+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vulnerable open Work Permit

maksimusf

Apr 30, 2022
Hi All.

I am on a Vulnerable Work permit and its going to expire soon.
I have been working remotely all the time for a company based outside Canada .
Originally we got the work permits for 2 years but the VOWP is for a year so my wife's OWP steel is valid.
Is it possible to extend based on my wife's OWP but she is not the principal applicant .
Or the only one option is to change it to a visitor visa. Is it possible ?

Thank you in advance.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Hi All.

I am on a Vulnerable Work permit and its going to expire soon.
I have been working remotely all the time for a company based outside Canada .
Originally we got the work permits for 2 years but the VOWP is for a year so my wife's OWP steel is valid.
Is it possible to extend based on my wife's OWP but she is not the principal applicant .
Or the only one option is to change it to a visitor visa. Is it possible ?

Thank you in advance.
You can't extend based on your wife's OWP because hers is actually tied to your initial Closed work permit.You need to get a job with an employer that will provide you with LMIA. If you get a visitor visa you can remain in Canada but will be unable to work.

Reactions: scylla

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Hi all,
My VOWP will soon expire and I have not be able to get an employer with LMIA.my present employer said he wont get a positive LMIA if he applies as my job is a skilled job.

I have applied for PNP awaiting nomination which will come soon,my EE status is also CEC eligible.
If my VOWP expires can I continue to work as a volunteer with out payment with the same employer ?

I don't want a situation where IRCC will say I was working eith an expired permit.

If I can work can how will I present it in my PR application for employment history ? Will I display the break in paid employment or do I give an explanation in a letter of explanation
Will I say example
Company A
Jan 2022 - May 2023
June 2023 - present

Please advise the best way.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,
My VOWP will soon expire and I have not be able to get an employer with LMIA.my present employer said he wont get a positive LMIA if he applies as my job is a skilled job.

I have applied for PNP awaiting nomination which will come soon,my EE status is also CEC eligible.
If my VOWP expires can I continue to work as a volunteer with out payment with the same employer ?

I don't want a situation where IRCC will say I was working eith an expired permit.

If I can work can how will I present it in my PR application for employment history ? Will I display the break in paid employment or do I give an explanation in a letter of explanation
Will I say example
Company A
Jan 2022 - May 2023
June 2023 - present

Please advise the best way.
If your VOWP expires, you stop working and change status to visit. You cannot work as a volunteer for the same employer. The volunteer position must be a position that has never been done by a salaried employee. If volunteering for your same job, you would still need a work permit. So your employer must prove that it is a volunteer position.

What is our CRS score? What PNP are you expecting a nomination and for what stream?

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
If your VOWP expires, you stop working and change status to visit. You cannot work as a volunteer for the same employer. The volunteer position must be a position that has never been done by a salaried employee. If volunteering for your same job, you would still need a work permit. So your employer must prove that it is a volunteer position.

What is our CRS score? What PNP are you expecting a nomination and for what stream?
Must I apply for visitor visa?
The visa that was granted to me for my closed work permit with my initial employer before I was vulnerable is valid till 2024.I was believing I can remain in Canada based on that visa validity, so wanting to know how that works.
CRS is 399 , pnp - Manitoba, skill worker in Manitoba stream.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Must I apply for visitor visa?
The visa that was granted to me for my closed work permit with my initial employer before I was vulnerable is valid till 2024.I was believing I can remain in Canada based on that visa validity, so wanting to know how that works.
CRS is 399 , pnp - Manitoba, skill worker in Manitoba stream.
You can change your status to visitor. Unfortunately CRS score is too low for Express Entry. For Manitoba skilled work in Manitoba stream, you need a valid work permit to be eligible.

To apply to the Skilled Worker in Manitoba (SWM) pathway, you must demonstrate ongoing Manitoba employment as your established connection to Manitoba.

Ongoing Manitoba employment means that you possess a valid work permit and a Manitoba company has offered you a long-term, full-time job after you have completed at least six months (continuous) full-time employment with that company as a temporary foreign worker or international student working graduate.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
You can change your status to visitor. Unfortunately CRS score is too low for Express Entry. For Manitoba skilled work in Manitoba stream, you need a valid work permit to be eligible.

