01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Jes_ON
Let me know if you have any inputs on this. Also, I spoke to an agent and he said it is best to have a TRV stamp in passport to be on a safer side. Obtaining a WP without a TRV is risky and I may be denied entry.
Another agent said, I can re-enter Canada with my valid Visitor permit status.
You do not need a TRV if you are entering Canada by a land POE. The TRV is to be able to board a flight to Canada. Your visitor permit should be enough to enter Canada at the border.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You said I cannot obtain my work permit at the border?

Last time I flagpoled with an expired TRV but valid work permit ( expiry date was still valid for 1 week the day I flagpoled). I could get a new work permit.

What is your country of citizenship?

You are not supposed to be able to get a work permit at the border unless you are from a visa-exempt country. But as we know, VOs sometimes make mistakes, and sometimes they are in our favour.

If you have a valid vistor record, I suppose there is no harm in trying.

Meg106

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Thanks for replying. I am not from a Visa exempt country. I do need a TRV.
I agree that on a visitor permit I should be able to re enter Canada.
Also, inspite of not being from a visa exempt country I could get my work permit last time. Hopefully I do not face issues this time.
My employer is concerned that they may not allow me to re enter canada as my TRV has expired.

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Thanks for replying. I am not from a Visa exempt country. I do need a TRV.
I agree that on a visitor permit I should be able to re enter Canada.
Also, inspite of not being from a visa exempt country I could get my work permit last time. Hopefully I do not face issues this time.
My employer is concerned that they may not allow me to re enter canada as my TRV has expired.
Hello,

Were you able to successfully flagpole while on visitor record?
I am in the same situation and looking for advise to flagpole for a SOWP.

Thanks

amanmann

Jan 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I recently got a Visitor Record extension until March 28th, 2019.I was not asked to submit my passport for a stamp.
Is there a difference between TRV and Visitor record or both are the same except that I cannot enter Canada again if I leave on a Visitor Record?

Also, I am speaking with a company for possible job opportunity and they asked me if I have a valid visa. I told them I have Visitor visa(TRV) until March 28, 2019. Is this information I provided to them correct for what they asked me? Do they require a valid stamp /visa to process my work permit?

Please help.
Thanks
How did it work please let me know..i m in same condition...

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Not yet. I might be going within couple weeks.
Are you visitor or had open work permit before.?
I was on student visa before, I have all the documents ready for the sowp.
Spouse PGWP
Marriage certificate
3 Pay stubs
NOC B job letter
My Visitor Record

Let me know if I am missing anything?

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Flagpole Update:

We went to the Rainbow Bridge border on Thursday but could not flagpole as the process was closed currently and were advised to return at 8pm. We waited and tried again at 8pm but by then the process was closed for the day.

I guess 8am early morning is the best option. Is it required for my spouse to be present with me? She will not be able to book another day off next week. Can I flagpole alone with all the required documents? Please advise, thanks.