+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for fiancee's brother for our wedding? Philippines

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
We are getting married in October and are trying to get my fiancée's brother from Philippines a visitor visa to come here for the wedding and to visit some tourist sites ect.

I am born and raised Canadian and will be the one to do all the paperwork as we as support him while he is here. My Fiancee is here on a working visa and her PR application is processing now.

My questions are, he is a student 22 years old, no wife, no property, no job (he has worked at the family owned store for years). I know this is going to be a long shot if they will approve this. What can we do to better the chances of having this approved? He will be coming for 2-3 weeks and I will be supporting him and he will be living with us.

I will be supplying a letter of invitation explaining the situation and what we plan on doing. I am trying to figure out if there is anything that we can include that might help in the approval.

I was planning on getting the following:

- Letter of invitation - How exactly does this work? Do I need to send the letter to the Canadian consulate in Philippines? I plan on submitting all the paperwork online from Canada for both of us.

- Bank statement - We plan on putting about $1500-$2000 in his bank account - Is this enough? its says this on the Canada Manila document checklist, Do I just need to include my financials to show that I can support him? He doesn't even have a bank account right now so there is no way of showing 6 months of account balance...

Proof of sufficient funds to cover expenses for the duration of your visit.
• A bank statement covering the last six months and showing the balance of the account;
• Any additional relevant documentation (payslips, investments, certificates of deposit, etc.).
• If you are not paying for your own trip, indicate how your trip will be funded. Submit supporting documentation, for example: parents’ bank statements; letter from employer covering costs; spouse’s employment, proof of employment and financial documents for host in Canada (employment letter, pay slips, T4/Notice of Assessment, bank statements), etc.

- A letter signed from the dean of his school saying that he is enrolled and needs to return to school
- copy of his dean's list scholarship papers
- Maybe a letter from my mother explaining the situation
- Copies of all the wedding docs/invoices - Venue payment, flowers, cake, dress

Also, Will booking a refundable ticket with a return date be of any help for this situation?

Is there anything else we can do? She hasn't seen any of her family in over 2.5 years and she just wants at least one family member at her wedding. I will feel horrible if we have our wedding and she has nobody there from her family. please help

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
We are getting married in October and are trying to get my fiancée's brother from Philippines a visitor visa to come here for the wedding and to visit some tourist sites ect.
Congratulations

I am born and raised Canadian and will be the one to do all the paperwork as we as support him while he is here. My Fiancee is here on a working visa and her PR application is processing now.
Since you say you plan to do it online, you can start at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
Answer the questionnaire as if you are him, then say yes to the part about a representative.

My questions are, he is a student 22 years old, no wife, no property, no job (he has worked at the family owned store for years). I know this is going to be a long shot if they will approve this. What can we do to better the chances of having this approved? He will be coming for 2-3 weeks and I will be supporting him and he will be living with us.

I will be supplying a letter of invitation explaining the situation and what we plan on doing. I am trying to figure out if there is anything that we can include that might help in the approval.

I was planning on getting the following:

- Letter of invitation - How exactly does this work? Do I need to send the letter to the Canadian consulate in Philippines? I plan on submitting all the paperwork online from Canada for both of us.

- Bank statement - We plan on putting about $1500-$2000 in his bank account - Is this enough? its says this on the Canada Manila document checklist, Do I just need to include my financials to show that I can support him? He doesn't even have a bank account right now so there is no way of showing 6 months of account balance...

Proof of sufficient funds to cover expenses for the duration of your visit.
• A bank statement covering the last six months and showing the balance of the account;
• Any additional relevant documentation (payslips, investments, certificates of deposit, etc.).
• If you are not paying for your own trip, indicate how your trip will be funded. Submit supporting documentation, for example: parents’ bank statements; letter from employer covering costs; spouse’s employment, proof of employment and financial documents for host in Canada (employment letter, pay slips, T4/Notice of Assessment, bank statements), etc.

- A letter signed from the dean of his school saying that he is enrolled and needs to return to school
- copy of his dean's list scholarship papers
- Maybe a letter from my mother explaining the situation
- Copies of all the wedding docs/invoices - Venue payment, flowers, cake, dress
I would suggest that you do not transfer money to him. He is a student anyway, and it is understandable that he doesn't have a bank account yet. Then, you will have to show your and your fiancée's financial documents. You said it yourself, it is a long shot, but it's a case-to-case situation. Maybe him being a scholar will help (ties), and maybe it won't (insufficient finances).

You're on the right track with the wedding receipts (upload under Purpose of Travel) and school documents (upload under Proof of Financial Support with your financial documents or Additional Documents). However, consider that the nature of his studies may also play a role. If he is taking up nursing or something like that, that decreases his chances even further.
You can also include the rest of the academic calendar.

The invitation letter guidelines are not hard and fast: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp
You will upload it with the rest of the application.