To apply to the Skilled Worker in Manitoba (SWM) pathway, you must demonstrate ongoing Manitoba employment as your established connection to Manitoba.

Ongoing Manitoba employment means that you possess a valid work permit and a Manitoba company has offered you a long-term, full-time job after you have completed at least six months (continuous) full-time employment with that company as a temporary foreign worker or international student working graduate.
I have a full-time ongoing Manitoba employment that's why I was able to submit application after receiving LAA ( invitation to apply) from the manitoba government. Application process for nomination is ongoing

With that do I still need a visitor visa or
Will my visa which granted for my closed work permit which is valid till 2024 ok to allow me remain in Canada even though i cant work with it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a full-time ongoing Manitoba employment that's why I was able to submit application after receiving LAA ( invitation to apply) from the manitoba government. Application process for nomination is ongoing

With that do I still need a visitor visa or
Will my visa which granted for my closed work permit which is valid till 2024 ok to allow me remain in Canada even though i cant work with it?
You need to find you if your application is still eligible if you no longer have a valid work permit. You are supposed to notify a province if your circumstances have changed. You have yet to receive nomination. If you are no longer working for employer, and didn’t notify the government, it may be misrepresentation If the government finds out.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
You need to find you if your application is still eligible if you no longer have a valid work permit. You are supposed to notify a province if your circumstances have changed. You have yet to receive nomination. If you are no longer working for employer, and didn’t notify the government, it may be misrepresentation If the government finds out.
Thank you for the advise, will notify the government of the change if I don't get nomination before the work permit expires.

Please
With that do I still need a visitor visa to remain or will my visa which granted for my closed work permit which is valid till 2024 ok to allow me remain in Canada even though i cant work with it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the advise, will notify the government of the change if I don't get nomination before the work permit expires.

Please
With that do I still need a visitor visa to remain or will my visa which granted for my closed work permit which is valid till 2024 ok to allow me remain in Canada even though i cant work with it?
A TRV is to enter Canada. To remain in Canada legally if no longer a worker then you change your status from worker to visitor.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
A TRV is to enter Canada. To remain in Canada legally if no longer a worker then you change your status from worker to visitor.
Thank you
Do you know if visitor visa can be done via flagpoling?

If I cannot flagpole and I do an online application for visitor visa, will the online submission be categorised as maintained status?
As it may take a while for them to approve which may be after the present work permit has expired.
So was wondering what it will be like to allow me remain

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you
Do you know if visitor visa can be done via flagpoling?

If I cannot flagpole and I do an online application for visitor visa, will the online submission be categorised as maintained status?
As it may take a while for them to approve which may be after the present work permit has expired.
So was wondering what it will be like to allow me remain
You don’t need a TRV. A TRV is required to enter Canada. You are not leaving Canada. You are changing your status to visitor. If you leave Canada then yes you need a valid TRV to enter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
You don’t need a TRV. A TRV is required to enter Canada. You are not leaving Canada. You are changing your status to visitor. If you leave Canada then yes you need a valid TRV to enter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html
Thank you si much for this eye opener and guidance it really helps me on the path to go.
I read this from the link

If your current temporary resident status is still valid you can apply for an extension of your stay. For any permit, you should always apply at least 30 days before your current status expires. Your original temporary status as a visitor continues under the same conditions until your application is finalized and you have been notified of the decision.

From this I just want to know if I submit application to change status that I won't be deemed as illegal in Canada at some point between when my present work permit expires and when the visitor application is approved

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Good day,
If am presently working using VOWP and I get nomination from province can I flag pole at the border with the nomination letter ? If yes which kind of permit will I tell the CBSA officer that am applying for?

I am asking because pnp nomination will come soon and VOWP may expire before the next IRCC draw

Cindy123

Feb 23, 2023
How long does the VWOWP currently take to process? It has been two weeks since I submitted my application, and I haven't received any updates after receiving the confirmation email last week.