+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for boyfriend - sorry for the length!

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
You do not qualify for MSP. You need to inform MSP that you left Canada in March 2018. The December visit was just that: a visit. If you return for just a few months and use MSP to give birth, it is healthcare fraud.

There is no insurance that covers childbirth. It is a losing situation for an insurance company.
Makes sense for them I guess. Wonder how expensive that is to give birth haha.
I will definitely be calling them before I commit fraud unknowingly. So happy you guys informed me of this. THANK YOU

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
You don't meet the residency requirement in that case. Did you contact Health Insurance BC before leaving? See:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/managing-your-msp-account/leaving-bc-temporarily

You'll be facing a three month wait period when you return before you'll qualify for health care coverage again. When is the baby due?
Ah yes I just read about the wait period too. Not to mention, I won't be in Canada for 6 months after baby is born. So I'm sure I don't qualify for for anything in that case.
Baby is due late June. And I would probably return mid May

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Makes sense for them I guess. Wonder how expensive that is to give birth haha.
I will definitely be calling them before I commit fraud unknowingly. So happy you guys informed me of this. THANK YOU
Several thousand dollars for a normal birth. A lot more for a complicated birth. And if there are complications with the baby and a NICU stay is required, it could be astronomical. https://globalnews.ca/news/227498/australian-couple-has-1-million-hospital-bill-after-baby-born-in-bc/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ah yes I just read about the wait period too. Not to mention, I won't be in Canada for 6 months after baby is born. So I'm sure I don't qualify for for anything in that case.
Baby is due late June. And I would probably return mid May
You'll be on your own then to pay for the costs of any check ups in Canada, as well as the birth. I would have $10K set aside to cover these costs. However if there are any complications, the costs could be significantly higher.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ohhh dear. Perhaps a home birth would be better. Gosh. I couldn't imagine having that hospital bill
You have little chance or arriving 8 months pregnant and finding a midwife, let alone one willing to do a home birth. And the same bill will apply if there are complications and you or the baby have to go to hospital.

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
You have little chance or arriving 8 months pregnant and finding a midwife, let alone one willing to do a home birth. And the same bill will apply if there are complications and you or the baby have to go to hospital.
I would of course start reaching out now and finding help, or some kind of insurance that would cover me when I go. There has to be some kind of option for people who wish to have their baby in Canada but don't have MSP (albeit an expensive one)
I happen to have an aunt that is a midwife too, as awkward as that would be, maybe she has connections haha
That bill will definitely arrive if there are complications yep! Just be something I have to deal with in the future. Again, super glad you guys informed me of this!

You wouldn't happen to know of any certified translators out there for translating Spanish documents would you by the way?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would of course start reaching out now and finding help, or some kind of insurance that would cover me when I go. There has to be some kind of option for people who wish to have their baby in Canada but don't have MSP (albeit an expensive one)
There are insurance options available if you purchase the insurance before you are actually pregnant - so not an option for you. Other insurance can cover certain costs in the first two trimesters. There are no insurance options available that will cover the costs of the birth for you at this point. You can certainly go with a home birth. Of course if there are any issues whereby you end up being move to a hospital, you'll have to pay that out of pocket and that will get expensive very fast.

The other options is to make sure you return to Canada 4-5 months before you are due to give birth and then remain here until the child is born to make sure you have provincial heal care coverage.

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
There are insurance options available if you purchase the insurance before you are actually pregnant - so not an option for you. Other insurance can cover certain costs in the first two trimesters. There are no insurance options available that will cover the costs of the birth for you at this point. You can certainly go with a home birth. Of course if there are any issues whereby you end up being move to a hospital, you'll have to pay that out of pocket and that will get expensive very fast.

The other options is to make sure you return to Canada 4-5 months before you are due to give birth and then remain here until the child is born to make sure you have provincial heal care coverage.
I would have no problem moving to Canada to get all that stuff sorted with insurance IF my partner could come with me. However, that's clearly going to be very very difficult. Nobody wants to go back to a country without their partner while their pregnant.
Or, at least I don't. Looks like we might have to do the home birth and hope for the best!
I never imagined all this would be so difficult. Honestly the first time we applied for him we just followed exactly what they ordered and sent in only the documents they requested, no pictures, no employment letters. Just very straight forward. And I foolishly thought it was going to be easier. And I have just been proved so wrong.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I would have no problem moving to Canada to get all that stuff sorted with insurance IF my partner could come with me. However, that's clearly going to be very very difficult. Nobody wants to go back to a country without their partner while their pregnant.
Or, at least I don't. Looks like we might have to do the home birth and hope for the best!
I never imagined all this would be so difficult. Honestly the first time we applied for him we just followed exactly what they ordered and sent in only the documents they requested, no pictures, no employment letters. Just very straight forward. And I foolishly thought it was going to be easier. And I have just been proved so wrong.
Honestly, there is almost no chance that your partner is going to get a TRV. If you want to be together for the birth, you should be planning to have the child in his country.

Reactions: scylla

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
Honestly, there is almost no chance that your partner is going to get a TRV. If you want to be together for the birth, you should be planning to have the child in his country.
I only wanted it in Canada because my family is there, the citizenship (not sure how difficult that is to get outside of country, not like it's a HUGE deal) and healthcare.
I mean, if I can't jump on the healthcare wagon and be helped by doctors with great equipment who also speak my language without paying THOUSANDS, there's really not much of a point going there. Not to mention, you are probably very correct, I don't think I will be able to get my partner there and I'm not a guy, but I would think that would be a bit hard to handle not being there (or I would hope)
Definitely going to have to start thinking of something else I think.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I only wanted it in Canada because my family is there, the citizenship (not sure how difficult that is to get outside of country, not like it's a HUGE deal) and healthcare.
I mean, if I can't jump on the healthcare wagon and be helped by doctors with great equipment who also speak my language without paying THOUSANDS, there's really not much of a point going there. Not to mention, you are probably very correct, I don't think I will be able to get my partner there and I'm not a guy, but I would think that would be a bit hard to handle not being there (or I would hope)
Definitely going to have to start thinking of something else I think.
Totally understandable.

Note that the citizenship thing is a non-issue. Your child will be born a Canadian citizen. You just need to apply for their Certificate of Citizenship.

Reactions: scylla

Blissfulbonvoyage

Feb 17, 2019
Totally understandable.

Note that the citizenship thing is a non-issue. Your child will be born a Canadian citizen. You just need to apply for their Certificate of Citizenship.
Well that's good to know. I guess it's just as simple as applying for the citizenship and getting a passport and such to be able to travel to Canada and meet the family afterwards.
The one simple thing out of all of this haha