+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa with an open work permit

dan89

Jun 22, 2014
Hello all,

My wife just got her open work permit approved, and she has been in Canada for almost 5 months on her visitor visa (valid until 2017), my question is does she need to do anything more regarding her visa at this point? The reason I ask is that I am also a work permit holder and my temporary resident visa says "worker" while hers says "visitor", does this distinction matter?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
dan89 said:
My wife just got her open work permit approved, and she has been in Canada for almost 5 months on her visitor visa (valid until 2017), my question is does she need to do anything more regarding her visa at this point? The reason I ask is that I am also a work permit holder and my temporary resident visa says "worker" while hers says "visitor", does this distinction matter?
There is no such thing as a visitor visa.

You are asking about two different things. Her visitor status got removed when she got her work permit, now she has a worker status valid until the expiry date of the WP or until she leaves Canada (whichever first). The category of the TRV is irrelevant at this point in time and for the lifetime of the TRV.

dan89

Jun 22, 2014
Thanks for your reply Jalex.

I am pretty sure there is such a thing called "Visitor Visa" (it is defined in CIC's glossary page, and used in many places in their website), that's what she applied for six months ago and that's what's added to her passport page.

I was not asking about two different things though, I was asking specifically if the category of her TRV (which is visitor at the moment) is relevant or not once she gets her work permit, and based on your answer it is no longer relevant.

now she has a worker status valid until the expiry date of the WP or until she leaves Canada (whichever first).
However, would you mind elaborating on what you mean by "until she leaves Canada"? "Leave" as in "leave permanently"? Otherwise she should be able to come and go as she pleases as long as her work permit is valid.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
dan89 said:
I am pretty sure there is such a thing called "Visitor Visa"
No, there isn't.

Visitor visa: Informal term for a temporary resident visa.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#v

dan89 said:
However, would you mind elaborating on what you mean by "until she leaves Canada"? "Leave" as in "leave permanently"? Otherwise she should be able to come and go as she pleases as long as her work permit is valid.
There is no room for interpretation in the word "leave", leave means step out of Canada.

No, the WP says at the bottom "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY" that means that the WP allows you to work in Canada once you have been allowed into Canada. At re-entry you will be assessed by a CBSA officer who will grant (or not) entry to Canada. For this you will need to have a valid TRV, the WP is irrelevant at this point of the process.

dan89

Jun 22, 2014
No, there isn't.

Visitor visa: Informal term for a temporary resident visa.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#v
It is an informal term but it is commonly used and understood, to me it is definitely a "thing". But if you like to stick to the formal terms that's fine.

Jalex23 said:
No, the WP says at the bottom "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY" that means that the WP allows you to work in Canada once you have been allowed into Canada. At re-entry you will be assessed by a CBSA officer who will grant (or not) entry to Canada. For this you will need to have a valid TRV, the WP is irrelevant at this point of the process.
Sure, work permit does not authorize re-entry, nobody said it does.

now she has a worker status valid until the expiry date of the WP or until she leaves Canada (whichever first).
But here you were saying if she leaves Canada before her work permit expires her work status will no longer be valid, which I don't think is true. As I mentioned I am a work permit holder myself and I go back to my home country at least once a year, and my work status remains valid. Granted English is not my first language so my interpretation may be wrong, I will apologize if that's the case.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
dan89 said:
It is an informal term but it is commonly used and understood, to me it is definitely a "thing". But if you like to stick to the formal terms that's fine.
We have to stay formal... or would you like me to give you "informal" advise giving "informal" terms?

dan89 said:
Sure, work permit does not authorize re-entry, nobody said it does.
You did: "Otherwise she should be able to come and go as she pleases as long as her work permit is valid."

Saying that implies that the WP is somehow relevant in her admission to Canada, which it isn't. For example, if she has a valid WP but an expired TRV she would be rejected at the border.

dan89 said:
But here you were saying if she leaves Canada before her work permit expires her work status will no longer be valid, which I don't think is true. As I mentioned I am a work permit holder myself and I go back to my home country at least once a year, and my work status remains valid.
Your and her "work status" expires each time you leave Canada, and it gets renewed by the CBSA officer on re-entry.

