+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WARSAW TIMELINE-Join here !!

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I don't mean to disappoint you but in the interest of realistic expectations - as others mentioned, the program under which you are sponsoring your niece is not the spousal one and the timelines are unknown in normal times.

And right now due to covid, your niece would not be allowed into Canada at all - the exemptions only apply to immediate family members.

And if I'm right about how they are prioritising staff time, I believe they are simply not processing (or minimally) files for applicants who can't enter Canada due to covid travel restrictions. (Or put differently only those applicants who can enter Canada right now - under any PR or visitor permit program - are getting any priority when staff time is available). So realistically, I wouldn't get your hopes up for quick processing.

That said, I assume your niece is young and the chances are security clearances will be relatively quick, which can be lengthy for Russian applicants. So hopefully when things open up it won't be too bad, allowing for the existing backlog.

It's also possible to bring cats to Canada when the time comes.
All this is your wishful thinking, unauthorized "unofficial" priorities and all that. Just because you want it to be this way does not mean it is that way.
I would have a great reason to complain if you were right, and, if you are, I AM going to complain.
My niece is "statutory" my closest relative relative and I am sure hoping cases like mine are not singled out for delays!
It's clearly stated in all correspondence that "all cases will be processed in the order they were received..."
No prioritizing, not for me, and not for you.

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
All this is your wishful thinking, unauthorized "unofficial" priorities and all that. Just because you want it to be this way does not mean it is that way.
I would have a great reason to complain if you were right, and, if you are, I AM going to complain.
My niece is "statutory" my closest relative relative and I am sure hoping cases like mine are not singled out for delays!
It's clearly stated in all correspondence that "all cases will be processed in the order they were received..."
No prioritizing, not for me, and not for you.
How would you know it’s delayed if there’s no even an estimated timeframe for your case?

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
And right now due to covid, your niece would not be allowed into Canada at all - the exemptions only apply to immediate family members.
This clause has nothing to do with immigration, people with valid immigration visas are not looked at by family relation, heck, some don't have any family members in Canada and would still be able to enter with a valid visa today, say, a temporary foreign worker heading to Windsor.
My niece won't be going through the border as "my niece", she will be crossing as a "Permanent Resident Family Class", just like any other immigrant.
Now, having said that, BECAUSE of this clause I would not be able to go to the US to visit my uncle, and my uncle would not be able to come visit me from the US, since this agreement is reciprocal.
Or, if my niece and my daughter wanted to come visit me today from Moscow, together, and BOTH would have valid 10-year Canadian tourist visas, my daughter actually would be able to come, but my niece would not. It's the same as a British daughter , who does not need a visa to come to Canada, can come visit her father in Canada and she will be let in, as an immediate family member, who falls into this exemption.
Or, an American daughter would be let in and an American niece would not. A niece would need a different reason for entry into Canada, aside for seeing her uncle.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
How would you know it’s delayed if there’s no even an estimated timeframe for your case?
I would not, but this is where "integrity of the process" comes into consideration.
I would have a complete trust in the process, as I actually do. I absolutely believe that the time for processing any spousal outland application is the same as processing my niece's file, since all process is the same after approval of sponsorship.

Saying "prioritizing" one group is the same as saying "holding back another group". I truly believe everything is done in the order it was received.

Last edited:

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
I would not, but this is where "integrity of the process" comes into consideration.
I would have a complete trust in the process, as I actually do. I absolutely believe that the time for processing any spousal outland application is the same as processing my niece's file, since all process is the same after approval of sponsorship.

Saying "prioritizing" one group is the same as saying "holding back another group". I truly believe everything is done in the order it was received.
I’m sorry but they do prioritize some groups over others. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This clause has nothing to do with immigration, people with valid immigration visas are not looked at by family relation, heck, some don't have any family members in Canada and would still be able to enter with a valid visa today, say, a temporary foreign worker heading to Windsor.
Right now, they are - I don't know about temporary workers, but the travel restrictions do indeed have exemptions that apply specifically to immediate family members. Two people with otherwise identical visas and different "family relations"' (immediate vs not immediate) indeed have diffferent status under the covid travel regs.

My niece won't be going through the border as "my niece", she will be crossing as a "Permanent Resident Family Class", just like any other immigrant.
And right now, some CoPR holders are allowed to enter, and some are not - and one of those reasons is being an immediate family member. As I understand, as you are not an immediate family member, she would not be allowed to enter if she had a TRV or COPR (not at least based on this exemption).

Now, having said that, BECAUSE of this clause I would not be able to go to the US to visit my uncle, and my uncle would not be able to come visit me from the US, since this agreement is reciprocal.
I do not know about you entering USA, but right now, no, your uncle would not be allowed to enter Canada for a visit. If he was an immediate family member he would.

Or, if my niece and my daughter wanted to come visit me today from Moscow, together, and BOTH would have valid 10-year Canadian tourist visas, my daughter actually would be able to come, but my niece would not.
Right now, this is the case. Precisely.

