+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa

sum4141s

Mar 22, 2021
Toronto
Hi there, I’m studying for the EPE exam and a little confused about TRV.

I don’t understand why they issue a visitor visa (6 months) instead of a visitor record for the first-time study or work permit applicant? This sounds very inconvenient for foreign nationals. Does every international student initially need to apply for a visitor visa extension or visitor record after six months?

Also, if an ESL student in a language program less than six months with no study permit wants to extend her ESL study at a language center, does the student eligible to apply for a study permit inside Canada, or does the student need to apply outside of Canada and re-enter?

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Visitor visas are tied to a study permit and usually have the same date of expiry. If in Canada, you extend both at the same time.

are you in Canada now? Courses under 6 months now require a study permit.

sum4141s

Mar 22, 2021
Toronto
Visitor visas are tied to a study permit and usually have the same date of expiry. If in Canada, you extend both at the same time.

are you in Canada now? Courses under 6 months now require a study permit.
Hi, thank you for the input. I'm just trying to understand different types of TRVs.

You've mentioned that the visitor visas that are tied to a study permit usually have the same expiry date, is that mean every international student need to apply for a visitor visa and study permit extension after the first six months of initial entry since a visitor visa has a max duration of 6 months?

Also, do you know what is the difference between a visitor visa renewal and extension and when each type is appropriate?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, thank you for the input. I'm just trying to understand different types of TRVs.

You've mentioned that the visitor visas that are tied to a study permit usually have the same expiry date, is that mean every international student need to apply for a visitor visa and study permit extension after the first six months of initial entry since a visitor visa has a max duration of 6 months?

Also, do you know what is the difference between a visitor visa renewal and extension and when each type is appropriate?
If a student has a study and visitor visa, these permits may not expire for a year or two depending on the length of the program. A visitor visa of 6 months are for visitors not students. Students will have a TRV issued most times for the length of the study permit. However right now because of Covid, some students are entering and there permits may expire within the next 4-8 months. Within 8 weeks of expiry, a student applies for an extension of both permits. A renewal and extension are the same thing I believe but you have to be in Canada to do that.

Reactions: sum4141s

sum4141s

Mar 22, 2021
Toronto
Oh ok, I was confused because I thought every TRV had a max duration of 6 months, regardless of whether they have a student and work permit. Thanks !