+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting on my open work permit, but my visitor status is about to expire!

kjoliver

Sep 6, 2018
Hi all,

I applied for my PR (family class-common law) and it was received May 24. I sent my Open Work Permit with the application. I'm currently on a visitor visa that ends on September 27 (aka 3 weeks away! eeeek) and I am yet to hear back about my work permit. I'm wondering if I can extend my visitor visa until my work permit arrives or do I need to leave Canada? I have previously applied to extend my visitor visa last year and it took about 3 months to go through so I'm worried I've left it too late to extend it.

Any thoughts on what I should do?
Please and thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi all,

I applied for my PR (family class-common law) and it was received May 24. I sent my Open Work Permit with the application. I'm currently on a visitor visa that ends on September 27 (aka 3 weeks away! eeeek) and I am yet to hear back about my work permit. I'm wondering if I can extend my visitor visa until my work permit arrives or do I need to leave Canada? I have previously applied to extend my visitor visa last year and it took about 3 months to go through so I'm worried I've left it too late to extend it.

Any thoughts on what I should do?
Please and thank you
1. Nothing, the inclusion of application for an open work permit with your PR application, gives you implied status until you received either the work permit or a refusal.

kjoliver

Sep 6, 2018
Hi

1. Nothing, the inclusion of application for an open work permit with your PR application, gives you implied status until you received either the work permit or a refusal.

That's a relief, thank you so much!
After I have received my open work permit, do you know if I am able to leave Canada to travel and come back while still waiting on my PR to be approved?