow/Russian VFS offices are not open for Canadian files.

I mean, it's not driven by the Russian coronavirus restrictions - the same offices are handling visa apps and the like for other countries and embassies. The only guess I have of substance - apart from some banal idiocy like not wanting to pay for it, which doesn't make a lot of sense, because VFS is surely compensated out of the fees - is that Canada's decided that because of the (still fairly severe) travel restrictions, the volume of Russian-locatd apps and files doesn't make sense.(Compare to Warsaw where the intra-EU travel is much less restricted and there are direct flights to Canada, I think).

Which brings me to my pure-speculation guess, that Warsaw may (repeat may) be prioritising files acc to which countries have VFS offices open and functioning. This might explain why there has been movement on some other country's files (Belarus, Baltics, Ukraine) that are nominally linked to the Warsaw VFS office, but not for Russian ones.

Yes, I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, because for example, for those files that already have biometrics and medicals, there is no need for public opening of the Moscow VFS office, it can be done by mail (or sent to Warsaw VFS office or anywhere in the world really). And there are a lot of other objections to why this should have no relation to processing of files at least at certain stages.

So I understand the objections to my speculative theory, but I also have some experience with bureaucracies, and sometimes they have weird logic loops esp when limited staff and other constraints. Something like "we have to prioritise some files, Russia has limited travel, therefore Moscow VFS not open, therefore all Moscow files on hold (except exceptional/urgent)." It doesn't make a lot of sense because we all know it is possible to get on flights outside of Russia and to Canada, i.e. it's faulty logic, but faulty simple logic sometimes wins over correct and more complex logic.

As I said I was on this videoconference thing where people were asking questions and there were a lot of people asking about (say) student visas and the answers were almost always 'since the universities are all doing distance learning we are not processing those, you don't need a visa to do online classes.' There were a lot of logical gaps, like people wondering how they could risk paying canadian tuition when they have no guarantee they'll get a visa in future, i.e. they could lose all the money; the answer was not encouraging, basically 'that probably won't happen but it could.'

Not that any of my speculation makes a difference for our spousal files right now, all we can do is wait. But I think the VFS office opening might actually be an important step for spousal files too.

sarasen77

Aug 29, 2017
hi
I certified a copy of the document at the notary (for example, work record book), then gave it to the translator, then again to the notary who confirmed the translation (some translation companies do this on their own)
*but, for example, I did not make a copy of the birth certificate, but sent a duplicate, so I skipped the first point in this case
Thank you for your reply! So in my case since I did the translation before notarizing the copies, can I take them again to the translator to translate the notary's statement? (the translation date would be months before the notary statement translation then).

P.S.: The affidavit was written already by the translator as well on the translated copies.

Спасибо за ваш помощь!

Reactions: Belarusian

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
I've been thinking about this more and the thing I don't understand is why the Moscow/Russian VFS offices are not open for Canadian files.

I mean, it's not driven by the Russian coronavirus restrictions - the same offices are handling visa apps and the like for other countries and embassies. The only guess I have of substance - apart from some banal idiocy like not wanting to pay for it, which doesn't make a lot of sense, because VFS is surely compensated out of the fees - is that Canada's decided that because of the (still fairly severe) travel restrictions, the volume of Russian-locatd apps and files doesn't make sense.(Compare to Warsaw where the intra-EU travel is much less restricted and there are direct flights to Canada, I think).

Which brings me to my pure-speculation guess, that Warsaw may (repeat may) be prioritising files acc to which countries have VFS offices open and functioning. This might explain why there has been movement on some other country's files (Belarus, Baltics, Ukraine) that are nominally linked to the Warsaw VFS office, but not for Russian ones.

Yes, I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, because for example, for those files that already have biometrics and medicals, there is no need for public opening of the Moscow VFS office, it can be done by mail (or sent to Warsaw VFS office or anywhere in the world really). And there are a lot of other objections to why this should have no relation to processing of files at least at certain stages.

So I understand the objections to my speculative theory, but I also have some experience with bureaucracies, and sometimes they have weird logic loops esp when limited staff and other constraints. Something like "we have to prioritise some files, Russia has limited travel, therefore Moscow VFS not open, therefore all Moscow files on hold (except exceptional/urgent)." It doesn't make a lot of sense because we all know it is possible to get on flights outside of Russia and to Canada, i.e. it's faulty logic, but faulty simple logic sometimes wins over correct and more complex logic.

