+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for boyfriend - sorry for the length!

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
Hello all!

I have read through many many forums here and have found some great advice. I'm looking forward to hearing some more!
I feel like my situation is complex - stay with me!
I am a Canadian citizen living in Nicaragua. I met my Nica boyfriend in April and have been living with him since then. I am pregnant and want to return to Canada to have the baby - of course with the father.
We applied twice for the visitor visa in December for Christmas - both times refused as there was no travel experience and lack of strong ties to his country.
I know that we are almost technically common-law however I don't know if the best way to do the application is to ignore that, and say he's single as there's no way to prove common-law (I can't have thigns in my name too without residency)
He hasn't traveled, never wanted to and never had the funds to do so. We did send in documents with proof of his moto and property, however it is very hard to find a translator and they were in Spanish.. not English.. which I'm guessing is maybe why we were denied.
We got signed letters from his employer stating he had a month off and would be returning, and he of course has his dad here and 11 siblings with tons of nieces as well that he would need to return to. We are for SURE returning to Nicaragua after a few months in Canada, I just don't know how to prove that.
This time around when we apply I neeeed him to get accepted. The thought of having a baby alone without the support of my partner and not being able to share in the JOY of it all is devastating.
My mom wrote the sponsor letter, stating he would not have to pay for anything. I also wrote a sponsor letter saying I would help support and pay for his tickets. However I did not send documents of her bank statements, only mine (could also have done me wrong)
He will probably only be there for 2 months, maybe more if we can swing it and if Canada will allow it. It is just so important to us that he is there. So any advice or any tips is so greatly appreciated.
ALSO, if anyone knows a place to have documents translated from Spanish to English recognized by CIC I would just die of appreciation! So hard to find anyone who can do that and of course all the documents need to be in English. Thank you in advance!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all!

I have read through many many forums here and have found some great advice. I'm looking forward to hearing some more!
I am a Canadian citizen living in Nicaragua. I met my Nica boyfriend in April and have been living with him since then. I am pregnant and want to return to Canada to have the baby - of course with the father.
We applied twice for the visitor visa in December for Christmas - both times refused as there was no travel experience and lack of strong ties to his country.
I know that we are almost technically common-law however I don't know if the best way to do the application is to ignore that, and say he's single as there's no way to prove common-law (I can't have thigns in my name too without residency)
He hasn't traveled, never wanted to and never had the funds to do so. We did send in documents with proof of his moto and property, however it is very hard to find a translator and they were in Spanish.. not English.. which I'm guessing is maybe why we were denied.
We got signed letters from his employer stating he had a month off and would be returning, and he of course has his dad here and 11 siblings with tons of nieces as well that he would need to return to. We are for SURE returning to Nicaragua after a few months in Canada, I just don't know how to prove that.
This time around when we apply I neeeed him to get accepted. The thought of having a baby alone without the support of my partner and not being able to share in the JOY of it all is devastating.
My mom wrote the sponsor letter, stating he would not have to pay for anything. I also wrote a sponsor letter saying I would help support and pay for his tickets. However I did not send documents of her bank statements, only mine (could also have done me wrong)
He will probably only be there for 2 months, maybe more if we can swing it and if Canada will allow it. It is just so important to us that he is there. So any advice or any tips is so greatly appreciated.
ALSO, if anyone knows a place to have documents translated from Spanish to English recognized by CIC I would just die of appreciation! So hard to find anyone who can do that and of course all the documents need to be in English. Thank you in advance!!
The chances of a TRV being refused given you are Canadian and the fact he already has two refusals is unfortunately very low.

To be approved, he needs to demonstrate very strong ties to his home country. He should provide evidence of things such full time employment, property ownership, and assets. He needs to demonstrate that he can fund the trip himself if at all possible. Having your mother fund the trip significantly weakens the application.

Additionally, he should request a trip of 2-3 weeks at most. Anything longer will demonstrate that he effectively has very few ties to his home country.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello all!

Just to add to scylla's reply:
Depending on how you got your Canadian citizenship, your baby would be eligible for Canadian citizenship even if s/he is born in Nicaragua

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all!

Unfortunately, he has almost no chance of approval. With 2 recent refusals, a Canadian partner, a baby on the way and not solid ties, he is a major high risk to overstay.

Note that your nearly one year absence likely makes you illegible for provincial health coverage in Canada.

Reactions: Bryanna

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
Just to add to scylla's reply:
Depending on how you got your Canadian citizenship, your baby would be eligible for Canadian citizenship even if s/he is born in Nicaragua
I was born in Canada, but I would really like to have the baby in Canada (better healthcare) as my family will be there and will be able to help me out and support me for a little while.
We definitely thought about having the baby here, just didn't really want anything to go wrong - plus super easy having doctors who speak your language haha

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
Unfortunately, he has almost no chance of approval. With 2 recent refusals, a Canadian partner, a baby on the way and not solid ties, he is a major high risk to overstay.

