+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Refused. Reasons Not Valid.

Mr_Blue

Sep 15, 2018
Toronto
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
App. Filed.......
04-09-2018
I’m hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience and found a solution, because none of this makes any sense. I’m going down to Ecuador on Sept 22nd (next Saturday) until Oct 1st, to see my girlfriend and meet her family. I bought a ticket for her to return with me on Oct 1st and stay until the 9th (only 8 days). I didn’t realize when I purchased it that she needed a visa to come here, even to visit. So we did her application right away and submitted it with everything they asked for. She’s never traveled outside of Ecuador, has no family or friends in Canada, and I submitted documents saying that I would be financially supporting her for the duration of her stay—and proving that I had the means. Today, we got a refusal letter. It was very similar to the letters other ppl on here have received. It says that the reviewer was not satisfied that she would leave Canada at the end of her stay, based on her ‘travel history’, her ‘family ties in Canada and country of residence’ and her ‘personal assets & financial status’. Like I said, she has NO travel history, so that’s absolute bs; she has no family or friends in Canada (other than me), so that’s bs; and I was going to be supporting her financially for the duration of her stay here, so that’s also bs. She does, however, have a full time job as a store manager (we submitted a letter from her employer) and access to her own funds (she submitted a copy of her banking info/debit card). Not only that, but she is leaving her 3 young children in the care of a babysitter while here. So, all of this supports the fact that she WOULD be returning home on the 9th, yet—for some strange reason—the reviewer suspected the contrary. It shocks me that the immigration officer who reviewed her application actually thinks it is more likely that this single mother would abandon her kids (aged 10, 8 and 4), her home (which she owns) and her job than return to Ecuador on her already booked flight. I even sent a copy of her flight ticket, which cost me $1350 and is non-refundable. If she was planning to stay in Canada, she certainly wouldn’t have booked the trip for only 8 days, which she did because she’s never left her kids for more than one night before and was too worried about them to stay any longer. She would have taken advantage of the full 3 months allowed. If SHE was refused a visitor’s visa, I have no idea how anyone from countries for which we require a visa ever get approved to come here.

I called the immigration office and was told that it was processed by the Canadian visa centre in Bogota, Colombia, and I have to contact them directly to do anything, for which she gave me their email address. She mentioned that I could appeal the decision, but I don’t think there’s time for that. I’m leaving a week from today and she’s booked on the Oct 1st flight. I sent them an email yesterday, which of course was Friday, so the earliest I can hope to hear back from them is Monday, but that’s doubtful. With the amount of applications they’re processing, I can’t imagine they devote much time—or any at all—to responding to those who have already been refused. What I found most interesting, however, was the very last sentence of the refusal letter: “You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.” This is all about the money. It sounds to me like they’re basically saying ‘tell us why we’re wrong, give us another $100 and we’ll approve your application’. Refused applications should be accompanied by a refund of the application fee. It was also a hell of a lot of work. It took us almost a week just to fill everything out and get all of the required documentation. I don’t know, but if there is anyone out there who knows of a way to plough through this bureaucracy, I’d really appreciate it. For the record, I can’t afford to hire an immigration lawyer, so whatever it is I have to do, I’m doing it in my own.

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Travel history means the opposite of what you think, because she has not traveled before to western countries that require a visa this counts as a negative against her.

Unfortunately people leave their kids all the time to go abroad and then send some of their income home, plus if she manages to get some sort of legal status she can move her kids later.

The ticket is unfortunate, never buy those before getting a visa, I dont think you can resolve this before your flight.

You could try getting caips notes for more clarity but I think it will be tough for her.

Mr_Blue

Sep 15, 2018
Toronto
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
App. Filed.......
04-09-2018
Hi. This makes no sense. How can she travel to countries that require a visa if she cannot get a visa due to the fact that she hasn’t traveled to a country that requires them? That’s an impossible situation. Also, I have no idea what “caips notes” are. Could you please elaborate? Thanks.

Travel history means the opposite of what you think, because she has not traveled before to western countries that require a visa this counts as a negative against her.

