+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - gf from Philippines - passport submission request

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Hi y'all,

Based on my research, the odds of my successfully bringing my Filipina gf over to Canada for a visit appear very slim given the circumstances. Despite that, I went forth with the application as meticulously as possible. Within roughly the predicted CIC processing time (13 days in this case) for the online application, she received an update with passport submission request. She went to drop off the passport and submission request, pay the fee etc at VFS. VFS sent that to CIC, and CIC updated with confirmation they received it the same day. VFS said to expect it returned in 3-4 days.

So far, this all seems too good to be true - but, maybe I'm just not understanding the process. Is it normal that we would get this far, if it was being rejected? In my mind, there should be no sense in requesting for the passport to be sent to them if the application was being rejected. Can anyone chime in who's familiar with the process from reliable sources?

And as a follow-up question to that, assuming the miracle of approval, I have been worried sick about her being denied at the Manila airport by the immigration officer despite having all papers in order. It seems to be something that happens a lot over there, in the name of stopping human trafficking or some such.

Our situation is:

- I'm a full-time employee with a good job at a national telco, reasonable income, savings and investments (no issue to prove *my* financial capacity to support her during her stay)
- She was employed for the offshore campus of the same company for 4 years but recently quit and had lined up a new promising job, but hasn't started yet (red flag for being currently unemployed?)
- She has bank and tax statements to prove her previous employment, but no savings at all (surely another red flag)
- No house/mortgage, no car or any real assets to prove ties back home (definite red flag)
- She has a 7 year old daughter there
- Relatively new relationship (less than a year), but we have proof of relationship (pictures of me with her and her family, vacations together)

My fear is that if this visa does get approved somehow, that the IO at the airport will take one look at her, proceed to the secondary investigation (proof of financial capacity etc), and decline boarding regardless of valid visa/passport/plane ticket. In the likely event that they do ask more questions - will the bank draft in her name be sufficient to satisfy the IO, given that the visa application with that information was approved? And since she will be staying at my place (ie, no hotel reservations), will my letter of invitation satisfy the IO that she has a place to stay? Will they nitpick if that letter of invitation is not notarized (I didn't notarize it for the CIC online application)?

Trying to anticipate the best course of action to avoid any awful surprises at the airport if this is going through. Thanks for any input!!

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Found this on the CIC site:

Passport request letter

Once an application has been approved and a final decision has been entered, the processing office must send the ‘Passport Request’ letter to the applicant through their MyCIC account.

I think, I hope, that should answer my question about whether or not it's approved!! :D

Any insight into the rest of my OP would still be appreciated muchly!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Actually, one weird thing about the IOs at Manila airport is that they usually look for a company ID. And she might have to worry about "laglag bala" :D (ask her about it).

You have to be more worried about her satisfying the questions of the CBSA when she lands in Canada.

But yes, the passport request letter is usually a good sign, but no guarantees until she sees the stamped visa in there. Hope it works out for you guys.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the bullet planting thing won't be a problem, I didn't have any issues when I went there last two times hehe. Beyond having all the documents from the visa application + passport + visa + plane ticket, are there more precautions/preparations that should be seen to?

And yeah, the company ID. That will be a problem since she's unemployed currently! I'm scared of it going sideways lol

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Seems everything's in order. If the IO quizzes her about her being unemployed, she can mention about her daughter back home. Just relax, I think it will be all right.

sw8Tjana

Star Member
Jul 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
29-07-2015
AOR Received.
Waiting
zcypher said:
Hi y'all,

Based on my research, the odds of my successfully bringing my Filipina gf over to Canada for a visit appear very slim given the circumstances. Despite that, I went forth with the application as meticulously as possible. Within roughly the predicted CIC processing time (13 days in this case) for the online application, she received an update with passport submission request. She went to drop off the passport and submission request, pay the fee etc at VFS. VFS sent that to CIC, and CIC updated with confirmation they received it the same day. VFS said to expect it returned in 3-4 days.

So far, this all seems too good to be true - but, maybe I'm just not understanding the process. Is it normal that we would get this far, if it was being rejected? In my mind, there should be no sense in requesting for the passport to be sent to them if the application was being rejected. Can anyone chime in who's familiar with the process from reliable sources?

And as a follow-up question to that, assuming the miracle of approval, I have been worried sick about her being denied at the Manila airport by the immigration officer despite having all papers in order. It seems to be something that happens a lot over there, in the name of stopping human trafficking or some such.

Our situation is:

- I'm a full-time employee with a good job at a national telco, reasonable income, savings and investments (no issue to prove *my* financial capacity to support her during her stay)
- She was employed for the offshore campus of the same company for 4 years but recently quit and had lined up a new promising job, but hasn't started yet (red flag for being currently unemployed?)
- She has bank and tax statements to prove her previous employment, but no savings at all (surely another red flag)
- No house/mortgage, no car or any real assets to prove ties back home (definite red flag)
- She has a 7 year old daughter there
- Relatively new relationship (less than a year), but we have proof of relationship (pictures of me with her and her family, vacations together)

My fear is that if this visa does get approved somehow, that the IO at the airport will take one look at her, proceed to the secondary investigation (proof of financial capacity etc), and decline boarding regardless of valid visa/passport/plane ticket. In the likely event that they do ask more questions - will the bank draft in her name be sufficient to satisfy the IO, given that the visa application with that information was approved? And since she will be staying at my place (ie, no hotel reservations), will my letter of invitation satisfy the IO that she has a place to stay? Will they nitpick if that letter of invitation is not notarized (I didn't notarize it for the CIC online application)?

Trying to anticipate the best course of action to avoid any awful surprises at the airport if this is going through. Thanks for any input!!
hi. Would you mind sharing the timeline for the application of your girlfriend. Thanks.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
Thanks.. :)

Timeline so far has been OK:

- April 8: application submitted to CIC online , estimated CIC processing time was posted as 13 days
- April 19: passport submission request received from CIC online - application status still says "open" and "final decision - not started"
- April 20: passport submission request + passport + fee submitted to VFS in person at VFS Makati, they said to expect 3-4 days from that point
- April 21: email sent to her by VFS with their tracking number
- April 22: VFS site still says currently processing at CVAC, CIC site still says "final decision - not started"

If all goes well the trip is May 9-22, and I'm nervous about making sure she has notarized invitation letter + bank draft in hand in order to clear the airport. There's considerable expense to mail it there quickly, but I'm not sure I can stomach taking the chance of her being offloaded for not having those in hand. But I also want to be absolutely certain that it's all approved before I do that!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My relative's timeline is one day ahead of your GFs, and they got "closed" and "this application has been approved" today, as well as the VFS dispatch email, so your GF should see the updates in her MyCIC by Monday Manila time.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
April 23: CIC site now says the final decision is approved..!! :D :D

VFS site still says the same "processing at CVAC" message. Hopefully should soon be ready for pickup.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014/FeDex-ed 26-10
IELTS Request
included in the application
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
I hope you won't mind but what is the reason that you gave to CIC as to why she will come to Canada?

Congratulations in advance! Your situation is "unusual" and yet she got it!

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
The "reason" given was the truth which was for her to come visit me for my birthday, and meet friends and family. This was carefully written in both her letter of explanation and my letter of invitation. She has a kid over there, so we included a small mention of her wanting to come back to visit with her next time. She included the kid's birth certificate and affidavit for solo parent ID. I looked up examples of other people's letters of invitation and created mine using those as a general guide.

The fact that I had visited there twice already recently and we had traveled together outside of the Philippines was clearly explained and the proof of our relationship was included (just a few pictures of me with her and her family).

I made every effort to ensure her application was as perfect as possible in their eyes. No spelling or grammar mistakes, no poorly formatted parts, also filled out one of the "optional" documents, provided as much proof of everything as I could even if it wasn't explicitly called for. Even though she doesn't have savings, I still made her include months of bank statements, and I included mine as well. Tax documents for both of us.

In the end I was able to fill out all the required sections but I was still sure it would be rejected considering she's not employed, has no savings, and fairly little to prove she would return. I'm shocked that it was approved and kinda freaking out now hehe. Can't wait! I wonder what kind of visa they will give, since they started "automatically considering everyone for multiple entry", it's no longer a separate thing to apply for.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014/FeDex-ed 26-10
IELTS Request
included in the application
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
zcypher said:
The "reason" given was the truth which was for her to come visit me for my birthday, and meet friends and family. This was carefully written in both her letter of explanation and my letter of invitation. She has a kid over there, so we included a small mention of her wanting to come back to visit with her next time. She included the kid's birth certificate and affidavit for solo parent ID. I looked up examples of other people's letters of invitation and created mine using those as a general guide.

The fact that I had visited there twice already recently and we had traveled together outside of the Philippines was clearly explained and the proof of our relationship was included (just a few pictures of me with her and her family).

I made every effort to ensure her application was as perfect as possible in their eyes. No spelling or grammar mistakes, no poorly formatted parts, also filled out one of the "optional" documents, provided as much proof of everything as I could even if it wasn't explicitly called for. Even though she doesn't have savings, I still made her include months of bank statements, and I included mine as well. Tax documents for both of us.

In the end I was able to fill out all the required sections but I was still sure it would be rejected considering she's not employed, has no savings, and fairly little to prove she would return. I'm shocked that it was approved and kinda freaking out now hehe. Can't wait! I wonder what kind of visa they will give, since they started "automatically considering everyone for multiple entry", it's no longer a separate thing to apply for.
Your reply made me emotional and teary eyed! Lol!

I was thinking of asking my husband who is in the Philippines (with pending PR application) to apply for visit visa for my birthday too. I'm hesitant because he's unemployed and I can't think of a "proof" (for CIC) that he will really go back there after spending few weeks here.

Thanks for the tips. It gives me a ray of hope! I'm happy for both of you.

zcypher

Apr 6, 2016
It is hard, especially when your circumstances might give them even more reason to think they won't want to go back, on top of not having much proof that they will. They do list examples in the online application but they really aren't exhaustive or all inclusive. Look elsewhere online for examples of things people used, and push them to think of any activities (or maybe take steps to become involved in new activities) that would prove ties to the community. If they are active in a church, social, activist or political activities, etc. School, work and studies always helps to prove you have reason to go back. If they have none, they could always try enrolling in something, even if it's a short duration like a certificate or attestation of some kind, it would at least demonstrate they have a reason to go back and could be useful too.

Good luck! I wish I could say whether it's a good or bad idea to apply for a visitor visa when you're also trying to get PR, but I just don't know. It probably does make it more difficult. But why not approve it if sufficient documentation can be supplied? Focus efforts on making the application as perfect as possible and providing more than what's asked, somehow.

M

mikeymyke

You guys see? This is yet another example of how if you put in a lot of effort into the TRV application, you will greatly increase your chances of getting an approval.

When I first asked the guys on this forum about getting my wife a visitor visa, everyone said it was impossible, don't even bother, etc etc. But I was able to get my wife a visitor visa, as well as got my mom in law a super visa.

Really happy for you zcypher.