+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor record extension refused

Jan 2, 2020
Appeals are long and expensive and generally don't work for these types of refusals. Best option (if you want to remain in Canada) is to apply to restore your status. Make sure you do that within 90 days of receiving the refusal.
I am confused. So, if the extension is refused. You are then "out of Status" and must leave Canada within 30 days... But, you are saying that while out of status you can then apply to restore. Does this give the application implied status once again for another 6-8months? Or is it a last ditch effort to buy time. And if this is rejected? What prevents someone from just living in Canada on implied status forever? Is this only if the applicant has some other method underway or finding permanent residency? Or would this apply to all individuals? Even ones that have been visiting and restoring a third and fourth time?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am confused. So, if the extension is refused. You are then "out of Status" and must leave Canada within 30 days... But, you are saying that while out of status you can then apply to restore. Does this give the application implied status once again for another 6-8months? Or is it a last ditch effort to buy time. And if this is rejected? What prevents someone from just living in Canada on implied status forever? Is this only if the applicant has some other method underway or finding permanent residency? Or would this apply to all individuals? Even ones that have been visiting and restoring a third and fourth time?
Yes, you can apply to restore your status within 90 days of being refused. No, applying to restore your status does not give you implied status. While you are waiting for the restoration application to be processed, you remain in Canada without status. So if restoration takes 6-8 months, you are in Canada without status for 6-8 months.

If restoration is approved, that puts you back in status.

If restoration is refused, then you need to leave Canada.

It's impossible to live in Canada on implied status forever. Implied status is just temporary while you wait for the results of an application. Sooner or later that application is either approved or refused. Again, applying to restore your status does not give you implied status. You remain in Canada without status.

Jan 2, 2020
Yes, you can apply to restore your status within 90 days of being refused. No, applying to restore your status does not give you implied status. While you are waiting for the restoration application to be processed, you remain in Canada without status. So if restoration takes 6-8 months, you are in Canada without status for 6-8 months.

If restoration is approved, that puts you back in status.

If restoration is refused, then you need to leave Canada.

It's impossible to live in Canada on implied status forever. Implied status is just temporary while you wait for the results of an application. Sooner or later that application is either approved or refused. Again, applying to restore your status does not give you implied status. You remain in Canada without status.
Ok, so... To stay in Canada you have to extend your visa. Say, after three to four attempts the government says, we think your trying to stay in Canada you have to leave. Instead of leaving all you have to do is apply for restoration. While you wait you are out of status, but as long as you aren't working and your travel insurance is renewed and valid. Really, all you have to do is keep trying to restore after you are rejected. Is this not a way to stay in Canada permanently? Could you continue to drive and get care at hospital if needed? Is this a loophole to stay forever?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, so... To stay in Canada you have to extend your visa. Say, after three to four attempts the government says, we think your trying to stay in Canada you have to leave. Instead of leaving all you have to do is apply for restoration. While you wait you are out of status, but as long as you aren't working and your travel insurance is renewed and valid. Really, all you have to do is keep trying to restore after you are rejected. Is this not a way to stay in Canada permanently? Could you continue to drive and get care at hospital if needed? Is this a loophole to stay forever?
No, it's not a loophole to stay forever. You can't apply for restoration over and over again. It doesn't work that way. You typically have one chance to apply for restoration, once that's refused, your only option is to leave Canada. Of course you can ignore the rules and remain in Canada illegally - and wait for CBSA to catch up with you and remove / deport you from Canada.

Reactions: Gail Mackenzie

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that if you are a visitor you'll be expected to pay for any medical care you receive. To drive you need insurance and some form of drivers license that is recognized by Canada. In general after a certain period of visiting Canada you will be refused any more extensions.

Reactions: Gail Mackenzie

chaz_dance

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021
What are some of the reasons you might be granted an extension? I am on an ETA and awaiting PR, if I do not get it granted before my 6 months are nearly up, I want to apply for an extension. Can I give the reason that my partner is here and that I am awaiting PR? Or will it just be rejected?