As I mentioned before you are mixing terms (and thus you should not stick to the "informal" visitor visa thing, which just causes confusion). The WORK PERMIT remains valid for the length of its life regardless on whether you travel or not. The status expires each time you leave the country and it is given again each time you enter Canada and the CBSA officer assess you. When you return to Canada the CBSA officer decides if you qualify for a worker status (valid WP) or for a visitor status (no valid WP and valid TRV).

dan89 said:
Granted English is not my first language so my interpretation may be wrong, I will apologize if that's the case.
I see no problem with your English. It is quite good.

speakvishal

Star Member
Aug 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 12, 2013
AOR Received.
Dec 20, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with original documents
Med's Request
Jul 24, 2014
Med's Done....
Aug 29, 2014
Passport Req..
Nov 17, 2014 (Photos requested on DEC 04, 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
DEC 03, 2014 (PP received on DEC 18, 2014)
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2015 <b>PR card received on Mar 23, 2015</b>
@ dan89

before I provide my opinion, here is what I understood from your first comment:

You have a WP. Your wife arrived as visitor and applied for OWP which she got, but you are concerned because visa on your pspt says worker and hers says visitor.

If my understanding is correct then you don't have to worry about anything. I was in exactly same situation before we got our PR.

If visa on your wife's pspt (that says visitor) is a multiple entry visa and she leaves Canada and wants to re-enter before visa expiry date then there shouldn't be any problem. I believe, she must have received her visa and OWP with the end date same as on your WP. Nothing will happen to her work status if she leaves Canada and comes back before her visa expires.

dan89

Jun 22, 2014
Hey Jalex,

You have made very good points regarding work status, work permit and trv, indeed I got some terms mixed up and some of my comments are not as well thought out as I wanted. I appreciate your taking the time answering my questions and clearing things up for me (also for all the forum members).

Please keep up with your good work.

Thanks,
Dan

@ dan89

before I provide my opinion, here is what I understood from your first comment:

You have a WP. Your wife arrived as visitor and applied for OWP which she got, but you are concerned because visa on your pspt says worker and hers says visitor.

If my understanding is correct then you don't have to worry about anything. I was in exactly same situation before we got our PR.

If visa on your wife's pspt (that says visitor) is a multiple entry visa and she leaves Canada and wants to re-enter before visa expiry date then there shouldn't be any problem. I believe, she must have received her visa and OWP with the end date same as on your WP. Nothing will happen to her work status if she leaves Canada and comes back before her visa expires.
Hi speakvishal,

You understood perfectly, that's exactly my situation! Thanks for the confirmation from your own experience.

hemanth7107

Oct 10, 2016
Hi All,

My wife is on a Multiple-entry VISITOR visa. We recently received her Open-Work Permit and have not renewed her Visa status to WORKER Visa. We are travelling to India this month and don't have time to renew it now.
Can she gain a re-entry with her existing Multiple entry VISITOR Visa and a valid Open work permit? Or does the VISITOR Visa expire upon issuance of Open Work permit? Meaning she cannot enter without WORKER visa and Open work permit. Please help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

My wife is on a Multiple-entry VISITOR visa. We recently received her Open-Work Permit and have not renewed her Visa status to WORKER Visa. We are travelling to India this month and don't have time to renew it now.
Can she gain a re-entry with her existing Multiple entry VISITOR Visa and a valid Open work permit? Or does the VISITOR Visa expire upon issuance of Open Work permit? Meaning she cannot enter without WORKER visa and Open work permit. Please help.
A TRV is a TRV. It doesn't matter if it says visitor or worker and it is valid until it expires.

lewisemokaro

Apr 12, 2017
An Open work permit does not change your Status as a visitor.You are still a visitor.
As a multiple entry visa holder with an open work permit,you are allowed to work for as long as your Visa permits you to stay in the country,
If you travel outside Canada within the six months period,the Open Work Permit becomes immediately useless unless you reapply when you enter Canada again.
We all know the difference between an Open work permit and Work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
An Open work permit does not change your Status as a visitor.You are still a visitor.
As a multiple entry visa holder with an open work permit,you are allowed to work for as long as your Visa permits you to stay in the country,
If you travel outside Canada within the six months period,the Open Work Permit becomes immediately useless unless you reapply when you enter Canada again.
We all know the difference between an Open work permit and Work permit.
Completely wrong. Apparently you don't know as much as you thought.

Reactions: gta88

Tonima

Star Member
Aug 22, 2017
Very confused here with all the discussion.
I got my owp yesterday, my pp stamp says visitor visa. So do i not need to change the pp stamp. Does my owp suffice my status?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Very confused here with all the discussion.
I got my owp yesterday, my pp stamp says visitor visa. So do i not need to change the pp stamp. Does my owp suffice my status?
It doesn't matter if your TRV says visitor. All that matters is that it is valid.