+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension - within 30 days of status expiration

VSe

May 6, 2021
Hi,

My mom came on visitor visa on Dec 1, 2020 and was returning on May 25th 2021. I just read we are supposed to apply before 30 days of current visa expiration which is 6 months. Now when I tried to apply online today it does not give an option to extend visa (visitor record), I think the reason is because I am applying 24 days before rather than 30 days. Now my questions are:

1. Can I apply paper application?
2. Does not seem I need to apply for restoration status because we are technically still eligible to apply?
3. If someone else has been in such a situation then what was the outcome?

Your quick response will be appreciated I am already late. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My mom came on visitor visa on Dec 1, 2020 and was returning on May 25th 2021. I just read we are supposed to apply before 30 days of current visa expiration which is 6 months. Now when I tried to apply online today it does not give an option to extend visa (visitor record), I think the reason is because I am applying 24 days before rather than 30 days. Now my questions are:

1. Can I apply paper application?
2. Does not seem I need to apply for restoration status because we are technically still eligible to apply?
3. If someone else has been in such a situation then what was the outcome?

Your quick response will be appreciated I am already late. Thank you!
30 days before expiry is just a recommendation. You are still able to apply to extend her visitor record.

VSe

May 6, 2021
30 days before expiry is just a recommendation. You are still able to apply to extend her visitor record.
Thank you very much for your response. But when I logged in to the account to apply it’s not giving an option to fill the questionnaire where we need to select an option to apply for visitor record.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for your response. But when I logged in to the account to apply it’s not giving an option to fill the questionnaire where we need to select an option to apply for visitor record.
You are probably answering the initial question(s) wrong.

VSe

May 6, 2021
I will try them again, will share screenshot with you. Thank you for your response I do appreciate it.
You are right I did not choose the right option, I did get panicked. Thank you once again. But another question is confusing me now, I don’t think my mother get the biometrics done I applied for her visa years ago and she got it for 10 years but now due to covid biometrics are exempted but when I chose ‘No’ for biometrics done question it’s showing $100 for application and $85 for biometrics. When I will complete the application it will ask me to pay 85 or only $100?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are right I did not choose the right option, I did get panicked. Thank you once again. But another question is confusing me now, I don’t think my mother get the biometrics done I applied for her visa years ago and she got it for 10 years but now due to covid biometrics are exempted but when I chose ‘No’ for biometrics done question it’s showing $100 for application and $85 for biometrics. When I will complete the application it will ask me to pay 85 or only $100?
Would pay for biometrics and you will be refunded if exemption remains.

abhinav.ak86

May 9, 2021
Select the option as visitor and set the current country of residence as Canada

buenapilapil

Sep 22, 2022
I will try them again, will share screenshot with you. Thank you for your response I do appreciate it.
Hello, did your mom get the visitor record? We're planning to apply for my mom as well but the thing is we're short of 5 days of the 30 days recommendation.. Thanks for your response.

Sep 29, 2022
Hi, I have also applied for my parents extension but within 30 days. So my questions are:

1. There will not be any red flag of overstay right?
2. What to do if they want to leave Canada while waiting for the extension decision?

Thanks

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Hi canuck, Applying for parents visitor record.
Can i still apply for visitor record if the status expired 20 days ago? I apply visitor record on ircc portal and they cancelled it today. I thought i can apply for visitor extension or visitor record in portal. I just made an account on gckey and the documents checklist required medical insurance good for 1 year. I also encountered the questions about to meet LICO cut off?