+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for PR, travelling into Canada

matt332131

Aug 4, 2013
I am a PR from visa exempt country currently waiting for my PR card. At this point I reside outside of Canada.

I have several job interviews lined up which are likely to force me to travel before I am able to receive my PR card.

Can I travel without my PR card? Given I am visa exempt I should not have a problem boarding the plane.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
matt332131 said:
Can I travel without my PR card? Given I am visa exempt I should not have a problem boarding the plane.
A visa-exempt passport will not allow you to board a plane to Canada. You will require a valid PR card or a PRTD.

D

David83

canuck_in_uk said:
A visa-exempt passport will not allow you to board a plane to Canada. You will require a valid PR card or a PRTD.
Why not? It's a visa-exempt passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
David83 said:
Why not? It's a visa-exempt passport.
But not eTA-exempt. As a PR, OP cannot obtain an eTA and therefore requires a valid PR card or PRTD to board a plane to Canada.

The other option is to fly to the US and cross the land border.

D

David83

I just read the details on CIC website. You are right. Thanks for the clarification.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
matt332131 said:
I am a PR from visa exempt country currently waiting for my PR card. At this point I reside outside of Canada.

I have several job interviews lined up which are likely to force me to travel before I am able to receive my PR card.

If your visa exemption is from the US, you do not need an eTA. If you live near the border, and the flying from the US is an option, you do not need an eTA to re-enter Canada at a land crossing.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp