+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Parents using new IRCC portal, Are they immediate family members

KatMar

Nov 22, 2021
Hi,
I am a Permanent Resident residing in Canada. I am applying for visitor visa to my parents using the new portal. But i am confused if they are extended or immediate family members. I have attached the screenshot here. Can someone help me.

Tagging @superMK since you have already applied through here
Hi Aphermix, did you manage to obtain the visitor visa for your parents? Could you help me clarify something please? When my parents enter into this new portal the alternatives shown are the ones you listed in this post but also there is another one at the end that says "Visit Family/Friend". In this case, do you know what is the difference between "to reunite with an immediate/extended family member" and "visit family"? I don't know what they should choose, my parents will stay in Canada for just 3 months.... I hope you can help. Thanks.

Chikibam

Mar 9, 2020
Hi,
I am a Permanent Resident residing in Canada. I am applying for visitor visa to my parents using the new portal. But i am confused if they are extended or immediate family members. I have attached the screenshot here. Can someone help me.

Tagging @superMK since you have already applied through here
Hi, I have a question. In the new portal, you added the details of you parents seperately in the same family group? Can you please confirm? Also, do we need to provide proof of funds for all the family members separately?

khurrambhatti

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-11-2014
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Request
18-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2015
LANDED..........
01-05-2016
Hi Aphermix, did you manage to obtain the visitor visa for your parents? Could you help me clarify something please? When my parents enter into this new portal the alternatives shown are the ones you listed in this post but also there is another one at the end that says "Visit Family/Friend". In this case, do you know what is the difference between "to reunite with an immediate/extended family member" and "visit family"? I don't know what they should choose, my parents will stay in Canada for just 3 months.... I hope you can help. Thanks.
Your parents are coming to meet their child, so it should be "to reunite with an immediate/extended family member". "Visit Family/Friend" are for those who are coming to meet someone like uncle, aunty etc.

I choose the same and got the PPR.

KatMar

Nov 22, 2021
Your parents are coming to meet their child, so it should be "to reunite with an immediate/extended family member". "Visit Family/Friend" are for those who are coming to meet someone like uncle, aunty etc.

I choose the same and got the PPR.
Hi! Thank you for your answer, could you please explain what is the PPR? My parents are applying for the visitor visa and I am a PR.
Thanks!

KatMar

Nov 22, 2021
Hi, I have a question. In the new portal, you added the details of you parents seperately in the same family group? Can you please confirm? Also, do we need to provide proof of funds for all the family members separately?
Hi, I haven't got to that part yet because at first, I had to find out if my parents were immediate family or extended family because the description they had on the website was very confusing and ambiguous. When I found the initial post of this thread I was able to clarify that they were indeed immediate family, although I am an independent child. And now once they started the application they found the option I was talking about "visit family" or "unite to immediate family" and since I'm still not sure what to choose, I haven't moved forward :(

sridharcw

Nov 20, 2014
Can someone clarify regarding medical insurance requirement for visitors visa for parents? Does one need to provide proof of medical insurance as part of application ?
If Im correct I dont need to provide proof of medical insurance as part of application. I will be taking medical insurance once the travel itenary is planned or flights are booked.

khurrambhatti

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-11-2014
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Request
18-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2015
LANDED..........
01-05-2016
Can someone clarify regarding medical insurance requirement for visitors visa for parents? Does one need to provide proof of medical insurance as part of application ?
If Im correct I dont need to provide proof of medical insurance as part of application. I will be taking medical insurance once the travel itenary is planned or flights are booked.
You are right. Medical insurance is mandatory for Super Visa, not visit visa

Chikibam

Mar 9, 2020
Hi, I haven't got to that part yet because at first, I had to find out if my parents were immediate family or extended family because the description they had on the website was very confusing and ambiguous. When I found the initial post of this thread I was able to clarify that they were indeed immediate family, although I am an independent child. And now once they started the application they found the option I was talking about "visit family" or "unite to immediate family" and since I'm still not sure what to choose, I haven't moved forward :(
No problem, I hope the next steps are comparatively smooth for you. Best of luck!

-MJ-

Dec 14, 2017
Hi guys,

I as a permanent resident and applied under family reunification on behalf of my parents. I submittted application on Dec 09, 2021 on new portal and got the acknowledgment letters immediately. The letters contain the application numbers and the table which I have pasted below got updated just after the submission. But later on when I signed in, I can't see the application no. Next day, I got an email that I received a message in my account for biometrics instructions letter. But I am unable to check the status and messages. Any one faced similar issue ?

Application type

Application number

Applicant name

Date submitted

Current statusAction
Visitor visa applicationNot availableDecember 9, 2021ApplicationStatus.InProgressPending
Visitor visa applicationNot availableDecember 9, 2021ApplicationStatus.InProgressPending

peterjohn

Star Member
Oct 14, 2017
Nigeria
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
03-07-2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
30-06-2021
Passport Req..
06-10-2021
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2021
LANDED..........
28-11-2021
Hi,
My parents under the new portal, but i have a question regarding the application.
they are applying as a group, under my mum's account, does that mean my mum is a representative for my dad?

Mar 7, 2022
I merged multiple documents (invitation letter, parent's proof of funds, medical insurance etc) in single PDF file and upload it in "additional documents" and it worked.
Hi, it is very difficult to include all docs in Additional Documents so can we include Funds docs in Funds section and Employment docs in Employment section though both funds and employment section details are not suitable?

Mar 7, 2022
I merged multiple documents (invitation letter, parent's proof of funds, medical insurance etc) in single PDF file and upload it in "additional documents" and it worked.
@khurrambhatti
Is it necessary to add all under additional documents section? If we do then that means no document need to be attached in Funds (Proof) section? But website on top says you need to provide all documents under supporting documents section
Can't we provide like the following? though the details in Funds(proof) and Employment Letter sections are misleading
Actually its very difficult to merge everything under Additional documents section as the max size limit is 2 MB

National identity documentCurrent Passport first & last page
Passport/travel documentPassports (Current & Expired) showing my travel history
Funds (proof)My detailed salary account bank statement of last six months with stamp and sign from the bank
Funds (proof)Fixed deposits from all banks
Funds (proof)ITR/ Form-16
Consent personal informationNot applicable
Employment letterNo objection Employment letter for my upcoming travel plan to Canada
Employment letterLast 6 months salary slips
Additional documentsCover Letter
Additional documentsDetailed day-wise travel itinerary
Additional documentsConfirmed reservations of accommodations for 5 days, as for remaining days I will be staying in my sister residence
Additional documentsInvitation letter from my sister
Additional documentsProof of Canadian citizenship: Canada passport of my sister
Additional documentsProof of my sister residence in Canada: My sister driving license
Additional documentsProof of our brother–sister relationship: My passport and my sister OCI card show the same parents