Note that your nearly one year absence likely makes you illegible for provincial health coverage in Canada.
I went back to Canada within the year and also pay my Canadian medical plan every month, so as far as I know I am still covered there.
I guess I was just hoping that he got been refused because we had filled out the forms wrong (not translating the documents in English like we are supposed to.)
I don't know what constitutes as "solid ties" though. He is 1% owner of a business here (not much - but still something), building a hostel, has a moto, technically two properties and his whole family. What other strong ties are they looking for?
Totally get the high risk of overstaying. ESPECIALLY given Nicaragua is having so many political problems right now. I just don't know how to prove it all

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
The chances of a TRV being refused given you are Canadian and the fact he already has two refusals is unfortunately very low.

To be approved, he needs to demonstrate very strong ties to his home country. He should provide evidence of things such full time employment, property ownership, and assets. He needs to demonstrate that he can fund the trip himself if at all possible. Having your mother fund the trip significantly weakens the application.

Additionally, he should request a trip of 2-3 weeks at most. Anything longer will demonstrate that he effectively has very few ties to his home country.
Sadly, deeffinitley would not be able to fund the trip by himself which I know is a huuuge killer. I can't imagine how many people struggle with that. People here make a dollar an hour. It isn't easy sadly.
Not that we're going to be doing any trips or anything while he's there. I mean, he's going to be in the house, sharing the food we eat and accompanying us on trips to the hospital. So he doesn't have to pay for anything really. But I do understand how that looks to him.
If we say he will stay for a month tops, is there an easy enough way to expand the trip while he's there? In case the baby is late?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I went back to Canada within the year and also pay my Canadian medical plan every month, so as far as I know I am still covered there.
I guess I was just hoping that he got been refused because we had filled out the forms wrong (not translating the documents in English like we are supposed to.)
I don't know what constitutes as "solid ties" though. He is 1% owner of a business here (not much - but still something), building a hostel, has a moto, technically two properties and his whole family. What other strong ties are they looking for?
Totally get the high risk of overstaying. ESPECIALLY given Nicaragua is having so many political problems right now. I just don't know how to prove it all
Did you inform the provincial health authority that you left Canada? You likely do not qualify since you moved away and should have stopped paying premiums. Make 100% sure before you come here to give birth because if you don't qualify, you will be committing healthcare fraud and if found out, they will go after you to repay all costs.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Which province are you living in?

mcart

Jan 14, 2019

Why is a Canadian partner such a red flag for over stay? What if the Canadian partner has ties elsewhere (e.g. US permanent resident temporarily in Canada)? How would you make that argument that over stay is not a concern, as even the Canadian partner will be leaving Canada in 6 months?

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
Did you inform the provincial health authority that you left Canada? You likely do not qualify since you moved away and should have stopped paying premiums. Make 100% sure before you come here to give birth because if you don't qualify, you will be committing healthcare fraud and if found out, they will go after you to repay all costs.
I certainly did not... I just kept paying thinking I would be okay :/ I should have researched that. I wonder if you can purchase a certain healthcare thing for having a child there if you're from Canada? This just keeps getting more and more complicated haha but thank you so much for pointing that out to me

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
So I
Why is a Canadian partner such a red flag for over stay? What if the Canadian partner has ties elsewhere (e.g. US permanent resident temporarily in Canada)? How would you make that argument that over stay is not a concern, as even the Canadian partner will be leaving Canada in 6 months?
I'm the canadian but my boyfriend is Nicaraguan :( So I'm sure they would be concerned about HIS overstay sadly

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I certainly did not... I just kept paying thinking I would be okay :/ I should have researched that. I wonder if you can purchase a certain healthcare thing for having a child there if you're from Canada? This just keeps getting more and more complicated haha but thank you so much for pointing that out to me
I was living in BC, so I left in March 2018 and went back in December 2018 for 3 weeks only
You do not qualify for MSP. You need to inform MSP that you left Canada in March 2018. The December visit was just that: a visit. If you return for just a few months and use MSP to give birth, it is healthcare fraud.

There is no insurance that covers childbirth. It is a losing situation for an insurance company.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was living in BC, so I left in March 2018 and went back in December 2018 for 3 weeks only
You don't meet the residency requirement in that case. Did you contact Health Insurance BC before leaving? See:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/managing-your-msp-account/leaving-bc-temporarily

You'll be facing a three month wait period when you return before you'll qualify for health care coverage again. When is the baby due?