It's the same as a British daughter , who does not need a visa to come to Canada, can come visit her father in Canada and she will be let in, as an immediate family member, who falls into this exemption.
Or, an American daughter would be let in and an American niece would not. A niece would need a different reason for entry into Canada, aside for seeing her uncle.
Yes, and yes, and yes.

If you don't like this, that's fine, don't blame it on me. If you think it's wrong, please check and show me the relevant regs.

I'm not trying to upset you, just provide information that I believe to be accurate.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Right now, they are - I don't know about temporary workers, but the travel restrictions do indeed have exemptions that apply specifically to immediate family members. Two people with otherwise identical visas and different "family relations"' (immediate vs not immediate) indeed have diffferent status under the covid travel regs.

And right now, some CoPR holders are allowed to enter, and some are not - and one of those reasons is being an immediate family member. As I understand, as you are not an immediate family member, she would not be allowed to enter if she had a TRV or COPR (not at least based on this exemption).

I do not know about you entering USA, but right now, no, your uncle would not be allowed to enter Canada for a visit. If he was an immediate family member he would.

Right now, this is the case. Precisely.

Yes, and yes, and yes.

If you don't like this, that's fine, don't blame it on me. If you think it's wrong, please check and show me the relevant regs.

I'm not trying to upset you, just provide information that I believe to be accurate.
My point is that it does not affect me at all! : )
There is nothing to like or not to like....
Actually, not a bad clause.

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
What are your sources for this information?

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I don't know if you are in Canada or not, but at this time, there are are hundreds of thousands of temporary foreign workers today in Canada
The last stats are for 2017:
In 2017, there were about 550,000 temporary foreign workers in Canada, accounting for 2.9% of total employment.Jun 3, 2020

I am sure this year it's less, but not by much, since the exemption on valid working visas was there from the very beginning....

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Does this mean that being a spouse is an essential worker category, but being a niece isn't? : )
A niece falls into "vulnerable" category a lot more than spouses.....in my opinion. : )
...and I am sure, if the spouse is waiting for a visa, we are not repatriating anyone....
My point is: how does this list of "priorities" support your point ?

RushnTiger

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
IRCC and government of Canada website. In addition was on an embassy zoom thing and was able to ask one specific question (outlined earlier in this thread or another).

Sorry will try to provide more info later.
IRCC and Canadian Government are good sources, somehow you see things I never do...
The site with "priorities" that Passenger provided just proves my point, unless you are an essential worker (not Family Class), if you are vulnerable (a refugee being sponsored from a camp, an orphan from an orphanage and similar), which your spouses and my niece aren't, and if you are being repatriated, not the case for your spouses and my niece.
Unless there is another source for this info, I suggest you are not correct
I am majorly outnumbered here.....

passenger19

Feb 5, 2020
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Does this mean that being a spouse is an essential worker category, but being a niece isn't? : )
A niece falls into "vulnerable" category a lot more than spouses.....in my opinion. : )
...and I am sure, if the spouse is waiting for a visa, we are not repatriating anyone....
My point is: how does this list of "priorities" support your point ?
Spouses are Immediate family members, nieces aren’t, unfortunately. So she wouldn’t be able to land in Canada with COPR, now it’s only available for immediate family members and some exceptional applicants to be able to land as a PR. Probably they will change this rule in the near future.
UPD. Found this updated info:
You are exempt from the current travel restrictions and can come to Canada if you have a valid COPR and:

• the COPR was issued on or before March 18, 2020 OR
  • the COPR was issued after March 18th, 2020 and you are an immediate family membersponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (note that grandparents are not considered immediate family members and cannot come to Canada at this time) OR
  • you’re currently living in the U.S. and will be coming to Canada directly (transiting through the U.S. to Canada doesn’t apply)

You mentioned that you have daughters. I’m not familiar with the program “A Lonely Canadian”, but I thought you have to have no family to sponsor someone. I’m curious about how it actually works. Could you please explain? You can sponsor your niece because your daughters don’t live in Canada?

Last edited:

m.ford

Star Member
May 5, 2020
Hamilton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
15-11-2019
File Transfer...
06-12-2019
Med's Request
05-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
Passport Req..
26-08-2020
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2020
LANDED..........
09-05-2020
I mostly agree with you. I think most Russian cases on hold due some reasons. We just ordered notes so it would be interesting if any of those reasons were listed there. And also wanted to clarify that people from Ukraine have their own VACs and their files are being processed in London, not Warsaw. What actions can be taken? (Except waiting).

As I see they don't care if the applicant moves from Russia to the country where the VAC is open. It took me almost one month to get a confirmation from Warsaw that they had received my notification on changing my address from Russia to Canada. And I also told them that I'm staying in Canada and going to apply for the extension of my stay in Canada on TRV if needed until they give me Permanent Residence. But no reaction, no boost. They really don't care at all =(((