28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.
In applying for a new work permit and already having a job which the employer offered based on the open work permit (vowp) must the employer still do and provide me with LMIA or exempted since I already have a job offer and working?
The VOWP does not make you exempt from an LMIA. Whether you are LMIA exempt or not depends on the job / occupation. Generally speaking, an LMIA is required.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
So if present employer does not want to be involved in LMIA process ,I have to look for work with another employer willing to do LMIA?

Can flag poling work for a new work permit?
The VOWP does not make you exempt from an LMIA. Whether you are LMIA exempt or not depends on the job / occupation. Generally speaking, an LMIA is required.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So if present employer does not want to be involved in LMIA process ,I have to look for work with another employer willing to do LMIA?

Can flag poling work for a new work permit?
Yes, you would need to find an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process (assuming your job / occupation is not LMIA exempt).

If you have an approved LMIA and a job offer, then you can flagpole.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Please since am in Canada and working ,in applying for the closed work permit will I also need the proof of funds as like from outside Canada?
NOC with present employer is 2263 ,worked only few months with the , not sure if it is categorized under LMIA exempt.
Yes, you would need to find an employer who is willing to go through the LMIA process (assuming your job / occupation is not LMIA exempt).

If you have an approved LMIA and a job offer, then you can flagpole.

Last edited:

Dmora12

Mar 12, 2021
Hello! I’m writing because I have a couple of questions. I applied for a VWOWP a week ago, after 2 days I got a call from IRCC the agent said my application will be approved and asked a couple of questions about my workplace and confirming address, she said I should get some news on Monday (this last Monday), but I haven’t had any news after that, does anybody can give me some insight? I quit my job because the agent said it would be the best choice, I already found another job. But I was wondering if I need to wait until I get the permit to start working, and the thing is my budget is getting low, I’m kind of worried. Thank you in advanced!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello! I’m writing because I have a couple of questions. I applied for a VWOWP a week ago, after 2 days I got a call from IRCC the agent said my application will be approved and asked a couple of questions about my workplace and confirming address, she said I should get some news on Monday (this last Monday), but I haven’t had any news after that, does anybody can give me some insight? I quit my job because the agent said it would be the best choice, I already found another job. But I was wondering if I need to wait until I get the permit to start working, and the thing is my budget is getting low, I’m kind of worried. Thank you in advanced!
Which agent told you to quit the job?? The IRCC one? As far as I know even if all the stages are passed it is quite rare that IRCC doesn't promise any fixed deadline, I am wondering about the agent in question? Are you sure it was IRCC? In this forum there are lot of people who after passing all stages and upon reaching IRCC they get an answer of not expecting any fixed timeline. But I may be wrong.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Yes you have to wait for IRCC to get a new permit (Vulnerable worker open work permit) before you start a new job.
Starting a new jib is against the law as your closed work permit ties you to only your previous employer.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Just to ask , for someone who has VOWP, and has not got any employer ready to apply for LMIA before the 1 year when the VOWP expires what will happen?

Dmora12

Mar 12, 2021
Which agent told you to quit the job?? The IRCC one? As far as I know even if all the stages are passed it is quite rare that IRCC doesn't promise any fixed deadline, I am wondering about the agent in question? Are you sure it was IRCC? In this forum there are lot of people who after passing all stages and upon reaching IRCC they get an answer of not expecting any fixed timeline. But I may be wrong.
She didn’t tell me to quit, I asked if I could quit while I’m waiting forthe work permit and she said yes. But I mean, it was a call from a private number number and she presented as an IRCC agent regarding my open work permit request, that’s what she said in the beginning of the call. I probably understood wrong about Monday date, but she mention she will approve my request. And I got some ghost updates before the call. Should I tried to reach IRCC?

EDIT: I just got the físicas copy of mywork permit, but thank you for your answer

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you have to wait for IRCC to get a new permit (Vulnerable worker open work permit) before you start a new job.
Starting a new jib is against the law as your closed work permit ties you to only your previous employer.
Just to ask , for someone who has VOWP, and has not got any employer ready to apply for LMIA before the 1 year when the VOWP expires what will happen?
VOWP is only meant to get the individual out of the abusive closed work permit and be short term permit where where the individual to work to save some money to repay any debts they accrued while often not being paid properly and often not on time by their ewprevious employer, save enough money to return home or pay for their next IRCC application, etc. If you aren’t able to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process or qualify for another PR or temporary permit you either have to try and remain as a visitor if you show that you have enough funds to support yourself without working or you’ll have to return home. Based on devious posts you seem to have been on PGWP when you applied for the vulnerable person work permit but had run out options as to how to remain in Canada when your PGWP ended. If that is your background I am quite surprised the application was approved. Being on an OWP where your stay is not tied to your employer would allow you to leave the job without worrying about your status in Canada. The vulnerable work permit program is almost not meant to be used to extend your status from your OWP if you don’t qualify for other programs

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
She didn’t tell me to quit, I asked if I could quit while I’m waiting forthe work permit and she said yes. But I mean, it was a call from a private number number and she presented as an IRCC agent regarding my open work permit request, that’s what she said in the beginning of the call. I probably understood wrong about Monday date, but she mention she will approve my request. And I got some ghost updates before the call. Should I tried to reach IRCC?

EDIT: I just got the físicas copy of mywork permit, but thank you for your answer
No worries. Y

Yes wait for the work permit.

Sweetgurl

Jun 23, 2017
Thanks,
I was not on PGWP but rather on a closed work permit for a specific employer it was LMIA exempt because of french language result. Now got VOWP which will expire in few months time.Presently working ,present employer is yet to do anything positive for LMIA application, so I have not yet found an employer willing to do LMIA application, still looking for.

my initial visa and close work permit is valid until end of 2024 , but the current VOWP will expire in first quarter of 2023.
So want to know
1-if I don't get an employer with LMIA before the VOWP expires can I remain in Canada without working based in my initial closed work permit visa?OR I have to leave or apply for visitir visa from inside Canada.

Also,
I will be applying for PNP nomination in February 2023 as I will be eligible to apply by then .I know it may take some months before am nominated but by then the VOWP may or would have expired,that's why I want to know all options for me.
VOWP is only meant to get the individual out of the abusive closed work permit and be short term permit where where the individual to work to save some money to repay any debts they accrued while often not being paid properly and often not on time by their ewprevious employer, save enough money to return home or pay for their next IRCC application, etc. If you aren’t able to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process or qualify for another PR or temporary permit you either have to try and remain as a visitor if you show that you have enough funds to support yourself without working or you’ll have to return home. Based on devious posts you seem to have been on PGWP when you applied for the vulnerable person work permit but had run out options as to how to remain in Canada when your PGWP ended. If that is your background I am quite surprised the application was approved. Being on an OWP where your stay is not tied to your employer would allow you to leave the job without worrying about your status in Canada. The vulnerable work permit program is almost not meant to be used to extend your status from your OWP if you don’t qualify for other programs

Hus85

Sep 16, 2017
Is there anyone here whose PR application processed after VOWP? I was on close WP with employer who fired me. I have received the VOWP and I informed CIC too but they kept processing my application. I have passed the medical exam on Jan 13th 2023.

Glenb

Feb 10, 2023

How many days it took for you to get approved? Thank you