+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa extension; Approval received day after request for medical? Please help clarify!

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014
My mother in law received a multiple entry visitor visa (not a super visa) in August 2017 (expires in about 5 years on the same date her passport expires) and she flew to stay with us and at the time we figured it would be the full 6 months allowed per visit. A few weeks ago we decided to apply for an extension so that she could experience summer here as well. On Thursday, we received a request for her to have a medical and it noted that she would have implied status until Feb 18 (Original 6 months would expire Feb 11) to obtain the medical. She initially didn't require a medical and we were told by cic that it wasn't necessary unless requested which would be fine.

However, after applying, we remembered that there was a important family event towards the end of March and that she was going to go back at that point either way. Because of this, once we got the medical request, we decided it wasn't worth the cost of having it done since she would only be staying an extra 3-4 weeks. But then, on Friday, we received another notice from the CIC portal stating that her extension application had been approved and that the paperwork was in the mail.

Given the fact that implied status exists, I don't see why they would give an approval unless the application was fully approved and not contingent on a medical. The approval letter stated nothing about implied status, just approval. We were about to buy her return ticket this weekend, but if she is already approved to stay until she wanted to go home in mid March, then of course she would stay that long. But ticket prices fluctuate quite a bit and there can be a $500 plus swing in ticket prices the closer you get to the travel dates. So if she is leaving in February, we want to buy as soon as possible.

So my questions:
1) Has anyone been in a situation where they received full approval right after a request for a medical?
2) Of course we will contact CIC, but in your experience, do you think she still needs the medical since they gave her a full approval the day after the initial request?
3) Is there potentially any issue with her not following through on the extension after applying for it? I feel like it looks bad that she cancels the application after the medical request. But if she was going to be staying for more than a few extra weeks we would absolutely go through with the medical.
4) My wife was reading somewhere that if they don't stamp a date on her passport when she arrives, she is actually able to stay up to one year, not 6 months as we assumed and they did not stamp a required exit date on her passport. Has anyone heard of this before?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My mother in law received a multiple entry visitor visa (not a super visa) in August 2017 (expires in about 5 years on the same date her passport expires) and she flew to stay with us and at the time we figured it would be the full 6 months allowed per visit. A few weeks ago we decided to apply for an extension so that she could experience summer here as well. On Thursday, we received a request for her to have a medical and it noted that she would have implied status until Feb 18 (Original 6 months would expire Feb 11) to obtain the medical. She initially didn't require a medical and we were told by cic that it wasn't necessary unless requested which would be fine.

However, after applying, we remembered that there was a important family event towards the end of March and that she was going to go back at that point either way. Because of this, once we got the medical request, we decided it wasn't worth the cost of having it done since she would only be staying an extra 3-4 weeks. But then, on Friday, we received another notice from the CIC portal stating that her extension application had been approved and that the paperwork was in the mail.

Given the fact that implied status exists, I don't see why they would give an approval unless the application was fully approved and not contingent on a medical. The approval letter stated nothing about implied status, just approval. We were about to buy her return ticket this weekend, but if she is already approved to stay until she wanted to go home in mid March, then of course she would stay that long. But ticket prices fluctuate quite a bit and there can be a $500 plus swing in ticket prices the closer you get to the travel dates. So if she is leaving in February, we want to buy as soon as possible.

So my questions:
1) Has anyone been in a situation where they received full approval right after a request for a medical?
2) Of course we will contact CIC, but in your experience, do you think she still needs the medical since they gave her a full approval the day after the initial request?
3) Is there potentially any issue with her not following through on the extension after applying for it? I feel like it looks bad that she cancels the application after the medical request. But if she was going to be staying for more than a few extra weeks we would absolutely go through with the medical.
4) My wife was reading somewhere that if they don't stamp a date on her passport when she arrives, she is actually able to stay up to one year, not 6 months as we assumed and they did not stamp a required exit date on her passport. Has anyone heard of this before?
1. She has not been fully approved. She has been approved on the condition that she completes the medical in the required time. The Visitor Record will state this in the "Conditions" sections.

2. Yes, she needs to complete the medical.

3. Her extension will be cancelled and she will be in Canada illegally.

4. Your wife should read the IRCC or CBSA website. 6 months when there is no date.

a_k98

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
1. She has not been fully approved. She has been approved on the condition that she completes the medical in the required time. The Visitor Record will state this in the "Conditions" sections.

