FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01/05/2018
AOR Received.
Interview........
Not needed
I understand now that all the guessing and speculating about VACs and VOs, Warsaws and Moscows is just a huge pile of BS!
None of our guesses and speculations were right, never mind right, not anywhere near the place!
I contacted my MP as well, after getting them all consent forms, I did get a copy of the electronic file that is kept at IRCC, and this is it.
In the email the MP office politely informed me that aside for an occasional retrieval of information, the office would not be able to help me with anything that would influence the outcome.
I filed an ATIP request with a $5 fee, requesting a copy of my niece's file from Warsaw, just to get a polite answer that because of COVID, all deadlines were extended by 365 days, so from a statutory 30 day maximum wait it instantly became "not before August 2021".....
Shoot, as a Canadian, I am so disgusted with this situation, and a total lack of personal power to do anything about that
My niece cries daily, she is all dressed up and packed, ready to come, and here we go.....
I also noted that actual citizens of the RF are not getting any visas as of lately, some ethnic Russians from other jurisdictions are getting some...
This thing is really the largest source of frustration for me.... and NO MORE GUESSING, this is all a huge pile of bullsh*t.....
Yes i can relate. Our application going on 2 years now. Starting appeal process.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
You’re so misinformed.
Quote:
Who decides if I will get a visa?
Your visa application will be processed by the Government of Canada, who makes all decisions regarding your visa application. VFS Global and its staff do not play any part in or influence the outcome of your visa application. VFS Global can only provide services to ensure that your visa application is correctly filled in and submitted.

(Note that in case of any PR applications VFS Global plays even a lesser role because these type of visas can’t be submitted there. So it can’t be checked for completeness by VACs employees)
I am tired of making a point that there is a huge difference between "Canadian Government" in the form of a qualified Public Servant according to the Immigration Act, and the Canadian Embassy in Moscow.
If you guys are right that it's a bunch of Canadians sitting in Warsaw approving your and my niece's visas, we are going to be sitting here on this forum a year from now talking about the same thing.
I very strongly doubt that there is a group of Canadian citizens bravely leaving Canada to go work on your visas in Poland.......

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am tired of making a point that there is a huge difference between "Canadian Government" in the form of a qualified Public Servant according to the Immigration Act, and the Canadian Embassy in Moscow.
If you guys are right that it's a bunch of Canadians sitting in Warsaw approving your and my niece's visas, we are going to be sitting here on this forum a year from now talking about the same thing.
I very strongly doubt that there is a group of Canadian citizens bravely leaving Canada to go work on your visas in Poland.......
I don't know what your point is exactly but you're basically wrong on this too, at least the staffing side.

There may be some exceptions I'm unaware of, but the employees of all embassies are Canadian government employees (exceptions might be some limited stuff like cleaning staff or stuff contracted out). There are rotational Canada-based staff and local employees. The canada-based are all "qualified public servants" with the authorities relevant for their positions.

The local employees naturally tend to include more support staff but can also include those who eventually take on more responsibilities and can also get accorded the necessary approval authorities, etc. (Note that 'locally hired' does not necessarily mean local citizens, although that's more common, of course). But most in positions of authority will be Canadian staff - although it's hard for them to be efficient if the support staff are not working due to covid, either.

I've mentioned before, the regular summer periodic rotation of Canada-based staff is surely chaotic this year. That doesn't mean there are none on hand, but there will be shortages of staff. Some may have had to return due to covid, others may have had their families sent to Canada and been there alone, lots of issues. Some won't be able to move with families if the schooling situation is uncertain. (Some other staff without families may jump at opportunity to go, but it would still be a massive staffing realignment)

So yes, there will be delays. On the other hand, some programs like tourist visas are completely stopped, student visas sort-of on hold, etc - so some staff can perhaps be moved from one set of tasks to another. Even with that though there will be delays.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I don't know what your point is exactly but you're basically wrong on this too, at least the staffing side.

There may be some exceptions I'm unaware of, but the employees of all embassies are Canadian government employees (exceptions might be some limited stuff like cleaning staff or stuff contracted out). There are rotational Canada-based staff and local employees. The canada-based are all "qualified public servants" with the authorities relevant for their positions.

The local employees naturally tend to include more support staff but can also include those who eventually take on more responsibilities and can also get accorded the necessary approval authorities, etc. (Note that 'locally hired' does not necessarily mean local citizens, although that's more common, of course). But most in positions of authority will be Canadian staff - although it's hard for them to be efficient if the support staff are not working due to covid, either.

