+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for fiancee's brother for our wedding? Philippines

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
@Bryanna and @bellaluna Thank you both so much for the help along the way, we appreciate it more then we could ever express. We are so shocked and excited, I have never seen a girl so happy as when I told my fiancée the news this morning. I guess there are some CIC agents out there with a heart!

Reactions: bellaluna

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna and @bellaluna Thank you both so much for the help along the way, we appreciate it more then we could ever express. We are so shocked and excited, I have never seen a girl so happy as when I told my fiancée the news this morning. I guess there are some CIC agents out there with a heart!
I'm happy that bellaluna and I could add our little bit to make the most special day of your life a bit more special. So glad the visa officer, too, has made your wish come true

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
@Bryanna and @bellaluna sorry to keep bringing this up, but on the CIC website, nowhere does it say a decision was made, still just says "submitted", only on the letter for passport request does it say that a decision has been made and asks for the passport, nowhere does it say it was approved. He is going today to manila to submit his passport. does anyone know how long it will take so he can go back and get it? We are so excited, but until that visa is in his passport, we don't fully believe it!

Also, a question about when he travels here. We will be booking a flight for him through Philippine airlines that connects in Vancouver. He will need a ETA form from the Canadian government right? Also, I am assuming he will be called in to talk about his visa, when they ask about money, we sent him $500 that he will say is just pocket money and that I will be supporting him here. The layover is only just over 1 hour between flights, I don't want him to miss the second flight due to talking to the Canadian customs.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
@Bryanna and @bellaluna sorry to keep bringing this up, but on the CIC website, nowhere does it say a decision was made, still just says "submitted", only on the letter for passport request does it say that a decision has been made and asks for the passport, nowhere does it say it was approved. He is going today to manila to submit his passport. does anyone know how long it will take so he can go back and get it? We are so excited, but until that visa is in his passport, we don't fully believe it!

Also, a question about when he travels here. We will be booking a flight for him through Philippine airlines that connects in Vancouver. He will need a ETA form from the Canadian government right? Also, I am assuming he will be called in to talk about his visa, when they ask about money, we sent him $500 that he will say is just pocket money and that I will be supporting him here. The layover is only just over 1 hour between flights, I don't want him to miss the second flight due to talking to the Canadian customs.
It can only go to "approved" AFTER he submits his passport. If you say he hadn't submitted yet, then what is happening is totally normal. Manila VO usually takes 2 business days to stamp. He should get an email when it is ready for pickup. There is an SMS notification service but it never worked for my relatives and me even when we signed up for it.

No need for the ETA. The ETA is only for visa-exempt passport holders without TRVs (except Americans). He obviously has a TRV now.

If he is taking Philippine Airlines, he will be staying on the plane for the 1 hour layover--the stop in YVR is for refueling and crew turnover (and YVR-disembarking passengers), but it will be the same plane. I have taken this flight myself. His port of entry and interview will be in Toronto. Basic questions will be purpose of visit, address, who is he staying with (e.g. is it a friend, relative, etc.), how long will he stay. And please tell your fiancée not to make him bring any food from the Philippines, as tempting as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacksoul93

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
It can only go to "approved" AFTER he submits his passport. If you say he hadn't submitted yet, then what is happening is totally normal. Manila VO usually takes 2 business days to stamp. Is he picking up his passport, or will he have it couriered back? If he will have it courier, it might take an extra day or two, depending on where in the Philippines he lives.

No need for the ETA. The ETA is only for visa-exempt passport holders. He obviously is not visa-exempt, since he has a TRV.

If he is taking Philippine Airlines, he will be staying on the plane for the 1 hour layover--I have taken this flight myself. His port of entry and interview will be in Toronto. Basic questions will be purpose of visit, address, who is he staying with (e.g. is it a friend, relative, etc.), how long will he stay. And please tell your fiancée not to make him bring any food from the Philippines, as tempting as it is.
He will be going back to pick it up, we don't trust the mail system there (we have lost packages before) He is in Cabanatuan city, so not close at all, but we think its worth it for him to make the trip.

Thanks for the clarification about the ETA, I though he would need one, better that we don't have to bother with it.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the flight. I though he would have to transfer planes, it is a relief to know he wont have to navigate through a airport to get to a new plane. I will make sure that he does not bring anything. My fiancée has experience travelling and told him the same thing, we don't want any chance of him getting caught up for anything, we can get most of those foods here anyway.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
He will be going back to pick it up, we don't trust the mail system there (we have lost packages before) He is in Cabanatuan city, so not close at all, but we think its worth it for him to make the trip.

Thanks for the clarification about the ETA, I though he would need one, better that we don't have to bother with it.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the flight. I though he would have to transfer planes, it is a relief to know he wont have to navigate through a airport to get to a new plane. I will make sure that he does not bring anything. My fiancée has experience travelling and told him the same thing, we don't want any chance of him getting caught up for anything, we can get most of those foods here anyway.
Hah, true, I can't blame you there with your experience. It is a private courier, so it's slightly better than the local postal service. I lived 5 km away from VFS but had my passport couriered back anyway.

Oh, sorry, I don't think I answered your previous question about money directly. I'd meant to suggest that CBSA usually doesn't ask about funds on hand for the trip, but in the off chance if he is asked, he can simply tell the truth about the $500 pocket money and you supporting him. It shouldn't be an issue. Money is only really declared if it's over $10,000.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hah, true, I can't blame you there with your experience. It is a private courier, so it's slightly better than the local postal service. I lived 5 km away from VFS but had my passport couriered back anyway.

Oh, sorry, I don't think I answered your previous question about money directly. I'd meant to suggest that CBSA usually doesn't ask about funds on hand for the trip, but in the off chance if he is asked, he can simply tell the truth about the $500 pocket money and you supporting him. It shouldn't be an issue. Money is only really declared if it's over $10,000.
ok sounds good. I've just watched those border security shows and sometimes they ask how you are supporting yourself.... maybe I should be so paranoid and watch those shows haha