+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voluntarily informing officers for not meeting RO

ShareLearn

Sep 14, 2018
Hi,
My wife and young children live in Canada and are meeting their RO. I, on the other hand, have been traveling extensively to see them - about 6 to 8 times a year since they settled in June 2016, but I have not been able to meet my RO. Earlier this summer, I have voluntarily informed the border control agent that i have been unable to meet my RO, and have been referred to immigration at the airport. There, the immigration officer graciously let me in without writing form A44. I stayed in Canada for a couple of weeks, then left and returned in August, no questions asked.
My PRC is expiring in November. And I need to retain the ability to visit my family every 1-2 months. My concern is that if i was to Voluntarily Renounce my Residency overseas and simultaneously apply for a temporary resident visa the whole process may take anywhere between 90 and 120 days (from what I have heard and read) - and I simply cannot wait that long.
So instead, I am considering traveling to Canada within the coming weeks (before my PRC expires), re-approach Immigration and re-inform them that I have been unable to meet my RO (of course they could suspect that anyway before I actually state it) - but my questions on the matter are:
- Are there other solutions (such as Temporary Resident Permit - or even Visa) that could be issued at the POE?
- Is it possible for officers at the POE to extend PR cards - for one year for example?
- Can I ask to be issued a departure order, and state that I will not appeal, and that I will subsequently relinquish my PRC? And if that is case, what should I expect? Would I immediately cease to be a PR and therefore be able to immediately apply for a temp resident visa overseas upon accepting the departure order and leaving within 30 days and informing an agent about my departure? Or would I still need to wait long for the minister's delegate to approve and issue a removal order?

In summary, my PRC is expiring soon, I have not met my RO, and I need to narrow the inability-to-travel gap to a minimum. Please note that at this stage, I cannot remain in Canada for longer than one or two weeks at a time.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
My wife and young children live in Canada and are meeting their RO. I, on the other hand, have been traveling extensively to see them - about 6 to 8 times a year since they settled in June 2016, but I have not been able to meet my RO. Earlier this summer, I have voluntarily informed the border control agent that i have been unable to meet my RO, and have been referred to immigration at the airport. There, the immigration officer graciously let me in without writing form A44. I stayed in Canada for a couple of weeks, then left and returned in August, no questions asked.
My PRC is expiring in November. And I need to retain the ability to visit my family every 1-2 months. My concern is that if i was to Voluntarily Renounce my Residency overseas and simultaneously apply for a temporary resident visa the whole process may take anywhere between 90 and 120 days (from what I have heard and read) - and I simply cannot wait that long.
So instead, I am considering traveling to Canada within the coming weeks (before my PRC expires), re-approach Immigration and re-inform them that I have been unable to meet my RO (of course they could suspect that anyway before I actually state it) - but my questions on the matter are:
- Are there other solutions (such as Temporary Resident Permit - or even Visa) that could be issued at the POE?
- Is it possible for officers at the POE to extend PR cards - for one year for example?
- Can I ask to be issued a departure order, and state that I will not appeal, and that I will subsequently relinquish my PRC? And if that is case, what should I expect? Would I immediately cease to be a PR and therefore be able to immediately apply for a temp resident visa overseas upon accepting the departure order and leaving within 30 days and informing an agent about my departure? Or would I still need to wait long for the minister's delegate to approve and issue a removal order?

In summary, my PRC is expiring soon, I have not met my RO, and I need to narrow the inability-to-travel gap to a minimum. Please note that at this stage, I cannot remain in Canada for longer than one or two weeks at a time.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
CBSA and IRCC take a very negative view of the PR card just being used as a "Visitor Visa". Sooner or later your luck will run out and you will be reported. You obviously have no intention of being a Canadian resident, so renouncing your PR status probably makes more sense than fighting the renewal. As soon as your PR status officially is lost, you will be able to apply for a multiple entry TRV.