I've mentioned before, the regular summer periodic rotation of Canada-based staff is surely chaotic this year. That doesn't mean there are none on hand, but there will be shortages of staff. Some may have had to return due to covid, others may have had their families sent to Canada and been there alone, lots of issues. Some won't be able to move with families if the schooling situation is uncertain. (Some other staff without families may jump at opportunity to go, but it would still be a massive staffing realignment)

So yes, there will be delays. On the other hand, some programs like tourist visas are completely stopped, student visas sort-of on hold, etc - so some staff can perhaps be moved from one set of tasks to another. Even with that though there will be delays.
This is a very well thought over answer, thank you for taking your time, my friend.
Granted, multiple difficulties from various directions, like a chain with several broken links... I still think that the basic question is: what is it exactly that's holding us back?
My whole point was that us sitting here on the forum and making all sorts of different assumptions and guestimations about re-opening and re-reopening, those idiotic emails in June many people got with zero follow-up to that in real action, many other predictions we were making are more harmful than they help. I build myself up and tell my niece that everything is great and things start moving soon just to get disappointed over and over again.
My niece is already talking about adopting a cat, in Moscow, just to show you how much trust she is having in this process...
I just stopped talking about Canada to her, it's really shitty and awkward, but what else can do?..

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
This is a very well thought over answer, thank you for taking your time, my friend.
Granted, multiple difficulties from various directions, like a chain with several broken links... I still think that the basic question is: what is it exactly that's holding us back?
My whole point was that us sitting here on the forum and making all sorts of different assumptions and guestimations about re-opening and re-reopening, those idiotic emails in June many people got with zero follow-up to that in real action, many other predictions we were making are more harmful than they help. I build myself up and tell my niece that everything is great and things start moving soon just to get disappointed over and over again.
My niece is already talking about adopting a cat, in Moscow, just to show you how much trust she is having in this process...
I just stopped talking about Canada to her, it's really shitty and awkward, but what else can do?..
PS....
By " those idiotic emails" I was referring to the emails from IRCC in June many of us received that the file is still in process....followed by a big fat nothing!

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
@RushnTiger I just want to say a few things if you don’t mind. 1) This forum exists not only for posting timelines and asking/answering direct questions. In my humble opinion, it also exists to exchange our thoughts, guesses and support each other. You call it annoying and distracting to talk about reopening/VO things, but I call it helpful and refreshing to be heard, knowing that I’m not alone in this process. I don’t know about others but as for me no one in my family can understand what I’m going through. So I feel a little better when I read other people’s stories and thoughts regarding the process. If you don’t like these guessing discussions, you can just skip them. 2) These “stupid” letters are a part of the process. Warsaw has to send them in order to notify you that they officially received the file. After that they can take as much time as they want. From a week to a year. And as Armoured mentioned a lot of things are going on (stuff rotations, vacations, the virus issues) it’s kinda understandable to not hear back from them. 3) You can’t compare the 12 months timeline for spouses/common-law to timelines for other relatives (e.g. for a niece). As I said to you before there’s no even an estimated timeframe for your case. And similar case (a relative residing in Canada) takes two years to be processed. In my understanding they prioritize spouses/common-law over other groups of sponsorship. As you can see there’s almost no movement in even prioritized groups, so what can be done for the rest...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I build myself up and tell my niece that everything is great and things start moving soon just to get disappointed over and over again.
I don't mean to disappoint you but in the interest of realistic expectations - as others mentioned, the program under which you are sponsoring your niece is not the spousal one and the timelines are unknown in normal times.

And right now due to covid, your niece would not be allowed into Canada at all - the exemptions only apply to immediate family members.

And if I'm right about how they are prioritising staff time, I believe they are simply not processing (or minimally) files for applicants who can't enter Canada due to covid travel restrictions. (Or put differently only those applicants who can enter Canada right now - under any PR or visitor permit program - are getting any priority when staff time is available). So realistically, I wouldn't get your hopes up for quick processing.

That said, I assume your niece is young and the chances are security clearances will be relatively quick, which can be lengthy for Russian applicants. So hopefully when things open up it won't be too bad, allowing for the existing backlog.

It's also possible to bring cats to Canada when the time comes.

Reactions: JRAY_

JRAY_

Apr 29, 2019

Six months is a long time though... The Government of Canada have taken exceptional precautionary measures (i.e., staff working from home until at least the fall...) especially in comparison to provincial governments and private industry who can't afford such drastic inefficiencies and measures. My spouse's PR application is supposed to be processed at the end of this week which isn't going to happen. Her criminality check is in progress and her background check still hasn't been initiated. The thing that upsets me is now that there is going to be a huge bottle neck as PR applicants applied after the shutdown and prospective applicants submit their applications, which presumably are all done online now. Are these going to be processed sooner since many paper-based can't be worked on? I have been extremely busy with work so I have't really been able to follow much that goes on here, but I have serious concerns with regards to how the paper-based applications are going to be processed in comparison to the new online applications. I don't know why they couldn't just transfer / process outstanding applications in Canada or have a viable solution by now. It's frustrating when you pay so much taxes and this is what you get in return because your spouse is a "foreign national"... in government terms, non-essential....

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Six months is a long time though... The thing that upsets me is now that there is going to be a huge bottle neck as PR applicants applied after the shutdown and prospective applicants submit their applications, which presumably are all done online now.
... but I have serious concerns with regards to how the paper-based applications are going to be processed in comparison to the new online applications.
Mainly I was just trying to explain that the embassy staff responsible actually are qualified public service types employed by government.

