+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor or resident?

Tricia Quinn

Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

I'm just looking for some assurance I guess. I came to Canada in September from the states and told the border patrol that I was coming to visit my partner for 6 weeks. My partner and I got married in November and we are applying for Permanent residency, from inland. What confuses me so much though is that in the paperwork, it asks for my current place of residence, and to prove the legitimacy of the relationship, we have to show proof of a shared address and accounts, etc. I get nervous because I'm supposed to be here as a visitor, as far as border patrol is concerned, and I'm not supposed to "live" here, so when I fill out the paperwork, I get confused about writing my residence as living here. I'm also finding it challenging to get my name on accounts, etc. without being a permanent resident. It feels like a catch 22. Mostly I just want to make sure that I'm SUPPOSED to put that I'm living here now on the application. Like I said, just some reassurance. If not- any input on what I'm supposed to be doing would be helpful

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I'm just looking for some assurance I guess. I came to Canada in September from the states and told the border patrol that I was coming to visit my partner for 6 weeks. My partner and I got married in November and we are applying for Permanent residency, from inland. What confuses me so much though is that in the paperwork, it asks for my current place of residence, and to prove the legitimacy of the relationship, we have to show proof of a shared address and accounts, etc. I get nervous because I'm supposed to be here as a visitor, as far as border patrol is concerned, and I'm not supposed to "live" here, so when I fill out the paperwork, I get confused about writing my residence as living here. I'm also finding it challenging to get my name on accounts, etc. without being a permanent resident. It feels like a catch 22. Mostly I just want to make sure that I'm SUPPOSED to put that I'm living here now on the application. Like I said, just some reassurance. If not- any input on what I'm supposed to be doing would be helpful

Thanks!
It's perfectly fine to put Canada as your current residence.

Reactions: Tricia Quinn

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Ok, so on the general application, question 10- current country of residence status, do I put "visitor" or "other"? None of the other options apply to me.

Thank you.
If you were admitted by Border officer as a visitor and you are applying for PR in-Canada under spousal sponsorship. Your current country of residence is Canada and your status is Visitor. In Canada, a 'residence' does not mean permanent residence but where you're residing/location. There are two categories of residence: temporary and permanent. I don't think you've violated any immigration rule for getting married, though you proposed staying for 6 weeks. The fact that, you've not stay more than 6-months make you in compliance. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Tricia Quinn

Aug 9, 2019
If you're admitted by Border officer as a visitor and you are applying for PR in-Canada under spousal sponsorship. Your current country of residence is Canada and your status is Visitor. In Canada, a 'residence' does not mean permanent residence but where you're residing/location. There are two categories of residence: temporary and permanent. I don't think you've violated any immigration rule for getting married, though you proposed staying for 6 weeks. The fact that, you've not stay more than 6-months make you in compliance. I hope that helps.
Perfectly-thank you so much!