Visitor Status, from US citizen and hopeful PR

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a US Citizen that moved from the States to Ontario in Aug 2009 to marry my new Canadian bride and pursue PR status. We were married in Oct 2009. Nov 2009 I sent for my FBI clearance which was rejected because the fingerprint quality was "too low". I sent another set of fingerprints, and am still waiting for the results. This alone has set me back over six months just to file for PR.
Technically I'm still a visitor without PR status, not able to work. I've been back to the State on short visits three times since moving here last Aug.

Next week I'm flying back to the States by myself to visit family and I intend to drive my car back to Canada which has been in storage in the States. The car has never been to Canada.

I am hopeful the FBI clearance will arrive any time. If by chance the FBI report is rejected once more. I would probably go back to the States and work until PR is granted. Since I would not have (implied) visitor status.

When I drive back in a couple of weeks with my car (licensed from the States) should I:
1. Say I'm going on vacation? And hope it is ok with border patrol? My FBI clearance should come soon and apply for PR, and if needed apply for extended visitor status in six months.
2. Or tell them that I’m married and am going to apply for PR, and ask for a visitor record? Showing them my rejected FBI report. Would having the PR forms filled out and ready to go help?

Obviously I have not worked in the past 10 months. So I have no job. But I do have money in a US bank account. Although I have been in Canada for the past 10 months. I doubt Canadian IO knows how much time I've been here. Previous to coming here last Aug, I made numerous trips visiting. Several times I have had the second interview, but never denied entry. However it still concerns me after reading various stories about US citizens being denied access in similar situations.

I understand once I am granted PR I will need to legally export/import the car to Canada.

Vervain

Star Member
Jun 2, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 3, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 6, 2010
File Transfer...
Sep 8, 2010 Detroit
Med's Done....
Apr 23, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sep 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 29, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 14, 2010
Can your spouse come with you? After we got married in Canada we went over to the States and turned right around and came back. When we got to the border we asked to be sent in to the office and got a 1 year Visitor's Record just like that. Took 20 minutes, tops.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vervain said:
Can your spouse come with you? After we got married in Canada we went over to the States and turned right around and came back. When we got to the border we asked to be sent in to the office and got a 1 year Visitor's Record just like that. Took 20 minutes, tops.
She is not coming with me this time.
What advantage would that be?

We went to Florida in April for vacation. On our return flight to Toronto, we went through customs separately and had no trouble. The Canadian IO stamped my passport. Which they usually do when flying but not driving across the border.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
Vervain said:
Just curious..if you don't my asking, what did you tell them so that you can get a 1 yr VR? What did you say when you were asked the questions like "what is the nature of stay" and "how long are you planning to stay?" Did anyone give you a hard time? Getting one year is awesome and I want to know what you said to them. Thanks!