+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Family Reunion - Spouse

jasmin22

Nov 22, 2016
Hello Guyz,

Please share your timelines. Mine is below.

Applied: 6 Feb 2021
Submission Confirmation: 6 Feb 2021
Reason: Family Reunion
Country of origin: India

Reactions: Meee@

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guyz,

Please share your timelines. Mine is below.

Applied: 6 Feb 2021
Submission Confirmation: 6 Feb 2021
Reason: Family Reunion
Country of origin: India
Unfortunately getting a TRV for a spouse is very difficult. People misunderstood that the travel exception for foreign spouses meant that spouses were guaranteed TRVs.

jasmin22

Nov 22, 2016
Unfortunately getting a TRV for a spouse is very difficult. People misunderstood that the travel exception for foreign spouses meant that spouses were guaranteed TRVs.
Really? I feel like everyone is getting it these days, to be specific, people who have their PR in process.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
But I feel a lot of people would still apply, regardless of low chances. And regardless of the travel exemption being in place or not.

Cant expect married couples to stay separately and be okay with it, right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But I feel a lot of people would still apply, regardless of low chances. And regardless of the travel exemption being in place or not.

Cant expect married couples to stay separately and be okay with it, right?
No harm trying but people thought that the travel exemption guaranteed that their spouse would be able to join them. Many had already been denied a TRV and thought this would allow them to bring their spouse to Canada while they waited for their sponsorship application to be processed. If you marry someone from another country there is a process to sponsor them which involves and approximately 12 month separation. Yes married couples are expected to be separated. Many married couples who have to remain separated for long period of time for various reasons.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Expected to be separated? On what grounds? I understand the processing time takes 10-12 months for sponsorship, but I believe denying TRVs to such spouses is absolutely ridiculous. Especially since there's no denials for temporary resident's spouses.

Spouses of citizens and PRs can still contribute to Canadian economy even before their PR is approved.
This logic that "they're expected to be separated" sounds archaic.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Expected to be separated? On what grounds? I understand the processing time takes 10-12 months for sponsorship, but I believe denying TRVs to such spouses is absolutely ridiculous. Especially since there's no denials for temporary resident's spouses.

Spouses of citizens and PRs can still contribute to Canadian economy even before their PR is approved.
This logic that "they're expected to be separated" sounds archaic.
The process to sponsor a spouse from abroad is well documented on the government website. If choosing to marry someone in another country there is a process. It is very hard and expensive to deport people from Canada and immigration fraud exists so Canada wants to make sure relationships are genuine before granting visas to spouses in the majority of couples from countries that require visas. If Canada allowed every spouse to enter Canada there would be an uptick of sponsorships that are suddenly withdrawn once the spouse enters Canada. Spouses of temporary workers are also routinely denied visas and WPs. One of the primary reasons is that marriage is recent without much of a relationship history.

Reactions: kmanmd

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
The process to sponsor a spouse from abroad is well documented on the government website. If choosing to marry someone in another country there is a process. It is very hard and expensive to deport people from Canada and immigration fraud exists so Canada wants to make sure relationships are genuine before granting visas to spouses in the majority of couples from countries that require visas. If Canada allowed every spouse to enter Canada there would be an uptick of sponsorships that are suddenly withdrawn once the spouse enters Canada. Spouses of temporary workers are also routinely denied visas and WPs. One of the primary reasons is that marriage is recent without much of a relationship history.
Again, I'm not even questioning what you just said. I totally understand all of this - and I can understand why they take their own sweet time to process that application.

But why does that not apply to spouses of temporary resident's who's wives get visas automatically? And also an OWP? If their marriages are frauds, they'd have to be deported too right?

I'm not saying spouses of permanent residents should get PR right away.
But they should have a provision to provide them a temporary residence where even they can add value.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Again, I'm not even questioning what you just said. I totally understand all of this - and I can understand why they take their own sweet time to process that application.

But why does that not apply to spouses of temporary resident's who's wives get visas automatically? And also an OWP? If their marriages are frauds, they'd have to be deported too right?

I'm not saying spouses of permanent residents should get PR right away.
But they should have a provision to provide them a temporary residence where even they can add value.
As previously said spouses of people on WPs and study permits are also denied. Many who recently got married without a good in person dating history are often denied sometimes many times until they have a longer relationship history. Spouses of international students are also denied often. Approval seems 50/50.

You can't just deport someone if it is discovered that the marriage is a fraud. A person would have the ability to appeal, apply to stay on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, may qualify for free lawyer, etc. This is a multiyear process and extremely expensive. At the end the person may not get deported.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
As previously said spouses of people on WPs and study permits are also denied. Many who recently got married without a good in person dating history are often denied sometimes many times until they have a longer relationship history. Spouses of international students are also denied often. Approval seems 50/50.

You can't just deport someone if it is discovered that the marriage is a fraud. A person would have the ability to appeal, apply to stay on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, may qualify for free lawyer, etc. This is a multiyear process and extremely expensive. At the end the person may not get deported.
Well, with that approach, all people who get visas approved also are candidates for violating their duration of stay and may never go back. The concept of visa is being lost in translation here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, with that approach, all people who get visas approved also are candidates for violating their duration of stay and may never go back. The concept of visa is being lost in translation here.
Exactly which is why getting a visa to visit Canada is very difficult to get. For example getting a visa to visit the US is much easier to get than Canada but they can also easily deport people, wouldn't provide legal aid, etc.

sanjee881

Nov 2, 2020
Hi
My wife in Canada arrived on February 1st 2021 with Study Permit.
Me and our 20 months old child in Sri Lanka.
Is there any chance to visit her with Visitor Visa?? Or is there any other options?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi
My wife in Canada arrived on February 1st 2021 with Study Permit.
Me and our 20 months old child in Sri Lanka.
Is there any chance to visit her with Visitor Visa?? Or is there any other options?
You can try but she just arrived. When does her permit expire? Also you are better to apply for a open work permit since a visitor visa is likely to be rejected for you. A visitor visa doesn’t allow you to work just visit temporarily. Your bigger challenge is that you both need the visas and written authorization to travel. So you need to prove why your travel is essential. Also you need a 14 day quarantine plan and if mandatory quarantine comes in to place, up to $4000 for the two of you to quarantine.