Unfortunately people leave their kids all the time to go abroad and then send some of their income home, plus if she manages to get some sort of legal status she can move her kids later.

The ticket is unfortunate, never buy those before getting a visa, I dont think you can resolve this before your flight.

You could try getting caips notes for more clarity but I think it will be tough for her.

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi. This makes no sense. How can she travel to countries that require a visa if she cannot get a visa due to the fact that she hasn’t traveled to a country that requires them? That’s an impossible situation. Te lea Also, I have no idea what “caips notes” are. Could you please elaborate? Thanks.
Just because she cant get into Canada doesnt mean she cant get into the US, schengen zone etc she has to build her travel history.
Search the forums on caips notes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I’m hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience and found a solution, because none of this makes any sense. I’m going down to Ecuador on Sept 22nd (next Saturday) until Oct 1st, to see my girlfriend and meet her family. I bought a ticket for her to return with me on Oct 1st and stay until the 9th (only 8 days). I didn’t realize when I purchased it that she needed a visa to come here, even to visit. So we did her application right away and submitted it with everything they asked for. She’s never traveled outside of Ecuador, has no family or friends in Canada, and I submitted documents saying that I would be financially supporting her for the duration of her stay—and proving that I had the means. Today, we got a refusal letter. It was very similar to the letters other ppl on here have received. It says that the reviewer was not satisfied that she would leave Canada at the end of her stay, based on her ‘travel history’, her ‘family ties in Canada and country of residence’ and her ‘personal assets & financial status’. Like I said, she has NO travel history, so that’s absolute bs; she has no family or friends in Canada (other than me), so that’s bs; and I was going to be supporting her financially for the duration of her stay here, so that’s also bs. She does, however, have a full time job as a store manager (we submitted a letter from her employer) and access to her own funds (she submitted a copy of her banking info/debit card). Not only that, but she is leaving her 3 young children in the care of a babysitter while here. So, all of this supports the fact that she WOULD be returning home on the 9th, yet—for some strange reason—the reviewer suspected the contrary. It shocks me that the immigration officer who reviewed her application actually thinks it is more likely that this single mother would abandon her kids (aged 10, 8 and 4), her home (which she owns) and her job than return to Ecuador on her already booked flight. I even sent a copy of her flight ticket, which cost me $1350 and is non-refundable. If she was planning to stay in Canada, she certainly wouldn’t have booked the trip for only 8 days, which she did because she’s never left her kids for more than one night before and was too worried about them to stay any longer. She would have taken advantage of the full 3 months allowed. If SHE was refused a visitor’s visa, I have no idea how anyone from countries for which we require a visa ever get approved to come here.

I called the immigration office and was told that it was processed by the Canadian visa centre in Bogota, Colombia, and I have to contact them directly to do anything, for which she gave me their email address. She mentioned that I could appeal the decision, but I don’t think there’s time for that. I’m leaving a week from today and she’s booked on the Oct 1st flight. I sent them an email yesterday, which of course was Friday, so the earliest I can hope to hear back from them is Monday, but that’s doubtful. With the amount of applications they’re processing, I can’t imagine they devote much time—or any at all—to responding to those who have already been refused. What I found most interesting, however, was the very last sentence of the refusal letter: “You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.” This is all about the money. It sounds to me like they’re basically saying ‘tell us why we’re wrong, give us another $100 and we’ll approve your application’. Refused applications should be accompanied by a refund of the application fee. It was also a hell of a lot of work. It took us almost a week just to fill everything out and get all of the required documentation. I don’t know, but if there is anyone out there who knows of a way to plough through this bureaucracy, I’d really appreciate it. For the record, I can’t afford to hire an immigration lawyer, so whatever it is I have to do, I’m doing it in my own.

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.
You have completely misunderstood every refusal reason. Travel history is when people show that they have had visas to other developed countries and respected the terms of their stay; she was refused for having no travel history. You are the tie in Canada; IRCC generally considers the spouse/partner to be a very strong tie and therefore a reason to overstay. IRCC requires a person to show their own finances are sufficient for the trip.

What documents were submitted?

