+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vulnerable open Work Permit

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How long does the VWOWP currently take to process? It has been two weeks since I submitted my application, and I haven't received any updates after receiving the confirmation email last week.
So sorry for your abuse…hope you are getting support and help. You got a response on May 15 on another of your posts that it takes a few days. How do you qualify?

Cindy123

Feb 23, 2023
So sorry for your abuse…hope you are getting support and help. You got a response on May 15 on another of your posts that it takes a few days. How do you qualify?
I feel anxious because I have already resigned and I'm waiting every day for the application result. The official website stated a processing time of 5 business days, but in reality, I have no idea how long I will have to wait.

Cindy123

Feb 23, 2023
I am being extorted by my employer, as they are demanding payment for a job offer letter required for my PR application. Additionally, my employer has not paid my salary for the month of April.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am being extorted by my employer, as they are demanding payment for a job offer letter required for my PR application. Additionally, my employer has not paid my salary for the month of April.
So hopefully, you have reported this to the provincial employment standards or labour branch. Your employer may be inspected too. Employer doesn’t have to support your PR so assume you have proof of that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Employer is not required to provide a letter or sponsor an employee for a WP or PR but they aren’t able to require payment except perhaps a small charge for the time to prepare documents for IRCC like most doctors charge for letters to immigration, CRA, etc. but that would be less than a hundred dollars.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All.

I am on a Vulnerable Work permit and its going to expire soon.
I have been working remotely all the time for a company based outside Canada .
Originally we got the work permits for 2 years but the VOWP is for a year so my wife's OWP steel is valid.
Is it possible to extend based on my wife's OWP but she is not the principal applicant .
Or the only one option is to change it to a visitor visa. Is it possible ?

Thank you in advance.
Have you been filing your taxes indicating your international income. Assume your employer has no offices in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,
My VOWP will soon expire and I have not be able to get an employer with LMIA.my present employer said he wont get a positive LMIA if he applies as my job is a skilled job.

I have applied for PNP awaiting nomination which will come soon,my EE status is also CEC eligible.
If my VOWP expires can I continue to work as a volunteer with out payment with the same employer ?

I don't want a situation where IRCC will say I was working eith an expired permit.

If I can work can how will I present it in my PR application for employment history ? Will I display the break in paid employment or do I give an explanation in a letter of explanation
Will I say example
Company A
Jan 2022 - May 2023
June 2023 - present

Please advise the best way.
You will not be able to continue working for your employer as a volunteer. One can only volunteer doing jobs that would never be paid for. You will be unemployed after June 2023 unless you find a way to secure a WP.

Cindy123

Feb 23, 2023
Employer is not required to provide a letter or sponsor an employee for a WP or PR but they aren’t able to require payment except perhaps a small charge for the time to prepare documents for IRCC like most doctors charge for letters to immigration, CRA, etc. but that would be less than a hundred dollars.
I was asked for $10000 for the employment letter . I was fired after I rejected him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was asked for $10000 for the employment letter . I was fired after I rejected him.
Clearly that isn’t my allowed. I hope you reported the employer to IRCC as well. I was just clarifying that a very small fee for extra work could be acceptable just like at a doctor’s office to compensate for extra work. That would definitely be under $100 though.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Angela2023

Star Member
Jun 3, 2023
Good afternoon everybody, I had closed work permit, I applied for the atlantic immigration program, the pr is in process, my work permit was for 2 years, until 2024, I worked 4 months with the company, I had many problems with my boss, I spoke with the owner and they fired me on may 25, I applied for Vulnerable open work permit on may 29, On may 30 I received a letter saying that my work permit is valid until september 2023. I have been looking for information online, and usually it takes around 1 or 2 months to receive an answer. I can not work, I am alone in Canada, I do not have money to continue paying rent.
My doubt is:

1. May I go to my country and wait for the answer there? Whenever they answer may I go back to Canada?

2. Because I saw information saying that to apply for the vulnerable open work permit I have to inside Canada, but it does not say that I have to wait for the answer in Canada.

3. I do not want the open permit to be rejected because I was not waiting in Canada.

Maybe someone knows please? If I can go to my country and go back while I wait for the vulnerable open work permit?

Angela2023

Star Member
Jun 3, 2023
Hello everybody, May I go to my country and wait for the answer for the vulnerable open work permit? Whenever they answer may I go back to Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everybody, May I go to my country and wait for the answer for the vulnerable open work permit? Whenever they answer may I go back to Canada?
Don’t know. The whole point of the VOWP is to show that you were abused financially, emotionally etc. in your job. If you leave then it shows that you don’t need to work in Canada, and that you can return to your home country and get a job. Do you have a TRV?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In my opinion the IRCC website does not provide clear information with regards to your question. If you want to leave, I would recommend getting a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

Don't bother calling the IRCC help desk / contact centre. This question is too complicated for them and you may get a wrong answer.

Good luck.

Angela2023

Star Member
Jun 3, 2023
Don’t know. The whole point of the VOWP is to show that you were abused financially, emotionally etc. in your job. If you leave then it shows that you don’t need to work in Canada, and that you can return to your home country and get a job. Do you have a TRV?
Thank you for your answer. The company fired me, I can not work because I had closed work permit, so I do not have money to pay rent. I have seen online that usually it takes 2 months to get an answer. I do not have money to pay rent 2 months without working, but I am worried that the open work permit will be rejected because I am not in Canada. I found it says to apply I need to be in Canada, I did not found: you need to wait in Canada for the answer

Angela2023

Star Member
Jun 3, 2023
In my opinion the IRCC website does not provide clear information with regards to your question. If you want to leave, I would recommend getting a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

Don't bother calling the IRCC help desk / contact centre. This question is too complicated for them and you may get a wrong answer.

Good luck.
Thank you for your answer, I have closed work permit for 2 years, I have visa for 2 years, so I can go and come back, maybe 1 month, and then come back to continue waiting for the answer?