4. Your wife should read the IRCC or CBSA website. 6 months when there is no date.
I want important information regarding medical .
my first study application was denied in may 2017 , now i got visa for jan intaje but deferred it to sep intake .My upfront medical is going to expire on 7 Feb ,2018 and i will enter canada in August.
so before entering canada I have to get a new medical test or not ?
if yes , is it affect my study permit?

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014

Thanks for the reply. This is what I figured, but I'm still confused why they would issue the approval with conditions since they already gave her implied status until Feb 18. Approval with conditions to me is no different then implied status.

And you noted that her extension would be cancelled and she will be in Canada illegaly. But that wasn't what I meant. If we didn't move forward with the request of the medical, then of course she would leave prior to the original six month deadline. What I meant by that question, is will not following through on the extension result in issues with her account for future applications?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply. This is what I figured, but I'm still confused why they would issue the approval with conditions since they already gave her implied status until Feb 18. Approval with conditions to me is no different then implied status.

And you noted that her extension would be cancelled and she will be in Canada illegaly. But that wasn't what I meant. If we didn't move forward with the request of the medical, then of course she would leave prior to the original six month deadline. What I meant by that question, is will not following through on the extension result in issues with her account for future applications?
If she leaves prior to her original 6 month deadline, then she will still be in status upon her departure.

Betai

Jan 26, 2018

So my questions:
If they approved the extension without receiving the medical exam, the application has a decision made and it was approved. In case she applies for another extension the medical exam will be requested as a mandatory document to send.
If she decides to leave the country before, she is all good. It is not because she has an extension to stay longer approved that she needs to stay, agree?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If they approved the extension without receiving the medical exam, the application has a decision made and it was approved. In case she applies for another extension the medical exam will be requested as a mandatory document to send.
If she decides to leave the country before, she is all good. It is not because she has an extension to stay longer approved that she needs to stay, agree?
You seriously need to stop telling people they don't need to do the medical. It is a conditional approval based on doing the medical. A few cases fall through the cracks and the VRs don't state this condition but that is not common.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Betai

Jan 26, 2018
You seriously need to stop telling people they don't need to do the medical. It is a conditional approval based on doing the medical. A few cases fall through the cracks and the VRs don't state this condition but that is not common.
I dont tell people they dont need to do the medical. It happened to me and to 3 other friends. We didnt send the medical and nothing happened. We asked for another extension and then we had to send the medical at first place with all the priorities documents. I ALWAYS tell people to call cic and confirm.
In this case in particular he asked if she needed to send once she is returning to her country before her 6th month. I don't see the need to send it and I would call cic just to be sure. Everyone else who I know and didnt sent it after they approved, didnt have any problem.

It is a public forum based on personal experiences as well. If someone here wants to be sure, access cic website or call them.. or ask people for official information.

Please share the official information which states that we have problems if we dont send the medical exam after they approve the app extending the stay as a visitor. Thanks!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I dont tell people they dont need to do the medical. It happened to me and to 3 other friends. We didnt send the medical and nothing happened. We asked for another extension and then we had to send the medical at first place with all the priorities documents. I ALWAYS tell people to call cic and confirm.
In this case in particular he asked if she needed to send once she is returning to her country before her 6th month. I don't see the need to send it and I would call cic just to be sure. Everyone else who I know and didnt sent it after they approved, didnt have any problem.

It is a public forum based on personal experiences as well. If someone here wants to be sure, access cic website or call them.. or ask people for official information.

Please share the official information which states that we have problems if we dont send the medical exam after they approve the app extending the stay as a visitor. Thanks!
You are telling them that they are approved and don't need the medical for their extension, which you can't guarantee.

You need to state when you are providing information based on your own private experience instead of providing it as fact. The majority in this situation receive a VR with the medical required as a condition.

A person must comply with all conditions of their stay for their status to remain valid. When the medical is a required condition on a VR and is not completed, the person is in violation of the terms of their stay and therefore their status is no longer valid.

Betai

Jan 26, 2018
You are telling them that they are approved and don't need the medical for their extension, which you can't guarantee.

You need to state when you are providing information based on your own private experience instead of providing it as fact. The majority in this situation receive a VR with the medical required as a condition.

