+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa processing timelines/approvals 2020-2021 for immediate family of PR/Temporary Resident

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Visitor Visa Canada
Application Date: 24 January 2021
Biometrics Completion date: 28 January 2021
Country of residence: Germany
Your relation: Husband of Temporary resident (Student)
Purpose of visit(Essential or non-essential): To stay with spouse
Approval date: 18 February 2021

Request for travel authorization Letter
Applied on 23 February 2021
My request was denied on the same day.
Reason for refusal:
Based on our assessment of the information you provided and the information in our system, we have not found that you meet the immediate family member exemption.
In particular:
  • you have not established that your reasons for travelling are non-discretionary or non-optional.
    • The travel restrictions apply to all travel of an optional or discretionary nature, such as tourism, entertainment or recreation.

Any suggestions on what should I do next, Can I apply again? Thanks

jeenu123

Star Member
Jun 20, 2019
BC
Category........
Visitor Visa Canada

Reason for refusal:
Based on our assessment of the information you provided and the information in our system, we have not found that you meet the immediate family member exemption.
In particular:
  • you have not established that your reasons for travelling are non-discretionary or non-optional.
    • The travel restrictions apply to all travel of an optional or discretionary nature, such as tourism, entertainment or recreation.

My mother in law invited by my husband(Temporary resident)was refused authorization giving same reason.
I am PR now. So, now I am going to invite her being a Permanent Resident which doesn’t require an authorization

Reactions: sandhu70

jeenu123

Star Member
Jun 20, 2019
BC
Category........
Visitor Visa Canada

Reason for refusal:
In particular:

I suggest you to go for dependent work visa. Student spouse gets work visa matching the duration of study permit. Even though you do not intend to work as cic is processing work applications in less than 3 months & issuing authorization as well as work is considered essential.
Visitor applications they only open & process if u send an email & they consider it essential.

Last edited:

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
I suggest you to go for dependent work visa. Student spouse gets work visa matching the duration of study permit. Even though you do not intend to work as cic is processing work applications in less than 3 months & issuing authorization as well as work is considered essential.
Visitor applications they only open & process if u send an email & they consider it essential.
Thanks for your suggestion. My wife will finish her study by next month and then apply for pgwp. So i am planning to apply for work permit once she has her pgwp. I dont think there is point in applying now as her studies end next month and it will take 2/3 months for dependent work permit.

Reactions: canuck78

jeenu123

Star Member
Jun 20, 2019
BC
Category........
Thanks for your suggestion. My wife will finish her study by next month and then apply for pgwp. So i am planning to apply for work permit once she has her pgwp. I dont think there is point in applying now as her studies end next month and it will take 2/3 months for dependent work permit.
In that case yes, you should wait until your wife gets one.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks. Does head cashier comes in NOC 0,A or B? When she will be on pgwp she will need to have NOC A B 0 job for me to apply spouse open work permit.
If she is a head cashier then yes it is a skilled NOC. She will need her PGWP and then show 3 payslips along with an employment letter.

jeenu123

Star Member
Jun 20, 2019
BC
Category........

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Does head cashier comes in NOC 0,A or B? When she will be on pgwp she will need to have NOC A B 0 job for me to apply spouse open work permit.
Would expect that you'll need to show proof of what makes her a head cashier, that she makes more than a regular cashier, etc.

TRV_2021

Feb 19, 2021
Visitor Visa Canada

Reason for refusal:
In particular:

Hi, as I understood you applied visitor visa for your husband on 24 Jan and they approved the visa on 18 Feb. Is this correct?
Once you get the approval of the visa (TRV), do you still need to apply for an authorization letter? I am not sure if an authorization letter is needed for an immediate family member.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Hi, as I understood you applied visitor visa for your husband on 24 Jan and they approved the visa on 18 Feb. Is this correct?
Once you get the approval of the visa (TRV), do you still need to apply for an authorization letter? I am not sure if an authorization letter is needed for an immediate family member.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing
Yes Visitor Visa was approved on 18 Feb.
Yes authorization letter is required for immediate member of a temporary resident.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Her pay rate is 18 dollar per hour. Will that be enough or is it less?
Depends on her NOC and whether it meets the median average for the area/province she lives in. Google “wage average job bank” and you can check the Canadian database. Also she needs to be on her PGWP first and then apply after 3 pay stubs.

sandhu70

Dec 1, 2016
Depends on her NOC and whether it meets the median average for the area/province she lives in. Google “wage average job bank” and you can check the Canadian database. Also she needs to be on her PGWP first and then apply after 3 pay stubs.
Thanks a lot.