I know it may sound like it, but I'm really not trying to defend how they're performing - just understand it. (I admit I think sometimes there are unrealistic expectations here about priorities and the scale of the problem, but that doesn't mean I think immigration has done 'well' in this crisis)

Paper vs online: clearly they intend to move to online apps for spousal at some point. But as far as I'm aware, nothing has been announced and certainly not started yet. So no point worrying about that.

Last edited:

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I wanted to but my wife is Ukranian and she hates Russia...you guys annexed Crimea :p Belarus is next.
I actually wanted to move to Russia when I was 25 but getting permanent resident in Russia is as hard as trying to visit North Korea (even though I was married to a Russian national)
Six months is a long time though... The Government of Canada have taken exceptional precautionary measures (i.e., staff working from home until at least the fall...) especially in comparison to provincial governments and private industry who can't afford such drastic inefficiencies and measures. My spouse's PR application is supposed to be processed at the end of this week which isn't going to happen. Her criminality check is in progress and her background check still hasn't been initiated. The thing that upsets me is now that there is going to be a huge bottle neck as PR applicants applied after the shutdown and prospective applicants submit their applications, which presumably are all done online now. Are these going to be processed sooner since many paper-based can't be worked on? I have been extremely busy with work so I have't really been able to follow much that goes on here, but I have serious concerns with regards to how the paper-based applications are going to be processed in comparison to the new online applications. I don't know why they couldn't just transfer / process outstanding applications in Canada or have a viable solution by now. It's frustrating when you pay so much taxes and this is what you get in return because your spouse is a "foreign national"... in government terms, non-essential....

• Haha
Reactions: Phalos

reptiloid

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
I mostly agree with you. I think most Russian cases on hold due some reasons. We just ordered notes so it would be interesting if any of those reasons were listed there. And also wanted to clarify that people from Ukraine have their own VACs and their files are being processed in London, not Warsaw. What actions can be taken? (Except waiting). I think it makes sense to email the embassy in Moscow to ask for an update on the day of VACs reopening. Can you email them as a Canadian citizen? I asked my partner to email them but he said it would not help. But we had thoughts that it might be a good (but still crazy) idea to move somewhere temporarily. We had two options which are available for me as a Russian citizen (considering travel restrictions): Belarus (to be close to Warsaw showing that we don’t need to wait for Russian VACs to be reopened) and Dubai (to be near by already opened the Dubai VAC). Now the first option is not possible because it’s not safe there for foreigners (especially for those who don’t support Lukashenko). After checking all the prices the second option became too expensive (to stay there at least one month).
hello, mate! I have the same thoughts as @armoured and you, but a little bit different concerning processing priorities. as far as I understand, people do not receive passport requests all over the world, so in Russia there is no exception. we do not know what is happening behind the gcms notes, for example, maybe all checks are done (or mostly done) but no marks are made not to foster speculations among candidates.

i think, we need to wait (no doubt it is nervous situation), as more vfs begin to operate, this will mean that some positive changes are being made. vfs do not have any real power, they act just like an agent, everything is decided by immigration service.

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
hello, mate! I have the same thoughts as @armoured and you, but a little bit different concerning processing priorities. as far as I understand, people do not receive passport requests all over the world, so in Russia there is no exception. we do not know what is happening behind the gcms notes, for example, maybe all checks are done (or mostly done) but no marks are made not to foster speculations among candidates.

i think, we need to wait (no doubt it is nervous situation), as more vfs begin to operate, this will mean that some positive changes are being made. vfs do not have any real power, they act just like an agent, everything is decided by immigration service.
Hi there! People from the Family Reunification Stream actually receive PPR time to time, not that often as it was before lockdowns but there’s still some movement. I don’t know the accurate statistics but so far I’ve seen 5 applicants who got PPR from Warsaw recently: 2 from Riga, 1 from Minsk, 2 from Russia. The closest VAC for Latvia and Belarus is that one in Warsaw, so it’s understandable that they received PPR. As of Russian applicants, considering the Russian VACs closure, I believe there were some sort of exemptions. (The first one is because of an elderly relative, the second one is because of kids and their mother who were waiting for the father to join them). The rest of Russian applicants keep waiting. I still believe that the notes are helpful, at very least (apart from other possibly useful information) they show dates of entries and deadlines. It’s still better than sit and know nothing.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I don't mean to disappoint you but in the interest of realistic expectations - as others mentioned, the program under which you are sponsoring your niece is not the spousal one and the timelines are unknown in normal times.

And right now due to covid, your niece would not be allowed into Canada at all - the exemptions only apply to immediate family members.

And if I'm right about how they are prioritising staff time, I believe they are simply not processing (or minimally) files for applicants who can't enter Canada due to covid travel restrictions. (Or put differently only those applicants who can enter Canada right now - under any PR or visitor permit program - are getting any priority when staff time is available). So realistically, I wouldn't get your hopes up for quick processing.

That said, I assume your niece is young and the chances are security clearances will be relatively quick, which can be lengthy for Russian applicants. So hopefully when things open up it won't be too bad, allowing for the existing backlog.

It's also possible to bring cats to Canada when the time comes.