+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vulnerable open Work Permit

Saini_2012

Mar 12, 2020
Mine got rejected. Got the email today. The reason was "You were not able to demonstrate that you are experiencing abuse or are at risk of abuse
in the context of your employment, per subsection R207.1(1)." despite me explaining in the form that the company immediately cut off all my access to email, and chat and I was not able to save any proof of conversations.
What?? So sorry to hear that.
What options are you left with now ?

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Hi All,
If one applies for VOWP and IRCC approves it, normally the validity of the Open work permit is for 1 year . What will happen after the 1 year expires? As IRCC website says the VOWP can not be renewed. Can the work permit be extended? If yes , is the new employer that must support the application? Must it be LMIA process, or just a candidate applying for work permit extension using a valid job offer . Or advise on the correct way it works please.
Thank you.

Hus85

Sep 16, 2017
Hi there,
Friend of mine applied for VOWP yesterday. Received an automated letter saying that the current work permit has been extended till march 2023 and he is expected to continue working with same employer and profession. He has been terminated. I believe this letter doesn't allow him to find and work with an other employer untill the decision has made.
Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,
Friend of mine applied for VOWP yesterday. Received an automated letter saying that the current work permit has been extended till march 2023 and he is expected to continue working with same employer and profession. He has been terminated. I believe this letter doesn't allow him to find and work with an other employer untill the decision has made.
Please advise.
Correct. He needs to wait for the VOWP to be approved before he can work for another employer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. Any idea how long does it take generally now a days? And what's a duration of the work permit.
I think processing is generally taking a few months these days. I don't know the duration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Processing takes maximum of 7 -10 working days.they treat fast as its a vulnerable case.Duration is always 1 year maximum.
It's great to hear that some are processed that quickly. However this isn't true in all cases. I know someone personally who applied in July and was only approved now (last week). But it sounds like she must be an exception.

Hus85

Sep 16, 2017
It's great to hear that some are processed that quickly. However this isn't true in all cases. I know someone personally who applied in July and was only approved now (last week). But it sounds like she must be an exception.
So my friend received a acknowledgement letter saying that they are reviewing the application and they will call if needed from IRCC block number. The online status is under review now. Not sure what this letter means in term of processing time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So my friend received a acknowledgement letter saying that they are reviewing the application and they will call if needed from IRCC block number. The online status is under review now. Not sure what this letter means in term of processing time.
Don’t think anyone can really anticipate how long it will take. will be somewhat case dependent.

Hus85

Sep 16, 2017
Hi,
My friend's application has been approved in 3 working days. Duration is 1 year.
Those who has received this WP, i have few questions.
1. The online application is saying approved but we didn't receive any document and letter. How did you get a work permit? Employer need a document saying authorize to work with any employer etc.
2. I had submitted my pr file to federal based on my previous employer nomination. I haven't received a file number yet. What am I suppose to do with pr file?
3. Do you have any restriction in profession on this work permit?
Please advise.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Hi all, can a person who has VOWP (usually valid for 1 year) do flag poling at the border to extend work permit? If yes when is the best time to do it.
4,3,2 or 1 month before expiration?
As VOWP work permit states you must leave Canada on the expiry date.
Thanks

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Please if one is on VOWP, can the person extend the open work permit?
What are the options? Given the situation
Had a closed work permit valid till 2024
Received an open work permit (VOWP) in 2022 valid until 2023.
Presently working for a new company using the VOWP.

Can the open work permit be renewed or extended?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Please if one is on VOWP, can the person extend the open work permit?
What are the options? Given the situation
Had a closed work permit valid till 2024
Received an open work permit (VOWP) in 2022 valid until 2023.
Presently working for a new company using the VOWP.

Can the open work permit be renewed or extended?
No - they cannot be extended or renewed. The expectation is that this is a temporary solution only to provide you with time to find a new employer who can provide you with a job offer / approved LMIA so that you can switch back to a closed work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html

This work permit helps protect your rights as a worker in Canada by helping you leave an abusive situation to find a new job. However, it’s a temporary solution and:
  • has an expiry date, and
  • can’t be renewed
If you’re approved for this work permit, it should give you enough time to find a new employer and apply for a new work permit. You must apply for another work permit before this one expires if you want to stay and work in Canada.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Thank you.
In applying for a new work permit and already having a job which the employer offered based on the open work permit (vowp) must the employer still do and provide me with LMIA or exempted since I already have a job offer and working?
No - they cannot be extended or renewed. The expectation is that this is a temporary solution only to provide you with time to find a new employer who can provide you with a job offer / approved LMIA so that you can switch back to a closed work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/vulnerable-workers.html

This work permit helps protect your rights as a worker in Canada by helping you leave an abusive situation to find a new job. However, it’s a temporary solution and:
  • has an expiry date, and
  • can’t be renewed
If you’re approved for this work permit, it should give you enough time to find a new employer and apply for a new work permit. You must apply for another work permit before this one expires if you want to stay and work in Canada.