As I said I was on this videoconference thing where people were asking questions and there were a lot of people asking about (say) student visas and the answers were almost always 'since the universities are all doing distance learning we are not processing those, you don't need a visa to do online classes.' There were a lot of logical gaps, like people wondering how they could risk paying canadian tuition when they have no guarantee they'll get a visa in future, i.e. they could lose all the money; the answer was not encouraging, basically 'that probably won't happen but it could.'

Not that any of my speculation makes a difference for our spousal files right now, all we can do is wait. But I think the VFS office opening might actually be an important step for spousal files too.
I mostly agree with you. I think most Russian cases on hold due some reasons. We just ordered notes so it would be interesting if any of those reasons were listed there. And also wanted to clarify that people from Ukraine have their own VACs and their files are being processed in London, not Warsaw. What actions can be taken? (Except waiting). I think it makes sense to email the embassy in Moscow to ask for an update on the day of VACs reopening. Can you email them as a Canadian citizen? I asked my partner to email them but he said it would not help. But we had thoughts that it might be a good (but still crazy) idea to move somewhere temporarily. We had two options which are available for me as a Russian citizen (considering travel restrictions): Belarus (to be close to Warsaw showing that we don’t need to wait for Russian VACs to be reopened) and Dubai (to be near by already opened the Dubai VAC). Now the first option is not possible because it’s not safe there for foreigners (especially for those who don’t support Lukashenko). After checking all the prices the second option became too expensive (to stay there at least one month).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your reply! So in my case since I did the translation before notarizing the copies, can I take them again to the translator to translate the notary's statement? (the translation date would be months before the notary statement translation then).

P.S.: The affidavit was written already by the translator as well on the translated copies.

Спасибо за ваш помощь!
I perhaps don't understand what you did, but when I've done these in Russia, the translation bureaux are mostly 'joint' with notaries, and they specify what you need when you get an official doc translated, i.e. they do the notarised copy and translation all at once. (Obviously you can get just a translation done but when it's of an official document, doing both is usually the default, different thing if you're just getting an article or something translated for unofficial use).

So perhaps ask the translator what they've done. Hopefully they're not complete morons and did it the right way to begin with.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But we had thoughts that it might be a good (but still crazy) idea to move somewhere temporarily. We had two options which are available for me as a Russian citizen (considering travel restrictions): Belarus (to be close to Warsaw showing that we don’t need to wait for Russian VACs to be reopened) and Dubai (to be near by already opened the Dubai VAC). Now the first option is not possible because it’s not safe there for foreigners (especially for those who don’t support Lukashenko). After checking all the prices the second option became too expensive (to stay there at least one month).
It may or may not be crazy but I don't think moving to Belarus or Dubai or anywhere else just temporarily would help at all. I'm just guessing but I doubt they'd just start working on your file because you told them you were next door in Warsaw, either. They'd probably take longer to figure out what to do.

Reactions: passenger19

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
It may or may not be crazy but I don't think moving to Belarus or Dubai or anywhere else just temporarily would help at all. I'm just guessing but I doubt they'd just start working on your file because you told them you were next door in Warsaw, either. They'd probably take longer to figure out what to do.
The main reason for this “moving“ was for reunification with my partner because it’s almost 6 months apart. But I still think it would help somehow. Who knows tho

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019

Спасибо за ваш помощь!
so now you go to notary with doc. he make notarizing the copie
than you go to transl comp and show your old translation they add new transl of notarization (the translation of the document and the notarization must be sewn together) you will pay an additional fee for 1 new sheet if you go to the same company where the document was translated earlier
next step you go to notary and he do notarization of translation

Lisaexpat

Dec 7, 2018
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01/05/2018
AOR Received.
Interview........
Not needed
do you mean they refused to provide your MP with information on your case? or they made a decision and didn't approve PR?
They were withholding the refusal letter! Which i need for my appeal. Lots BS going on with this visa office.only got the letter becsuse I made a big stink with the MP.

• Wow
Reactions: Belarusian