A person must comply with all conditions of their stay for their status to remain valid. When the medical is a required condition on a VR and is not completed, the person is in violation of the terms of their stay and therefore their status is no longer valid.
I am pretty sure that you are misunderstanding my answers.

Show me where I said they do not need the medical. If you read his question you saw that his first question is if anyone has had the same experience. I had. And I told him what has happened to me and to a few of my friends in the same situation.

What happened to me is a fact. Or in your opinion I should call it an error? And say that they are making A LOT of errors with A LOT of approvals without the medicals?!
The user did not ask what are the majority cases, he asked based on personal cases. If someone has faced the same, please answer him.

Your last statemant does not show references. Where did you find out that the status is no longer valid if the applicant does not send the medicals after they have the extension approved? Do you know someone who had this experience of invalidation? Has it happened to you?
So, you mean that my status became invalid and even thought it was invalid they approved my 2nd, 3rd and 4th extension? Not only mine but my friends too?!

I am not here saying that what you said is wrong or right. I am only answering to the person who asked the question. Cic's mistake or not, the applicant should always confirm with them. This forum is full of opinions and there is no kid here to make important decisions based on a stranger opinion. If you read his question again you will see he saying "of course we will call CIC..." They want to know experiences to compare to them. And I wrote mine, which again was a fact not opinion!! (If she applies again, then the medicals will be mandatory at first place if it happens as it happened to the experiences I have knowlodge of).

Thanks for your concerns!! No doubt that doing what CIC asks to is the best choice!!

Have a great day!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Show me where I said they do not need the medical. If you read his question you saw that his first question is if anyone has had the same experience. I had. And I told him what has happened to me and to a few of my friends in the same situation.
Your statement: If they approved the extension without receiving the medical exam, the application has a decision made and it was approved. In case she applies for another extension the medical exam will be requested as a mandatory document to send.

That is you saying the medical only needs to be done for another extension, i.e. telling them that they don't need to do the medical now. There really is no other way to interpret your statement.

You have not had the same experience because in OP's case, the VR has not yet arrived.

What happened to me is a fact. Or in your opinion I should call it an error? And say that they are making A LOT of errors with A LOT of approvals without the medicals?!
The user did not ask what are the majority cases, he asked based on personal cases. If someone has faced the same, please answer him.
It was an error, either in not stating the condition for the medical on the VR or in the original medical request being issued. It does happen but most of the time, it is done correctly.

Your last statemant does not show references. Where did you find out that the status is no longer valid if the applicant does not send the medicals after they have the extension approved? Do you know someone who had this experience of invalidation? Has it happened to you?
So, you mean that my status became invalid and even thought it was invalid they approved my 2nd, 3rd and 4th extension? Not only mine but my friends too?!
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-34.html#docCont

Continuation of status and conditions
(6) If the period authorized for the stay of a temporary resident is extended by operation of paragraph (5)(a) or extended under paragraph (5)(b), the temporary resident retains their status, subject to any other conditions imposed, during the extended period.

Again, this applies when the medical is stated as a condition on the VR. If you and "your friends", with all of your "2nd, 3rd and 4th extensions", received VRs without the medical condition, then your status was fine.

I am not here saying that what you said is wrong or right. I am only answering to the person who asked the question. Cic's mistake or not, the applicant should always confirm with them. This forum is full of opinions and there is no kid here to make important decisions based on a stranger opinion. If you read his question again you will see he saying "of course we will call CIC..." They want to know experiences to compare to them. And I wrote mine, which again was a fact not opinion!! (If she applies again, then the medicals will be mandatory at first place if it happens as it happened to the experiences I have knowlodge of).
I didn't say your experience was opinion or that it wasn't fact; I simply said it was your personal experience.

Again in that last statement, you are telling them that the medical is not needed for this extension, i.e. don't do the medical.

Betai

Jan 26, 2018
Your statement: If they approved the extension without receiving the medical exam, the application has a decision made and it was approved. In case she applies for another extension the medical exam will be requested as a mandatory document to send.

That is you saying the medical only needs to be done for another extension, i.e. telling them that they don't need to do the medical now. There really is no other way to interpret your statement.

You have not had the same experience because in OP's case, the VR has not yet arrived.