Mr_Blue

Sep 15, 2018
Toronto
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
App. Filed.......
04-09-2018
Yes, I understand the travel issue now. Someone else pointed it out. And like I said, it’s an impossible situation. She’s being refused entry for not having travelled to countries that require visas, which she cannot get because she hasn’t traveled to any of those countries. That’s ridiculous. Also, she has no reason to go to any other country. She’s coming to meet my family, as I intend on moving to Ecuador in a couple of years. Anyway, that’s beside the point. You’re wrong about a person having to show their finances are sufficient for the trip. There is a form a financial supporter (me) can fill out and submit with proof of my resources if I will be financially supporting her during her stay. She would be staying with me in my home for 8 days. How much do they think that’s going to cost? Anyway, I submitted all of that. However, she does work full time in a managerial position and submitted a letter from her employer and a copy of her bank account info/debit card. There is absolutely no reason to assume she would abandon her children, family, house and job to stay here in Canada where she has none of those things. All she has here is me. Her boyfriend. We’re not even engaged. Our immigration policies for short-term visitors are absolutely, upside-down, ridiculous. It’s the first time I’ve felt embarrassed by my country. I’ve always been proud to be Canadian, but at the moment, I’m feeling a little ashamed.

You have completely misunderstood every refusal reason. Travel history is when people show that they have had visas to other developed countries and respected the terms of their stay; she was refused for having no travel history. You are the tie in Canada; IRCC generally considers the spouse/partner to be a very strong tie and therefore a reason to overstay. IRCC requires a person to show their own finances are sufficient for the trip.

What documents were submitted?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, I understand the travel issue now. Someone else pointed it out. And like I said, it’s an impossible situation. She’s being refused entry for not having travelled to countries that require visas, which she cannot get because she hasn’t traveled to any of those countries. That’s ridiculous. Also, she has no reason to go to any other country. She’s coming to meet my family, as I intend on moving to Ecuador in a couple of years. Anyway, that’s beside the point. You’re wrong about a person having to show their finances are sufficient for the trip. There is a form a financial supporter (me) can fill out and submit with proof of my resources if I will be financially supporting her during her stay. She would be staying with me in my home for 8 days. How much do they think that’s going to cost? Anyway, I submitted all of that. However, she does work full time in a managerial position and submitted a letter from her employer and a copy of her bank account info/debit card. There is absolutely no reason to assume she would abandon her children, family, house and job to stay here in Canada where she has none of those things. All she has here is me. Her boyfriend. We’re not even engaged. Our immigration policies for short-term visitors are absolutely, upside-down, ridiculous. It’s the first time I’ve felt embarrassed by my country. I’ve always been proud to be Canadian, but at the moment, I’m feeling a little ashamed.
Hundreds of thousands of TRVs are approved, so it is not an impossible situation.

Yes, you can show your finances as support. However, the applicant must also show finances, as you cannot be held legally responsible for supporting her.

Again, what documents were submitted? Provide a list.

Reactions: scylla

Waldounited

Star Member
Jul 1, 2018
Dominican Republic
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
In this link you can find information about GCMS notes https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-order-gcms-notes-step-by-step-process.513893/

I was refused 2 times, in both refusals I got the “travel history” but travel history is not the main reasons, the reason was I didn’t prove my ties and responsibilities In home country.

she most prove her whole responsibilities in Ecuador, besides her kids she most prove if she has properties, a good salary that can support her. Is not a good idea going to Canada and depend from others I was advised from a immigration expert.

For the next time she will need more papers to let them thinking than she won't have no choice to go back in Ecuador. If she has some responsability like to pays electricity, internet or taxes and the bills are at hername. She can send t as a proof than she has many responsability in Ecuador and have to go back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As others have said, you can sponsor her trip but she still needs to show she has her own finances. Ideally she would finance her own trip - this would strengthen her application. If you tell us what documents she submitted as part of her application we may be able to suggest what else she should do if she reapplies. It sounds like she does have ties to her home country she can demonstrate - but her application may not have been put together well enough to get an approval. Not sure why you feel embarrassed by Canada. These processes are in place due to past visa abuses by those visiting Canada. That’s who you have to blame.