ShareLearn

Sep 14, 2018
CBSA and IRCC take a very negative view of the PR card just being used as a "Visitor Visa". Sooner or later your luck will run out and you will be reported. You obviously have no intention of being a Canadian resident, so renouncing your PR status probably makes more sense than fighting the renewal. As soon as your PR status officially is lost, you will be able to apply for a multiple entry TRV.
Thank you for your reply zardoz;
How long do you think it will take for my PR status to be officially lost after surrendering my PRC at the airport on my way out of Canada. In other words, what would be the duration gap between accepting and abiding by removal order and loss of status in order to apply for TRV at a Canadian embassy overseas.
Thank you

ShareLearn

Sep 14, 2018
There is no guarantee you will be granted a TRV given your ties to Canada.
Thank you for your time canuck78,
Are you suggesting that BECAUSE of my ties, my chances are slimmer to get at TRV, i.e.: is the fact that my family resides in Canada a negative factor for me to be granted a TRV?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Are you suggesting that BECAUSE of my ties, my chances are slimmer to get at TRV, i.e.: is the fact that my family resides in Canada a negative factor for me to be granted a TRV?
TRV is for visitor. You need to show strong tie to your home country. Your family in Canada is doing the opposite.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
How long do you think it will take for my PR status to be officially lost after surrendering my PRC at the airport on my way out of Canada. In other words, what would be the duration gap between accepting and abiding by removal order and loss of status in order to apply for TRV at a Canadian embassy overseas.
Thank you
Maybe a few weeks? I don't think that it would be instant.
The one thing in your favour for a TRV is the fact that you are unable to meet the residency obligation requirements. This tends to indicate that you are not an overstay risk.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur in the observations by @zardoz

As I have observed elsewhere, an individual who has lost or surrendered PR status due to not complying with the PR Residency Obligation actually has good or very good odds of being granted visitor status notwithstanding extensive ties in Canada including immediate family. And this is especially so if the individual has a track record of coming and leaving Canada.

Suggestions to the contrary are probably influenced by the situation for Foreign Nationals with NO history of Canadian immigration or travel to Canada, for whom it can indeed be difficult to obtain a temporary status visa to Canada largely due to the perceived risk they will overstay or otherwise fail to comply with the rules governing visitors.

Those individuals with an actual history of travel to Canada, and especially those whose travel history shows a track record of coming to VISIT and not staying, are FAR FAR LESS a risk for overstaying.

REMINDER: losing PR status due to inability to meet the PR RO generally has NO negative impact on the individual's future immigration or travel to Canada . . . and indeed, as in regards to qualifying for visitor or other temporary status, it tends to be a POSITIVE.

ShareLearn

Sep 14, 2018
Maybe a few weeks? I don't think that it would be instant.
The one thing in your favour for a TRV is the fact that you are unable to meet the residency obligation requirements. This tends to indicate that you are not an overstay risk.
I have read in the guidelines that upon voluntary renunciation of PR, i may be allowed in as a foreign national and to stay in Canada for a period not exceeding 6 months; wouldn't this suggest, that I would then by definition cease to be a permanent resident as i probably cannot retain two different status at the same time? Also, wouldn't this be a kin to being granted a TRV at the POE?
Thank you

ShareLearn

Sep 14, 2018
I concur in the observations by @zardoz

As I have observed elsewhere, an individual who has lost or surrendered PR status due to not complying with the PR Residency Obligation actually has good or very good odds of being granted visitor status notwithstanding extensive ties in Canada including immediate family. And this is especially so if the individual has a track record of coming and leaving Canada.

Suggestions to the contrary are probably influenced by the situation for Foreign Nationals with NO history of Canadian immigration or travel to Canada, for whom it can indeed be difficult to obtain a temporary status visa to Canada largely due to the perceived risk they will overstay or otherwise fail to comply with the rules governing visitors.

Those individuals with an actual history of travel to Canada, and especially those whose travel history shows a track record of coming to VISIT and not staying, are FAR FAR LESS a risk for overstaying.

REMINDER: losing PR status due to inability to meet the PR RO generally has NO negative impact on the individual's future immigration or travel to Canada . . . and indeed, as in regards to qualifying for visitor or other temporary status, it tends to be a POSITIVE.
As I highlighted elsewhere, I cannot thank you enough for clarifying the situation despite you not being an "expert".
I am aware that nothing is guaranteed, and in this case (much like in almost all other cases) being honest with IRCC would hopefully prove the best course of action.
Many thanks for your time and thoughts on this.