It was an error, either in not stating the condition for the medical on the VR or in the original medical request being issued. It does happen but most of the time, it is done correctly.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-34.html#docCont

Continuation of status and conditions
(6) If the period authorized for the stay of a temporary resident is extended by operation of paragraph (5)(a) or extended under paragraph (5)(b), the temporary resident retains their status, subject to any other conditions imposed, during the extended period.

Again, this applies when the medical is stated as a condition on the VR. If you and "your friends", with all of your "2nd, 3rd and 4th extensions", received VRs without the medical condition, then your status was fine.

I didn't say your experience was opinion or that it wasn't fact; I simply said it was your personal experience.

Again in that last statement, you are telling them that the medical is not needed for this extension, i.e. don't do the medical.
I will make it simple to see if you understand my point.
I answered to his question in particular. Did you read that she got the extension approved and that She WOULD NOT STAY IN THE COUNTRY after her 6 months? (She applied for an extension but they realized that she needs to go back to her country before the 6 months expire).
So, based on that fact I said that she had the app approved and she does not need the medical (she is not extending her stay), IF they don't say anything on her VR better yet, she could even stay for the extra period allowed. PLUS "call cic to confirm". In any moment I told him to not send the medical if there is a note regarding it on her VR.
Seriously, I just think that some people make a simple thing a big deal.

Thank you for your information. Maybe someone will use them when they have that type of doubt. It is useful!!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I will make it simple to see if you understand my point.
I answered to his question in particular. Did you read that she got the extension approved and that She WOULD NOT STAY IN THE COUNTRY after her 6 months?
So, based on that fact I said that she had the app approved and she does not need the medical (she is not staying during the extension), IF they don't say anything on her VR better yet, she could even stay for the extra period allowed. PLUS "call cic to confirm". In any moment I told him to not send the medical if there is a note regarding it on her VR.
Seriously, I just think that some people make a simple thing a big deal.

Thank you for your information. Maybe someone will use them when they have that type of doubt. It is useful!!
I read the posts. OP was unsure of the departure date and the questions posed several scenarios. The medical being a condition of the extension, it would not be required if the person left while on their original status; as I said to OP, if she leaves prior to her original deadline, she is still in status.

Also note that I was responding to recent posts you made in general, including this one where you made the same statement to someone who said that they were planning to stay beyond the expiry of their original stay.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/help-is-the-medical-exam-really-required-to-get-visa-extension.539919/#post-6676801

Some people who come to this forum for help don't always understand that this is simply a public forum and people post experiences and, quite often, incorrect information. Many don't know to look into things further. If someone in this situation comes along and searches the forum and just sees your post stating: "If they approved the extension without receiving the medical exam, the application has a decision made and it was approved. In case she applies for another extension the medical exam will be requested as a mandatory document to send", they will take away from that they don't need to do the medical for this extension. They won't check their VR and won't see the medical in the conditions and will end up out of status.

Betai

Jan 26, 2018
I read the posts. OP was unsure of the departure date and the questions posed several scenarios. The medical being a condition of the extension, it would not be required if the person left while on their original status; as I said to OP, if she leaves prior to her original deadline, she is still in status.

Also note that I was responding to recent posts you made in general, including this one where you made the same statement to someone who said that they were planning to stay beyond the expiry of their original stay.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/help-is-the-medical-exam-really-required-to-get-visa-extension.539919/#post-6676801

Some people who come to this forum for help don't always understand that this is simply a public forum and people post experiences and, quite often, incorrect information. Many don't know to look into things further. If someone in this situation comes along and searches the forum and just sees your post stating: "If they approved the extension without receiving the medical exam, the application has a decision made and it was approved. In case she applies for another extension the medical exam will be requested as a mandatory document to send", they will take away from that they don't need to do the medical for this extension. They won't check their VR and won't see the medical in the conditions and will end up out of status.
[to be continued]

Dominica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
I am in a similar situation, the email says medicals to be complete 30 days on receiving the email, however my mother plans to leave 10 days prior to the last day of the extended stay and this would be 10 days after she completes 30 days on receiving the email so was wondering if doing the medicals can be avoided as its an additional cost. any suggestions.

an example below
email received on 1st January
30 days would be 30 January
she leaves on 20 January

can she leave without medicals on 20 January ???