+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for 10 years

Mesad

Feb 8, 2015
Hi everyone

I will appreciate if you give me more details on my questions

My mom received a visitor visa last year that expires in 9 years. It s not a supervisa , it s just a regular visitor multivisa.

I read on the CIC webside that she cannot stay in Canada more than 6 months at a time , so, she has to leave the country before she reaches 6 months stay here.
So, the question is
Is there a way she can stay longer in Canada? Can she somehow extend her stay here?
Will it work if she flag poling at the Canadian border every 5 months, as an example?

2. And one more question
When she did her visitor visa last year she was going to come, for a month , in Canada , in September 2015 and of course, she put this time line in her application form. However, she couldn't come here because of
job related issues. So will it be the problem now when she gets to Canada?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. The best option is to apply to extend her stay from withint Canada. This will give you the highest chance of success. Going to the border (flagpoling) is riskier - sometimes they will extend your visit and sometimes they won't. Higher chance within Canada. Undertand that she won't be able to continue applying for extensions and stay in Canada indefinitely. At some point the extension will be refused and she will have to return home. She should make sure she is spending enough time in her home country between visits to Canada to make sure it doesn't look like she is trying to live in Canada as a visitor. For example, let's say she comes for six months and then extends for another six months to stay for a full year. When she goes home after that, she should remain in her home country for at least six months before attempting another visit.

2. No - this won't be a problem.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
scylla said:
1. The best option is to apply to extend her stay from withint Canada. This will give you the highest chance of success. Going to the border (flagpoling) is riskier - sometimes they will extend your visit and sometimes they won't. Higher chance within Canada. Undertand that she won't be able to continue applying for extensions and stay in Canada indefinitely. At some point the extension will be refused and she will have to return home. She should make sure she is spending enough time in her home country between visits to Canada to make sure it doesn't look like she is trying to live in Canada as a visitor. For example, let's say she comes for six months and then extends for another six months to stay for a full year. When she goes home after that, she should remain in her home country for at least six months before attempting another visit.

Lets say if we extend the stay. Does that mean the existing 10 years visa gets cancelled? or it can be used for future visit as well?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PhdStream said:
Lets say if we extend the stay. Does that mean the existing 10 years visa gets cancelled? or it can be used for future visit as well?
Visitor status, which is what allows her to stay in Canada, is completely separate from her TRV. The TRV validity remains the same.

Mesad

Feb 8, 2015
scylla said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

May I ask you one more question

If she changes her visitor multivisa to a supervisa within Canada , will it be a better option?