+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor applying for study permit help

Gstarr

May 29, 2013
I am on a visitor visa (UK) until June 29th. I want to apply for a study permit after June 6th even though I will have acceptance letter before then.
Do I need to extend my visitor visa first before applying for the study permit to allow for the processing time? Or once I submit my application will I be able to stay until I get an answer?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do I need to extend my visitor visa first before applying for the study permit to allow for the processing time?
You should be in UK legally.
By the way who long have been you staying in UK? And doing what?

Or once I submit my application will I be able to stay until I get an answer?
Depends on UK immigration rules.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gstarr said:
I am on a visitor visa (UK) until June 29th. I want to apply for a study permit after June 6th even though I will have acceptance letter before then.
Do I need to extend my visitor visa first before applying for the study permit to allow for the processing time? Or once I submit my application will I be able to stay until I get an answer?
You can apply from within Canada as long as you still have LEGAL status in Canada.
For your specific question, maybe you should call CIC call center, they will be able to give you the right answer.

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Gstarr said:
1. Since you can't apply for study permit to an office in Canada, you must apply to an overseas office, you have to apply for an extension of your visitor status in Canada.