Also, Will booking a refundable ticket with a return date be of any help for this situation?
No no no no no. Even a pre-purchased ticket will not help.

Is there anything else we can do? She hasn't seen any of her family in over 2.5 years and she just wants at least one family member at her wedding. I will feel horrible if we have our wedding and she has nobody there from her family. please help
In my opinion, I would put the focus on building a case based on whatever hard evidence you, your fiancée, and her brother can supply.
I've come across a few cases of long-shot approvals from the Manila visa office thanks to sob stories, but not often. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but it's up to you if you want to exhaust your options. It's a harmless one.

It is not impossible, but you guys have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Reactions: joeythecat

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Congratulations

Since you say you plan to do it online, you can start at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
Answer the questionnaire as if you are him, then say yes to the part about a representative.

I would suggest that you do not transfer money to him. He is a student anyway, and it is understandable that he doesn't have a bank account yet. Then, you will have to show your and your fiancée's financial documents. You said it yourself, it is a long shot, but it's a case-to-case situation. Maybe him being a scholar will help (ties), and maybe it won't (insufficient finances).

You're on the right track with the wedding receipts (upload under Purpose of Travel) and school documents (upload under Proof of Financial Support with your financial documents or Additional Documents). However, consider that the nature of his studies may also play a role. If he is taking up nursing or something like that, that decreases his chances even further.
You can also include the rest of the academic calendar.

The invitation letter guidelines are not hard and fast: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp
You will upload it with the rest of the application.

No no no no no. Even a pre-purchased ticket will not help.

In my opinion, I would put the focus on building a case based on whatever hard evidence you, your fiancée, and her brother can supply.
I've come across a few cases of long-shot approvals from the Manila visa office thanks to sob stories, but not often. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but it's up to you if you want to exhaust your options. It's a harmless one.

It is not impossible, but you guys have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Thank you for the detailed post, this is exactly what I was looking for as far as help was concerned. The part about the Manila visa office, what exactly do you mean? We can get him to go there to apply, I am not sure I follow.

Also will including a letter from a family member of mine help at all, explaining the situation and that they will make sure he returns home?

I am also going to try to get him to go to the dean of the university and ask him to sign a letter that I will draft stating that he is on the deans scholarship list and needs to return to finish his studies, he's a good student ect. Hopefully this might help a bit.

Are you sure about not sending him money for a bank account? or I guess this might raise more questions about where he got the money ect.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for the detailed post, this is exactly what I was looking for as far as help was concerned. The part about the Manila visa office, what exactly do you mean? We can get him to go there to apply, I am not sure I follow.
Nah, I just noticed that the Manila VO is a bit more sympathetic towards applicants even in situations similar to your fiancée's brother. In other visa offices, he'd have a higher chance of getting denied. But that's just my observation based on anecdotes on these forums.

Also will including a letter from a family member of mine help at all, explaining the situation and that they will make sure he returns home?
Not really. Again: focus on hard evidence, documents.

I am also going to try to get him to go to the dean of the university and ask him to sign a letter that I will draft stating that he is on the deans scholarship list and needs to return to finish his studies, he's a good student ect. Hopefully this might help a bit.
You're right, this might help *a bit*. Still no guarantee. Him being a scholar is a double-edged sword.

Are you sure about not sending him money for a bank account? or I guess this might raise more questions about where he got the money ect.
Yes to your second sentence. Read up on this forum and you'll see that officers don't like new accounts or sudden big bank transfers. That's the reason why they ask for 3-4 months of bank statements.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Nah, I just noticed that the Manila VO is a bit more sympathetic towards applicants even in situations similar to your fiancée's brother. In other visa offices, he'd have a higher chance of getting denied. But that's just my observation based on anecdotes on these forums.

Not really. Again: focus on hard evidence, documents.

You're right, this might help *a bit*. Still no guarantee. Him being a scholar is a double-edged sword.

Yes to your second sentence. Read up on this forum and you'll see that officers don't like new accounts or sudden big bank transfers. That's the reason why they ask for 3-4 months of bank statements.

Ok thanks. Do you know if he gets denied how soon we can reapply for it?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
@bellaluna for my info that I am sending, what exactly do I need to submit? My T4, a letter of employment (I just started a new job, I hope this doesn make a huge impact) Copies of my bank account statements. What else do I need?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
also on the application form, there is a section that states "funds available for my stay" what should I put for him there? I am funding his trip

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
also on the application form, there is a section that states "funds available for my stay" what should I put for him there? I am funding his trip
This would likely work against his application. Greater financial dependence on you = Lesser chances of being approved.

Instead it would be better if his parents could support his visit

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
This would likely work against his application. Greater financial dependence on you = Lesser chances of being approved.

Instead it would be better if his parents could support his visit
His parents have no money to fund the trip. I know it will work against us, this is just a shot in the dark, but I really hope this works out, we want him there to walk her down the aisle. She has zero family here and it will kill me and her if nobody can come from her side.