visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,
I am a Uk citizen and my partner and I have just married :). She is from Quebec. We went to the Uk for christmas and have just returned to Quebec and are now applying for PR through spousal sponsorship(outland). I am presently here as a tourist and have been in and out of Canada on two previous occassions. I was questioned alot as to why I wanted to come back again which resulted in (for the first time) my passport being stamped with only 3 months stay rather than the normal 6 months. I understand I can apply 30 days before the exit date to extend my stay.

My question: How long can I request to extend? Can I request further extensions?

Ideally, I want to stay here whilst the application for permanent residency takes it course which based on present application times can be approximately 9 months.

Any help would be great for I have tried calling CIC but the recording tells me they are very busy and cut me off :(

CrazyLucy

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/08/2010
Med's Done....
24/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
07/11/2012
I'm pretty sure you can request 6 more months, but it's really at the discretion of the officer. I put in a 6 month date prior to my expiry date, but also made a note for them to decide on a decent date that they would like. I got 7 months once. I have extended close to 5-6 times! Just be honest in what you're doing, provide the paper work and things should be pretty smooth.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Yes that's quite normal. Once they realize you will either be in the country for an extended period or may have a reason not to leave (i.e. your spouse) they tend to either stamp your passport or issue you a visitor record (not a visa). You can do one of two things. Either apply for an extension of your visitor entry online or you can go to the Canada/U.S. border, exit Canada and immediately return. I have only ever done option two, and was never given the opportunity to request a specific period for my visitor entry/new visitor record. I have had my entry renewed at least 5 times since May 2010. Most times it was for 3 mths at a time, though the last was for 6 mths as the border guard saw that my PR application was in process (they can see it in their system). Others have commented on this site though that when they have applied for an extension online they have received up to a year long extension. If you're not near the border I would recommend doing the online extension even though it costs $75, since you're more likely to get a longer extension.

One note of caution, don't mention that you want an extension so you can "move here/live with your wife." You want to use less permanent sounding terminology such as, "staying with my wife while my PR application paperwork is processed." I know it sounds silly, but apparently people have been given a hard time for using the former phrasing.

Also, I personally don't know of a limit on extensions, though the first two times I had to get it extended (prior to my PR application being sent to Buffalo and entered into the system) I had to show proof that I was indeed being sponsored by my husband and applying for my PR. After that though they weren't bothered at all to extend it for me.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
visanews said:
Hi guys,
I am a Uk citizen and my partner and I have just married :). She is from Quebec. We went to the Uk for christmas and have just returned to Quebec and are now applying for PR through spousal sponsorship(outland). I am presently here as a tourist and have been in and out of Canada on two previous occassions. I was questioned alot as to why I wanted to come back again which resulted in (for the first time) my passport being stamped with only 3 months stay rather than the normal 6 months. I understand I can apply 30 days before the exit date to extend my stay.

My question: How long can I request to extend? Can I request further extensions?

Ideally, I want to stay here whilst the application for permanent residency takes it course which based on present application times can be approximately 9 months.

Any help would be great for I have tried calling CIC but the recording tells me they are very busy and cut me off :(
A while ago, I did what you are planning to do, my wife is also from Quebec.
Pay for your permanent resident application, when you get close to the supposed end of current visit,
request an extension of stay (and include a copy of the receipt that you got for your PR application).
You can submit your application after payment, there is not a time limit that I am aware of.
You can request a one year extension of stay, I know people who have been granted such an extension.
Yes you can request multiple extensions. Apply by post, it adds time on "implied status" .

General hints - Anything you send to CIC, get proof of delivery, always copy everything before you send it.

"staying with my wife while my PR application paperwork is processed." is a good phrase to use.

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your advice guys. Really appreciate it :D

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I am at the time to apply for the extension and completing the papers as recommended by you. One question, when it asked for family member details, is this just for family members wishing to extend too or, should I be puting in my wifes details? i read the guide but it's not that clear or, I have having a "its a Monday morning" moment.

Visanews

CrazyLucy

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/08/2010
Med's Done....
24/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
07/11/2012
Pretty sure it's just you that is extending.